X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achtung Dummies!!!!!!

Byles: Jamaica Needs To Create High-Value Jobs

Published:Friday | October 11, 2019 | 12:14 AM

Governor of the Bank of Jamaica, Richard Byles.

Many of the jobs currently being created in the Jamaican economy are comparable to the same low value-added ones produced two decades ago, according to the governor of the Bank of Jamaica, the BOJ.

“Thank goodness for them because they are jobs, and the people getting them didn’t have any before,” said Richard Byles. “But they are the same jobs that we produced 20 years ago, whether it is in the hotel sector (or) the BPO business. It’s the same kind of low value-added.”
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

We're on this Richie B...

Governor Byles, speaking against the background of anaemic economic growth, suggested that the only solution to that is a better educated workforce.

“And that goes back to primary school, secondary school and what you train people for at university level,” he said, while addressing a media luncheon at the central bank’s headquarters on the Kingston waterfront on Wednesday.
    TEAM Works has arranged (so far) for ~1300 kids/year in robotics programs covering ~40 schools as of 2020...projected at 120 schools in ~3 years hosting ~6000 students/year when our primary school programs come online

Kids learning product ideation, rapid prototyping, product design & iteration, construction engineering, CAD, Python programming, product testing, technical writing, business proposal development, marketing & branding, high level presentation to business sponsors & stakeholders etc

Leading the way...

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Governor Byles, speaking against the background of anaemic economic growth, suggested that the only solution to that is a better educated workforce.

“And that goes back to primary school, secondary school and what you train people for at university level,” he said, while addressing a media luncheon at the central bank’s headquarters on the Kingston waterfront on Wednesday.
      Biles is totally correct. While that entails STEM it also entails a lot more. It entail studies in management, accounting, Tourism, Studies in sports, banking, economics, communication,the Medical field and many more. He is saying we are producing low value, jobs but we can do better with education to bring move value. That is what in a nutshell Mr. Byles is saying. STEM is a part of the solution but not all of it.

Thank you for your contribution though.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No one is saying scitech is "all of" anything. Why do you make up so much bullshiit?? You're trying to deflect from reality.

I've repeatedly stated that tourism should be maintained and expanded...as it has value. But just far from the value-adding impact required to move the development needle.

Byles is clearly stating that Jamaica cannot rely on low level/low value-adding jobs like those in tourism & BPO. Essentially those industries cannot lead JA to a bright future. Just more of the same BS.

Wake up and leggo yuh foolfool thinking yuteman. Nuh tek it from mi...Si di Big Man ah tell yuh wat o-clock-a-strike

Now go forth and sin no more wid yuh tourism fantasies

Comment

He is not talking about all jobs in tourism. I understand that.

Do you understand most firm who hire high end employees also have "Loe skilled value added jobs as well??? You can be the man who clean the shop floor or the man who makes the designs. You can be the man who clean the floor or be the man you design the hotel. You can be the man who produce the record or the man who listen to it when it is done.

Wake and smell the coffee. Education is needed to change all of that.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            He is not talking about all jobs in tourism. I understand that.

Do you understand most firm who hire high end employees also have "Loe skilled value added jobs as well??? You can be the man who clean the shop floor or the man who makes the designs. You can be the man who clean the floor or be the man you design the hotel. You can be the man who produce the record or the man who listen to it when it is done.

Wake and smell the coffee. Education is needed to change all of that.
            There you go again with a irrelevant deflections about job categories and that "education is needed"

As to education some don't wait on government...but implement winning programs which demonstrate to Govt what's needed to upgrade JA wwith modern skills and how to implement same

Not all but the overwhelming majority of JA tourism jobs are low skilled That's why the industry is defined as "low skill"

When I informed you many times that tourism was indeed a low-skill industry completely unable to lead Jamaica to progress...you and others like Jangle and HL were complaining and yapping lots of incoherent rubbish.

Now that I've shown that the BOJ Governor has stated the same thing as I have numerous times...yuh try deflect....and the others are as quiet as Dummies

Time to wake up and smell the coco tea yuteman. Tourism as I've often stated..is EXTREMELY important to JA at its current low development level so it should continue and even expand.

But tourism...JA's "leading industry"... is completely unable to lead the economy to prosperity because its low value-adding, low-skilled and extremely dependent on imports (70+% leakage of its FX earnings for imports to sustain the sector).

So the net tourism earnings to JA are ~25% of the total earnings

Other sectors with the potential for transformative change MUST be developed if the country is to progress

Argument done and class dismissed
            Last edited by Don1; June 10, 2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Yes most of Jamaica tourism jobs are not high skilled but we can make it better.

Where is the high skilled STEM Jobs in Jamaica? oh let me think. Hmm. The fact is like Tourism we can make it better.

When you talking about government, we can talk, that is a different story. They need to do better but a lot more can be done by other entities including you and I.

If you educate students and give them the choice, then hopefully the will make wise choice, whether is STEM, Tourism, or Little Lenny who was on his way to be a lawyer until music hit him and today he is living off his royalties. Education is the foundation.

Comment

Showing the powers be how change is implemented...

Originally posted by Don1

“Thank goodness for them because they are jobs, and the people getting them didn’t have any before,” said Richard Byles. “But they are the same jobs that we produced 20 years ago, whether it is in the hotel sector (or) the BPO business. It’s the same kind of low value-added.”

The Boss
                Last edited by Don1; June 10, 2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Yuteman...are you really trying to change the conversation to one about education??? If so this is good. It appears you've conceded that low level tourism is unable to propel JA. This is some growth on your part....Congrats!

It only took 10 years of hammering

However since I have a significant JA presence in that field your yapping about education is not news to me. But thanks for the reminder

Comment

I am not trying to change anything. That is what I have been telling you that education our people is priority number one so they have choices and can choose better jobs which will enhance their earnings in their chose field.

It so happen that there are more jobs in tourism than anywhere else in Jamaica right now.

Comment

and I support any positive initiatives I see in Education.

Comment

Good that you now understand that tourism is not the solution to lead Jamaica’s development drive 👍🏿

Comment

Tourism is a part of any development solution to drive Jamaica forward.

Notice I say a part?? That is all we have been saying, it is vital for us to optimize it while growing other streams as discussed.

Comment

Don't be deceitful. The fact that tourism is an essential part of Jamaica's economic matrix has never been in doubt. I repeatedly stated that so there's no discussion there

You had BIG issues with my description of tourism as a "low level" or low value-adding industry...unable to lead the way to a strong economy. This of course is 100% correct. Now that you've seen Byles state EXACTLY THAT...you're as silent as a church mouse on the subject.

The issue has been whether or not tourism is capable of being the "leading industry" propelling Jamaica's economic development i.e. transformation. Of course it's not possible for that low-skill industry. If it's not clear to you now your case is hopeless

Your maneuvering or obfuscation of the facts won't work yuteman. Byles has proved you to be completely off base so stop embarrassing yourself
                            Last edited by Don1; June 10, 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

The fact is like most things in Jamaica the earning can improve if we have the right policies and make effort and train people.

Jamaica is not poor because ow what we don't have but because we don't maximze it. Even if we have the youths train in STEM and they have nowhere to go they will be underemployed. Policies make a big difference. An example is the Tourism enhancement Fund which generate Billions that wasn't there before. Provide quality goods and service and an keep on the cutting edge and the dollar will fiow. Another example is the Tourism retirement fund which make sure +worker can retire and still have an income. Another thing that is been worked on is housing so more can own a home and it give them equity. Some of the basic stuff that can be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X