COVID: The X - VIEW !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID: The X - VIEW !

I started working in Brooklyn at a level one hospital in east new york as a registered nurse to gain critical thinking skills. A level one hospital is for trauma patients i.e. gunshots, stab wounds , overdose ,schizo ,car crashes , homeless HIV ,dementia/schizo illegals, some basically living there for years in the hospital, name it I have seen it and treated it. This hospital had cardiac drips and ventilators running on med surg floors to the point where the patients were all but rotting to the bone and weeping dead ,if the family didn’t pull the plug (DNR) and believe me some didn’t.

Running a code in that hospital in Brooklyn was guaranteed at least twice a week. You don’t see that in long Island. Working in L.I was a culture shock. It was easy to the point of boredom, what these RNs do in L.I, I thought never existed, in other words it was heaven. The hardest thing for these nurses was putting in an I.V and coming out of Brooklyn that was like basic training.

I moonlighted from Brooklyn, Queens to Long Island from Oncology , ER , Tele, SICU to ICU , just for the experience and I found peace of mind on Step Down ICU. I love the pace, not too fast or slow.

I heard about the Corona Virus and watched the news, search the net for information because I saw it coming to NY. NY is one of the major arteries to the USA, 40 % of the immigrant population comes through JFK to assimilate in the NY or the wider America. I took a trip to see my parents in Florida at end of January and I was the only one wearing a mask on the plane, it raised my eyebrows that no one took it seriously, I returned in early February to work and no sign of the COVID drama.

Middle of march , I watched my patient’s signs and symptoms to see if I saw anything that mirrored what I was reading/ watching on T.V.,I saw nothing much. I was off for 4 days and came back to being floated to the ICU, to help out the new COVID arrivals, still I wasn’t worried. The ICU holds 15 patients and I basically took care of regular ICU patients that night because the supplies they had were reserved for ICU nurses trained to work with EBOLA patients ( yeah the expected pandemic under Obama that never came ).

I was off again for 4 days came back to Stepdown Intensive Care Unit(SICU). It’s a 34-patient unit that receives patient from ICU being downgraded or patients upgraded from any part of the hospital that doesn’t need intensive care. we had 5 COVID patients , that coded 4 times for the shift , the regular attending physicians were still coming in to see their patients, this still didn’t bother me ( Coded means intubated put on a drip or passed away). I felt I was back in Brooklyn mode. I was off again for a couple days and expected to come back to the same routine, if that.

I came back again , half the floor were COVID patients and I was in charge of the floor, I haven’t run so much since I left Brooklyn, 3 days on , working with ICU nurses on my floor (SICU) , patients coding twice per shifts with limited supplies, dwindling gowns, gloves and masks. It didn’t hit me when I saw the old guy/woman on a vent , raised my eye brows when I saw the young girls/ guys on vents and jolted me, when a big strapping 40 y.o plus guy starting frothing pink stuff and I touched him to insert an I.V and he felt like slimy ice, that this virus isn’t normal. I was shook !

I was off again and came back to my 34 bed unit, flooded with COVID patients, this isn’t normal. 250 - 350 bed hospital has an ICU unit that holds 7 to 15 patients, My hospital had three times that, 2 floors with 34 plus Vented patients , supplies are rationed , mask to last a weak, gown re-used , face mask re-used , googles re-used. It’s to the point where staff are buying their own protective equipment(PPE). Every regular medsurg floor has at least 6 COVID patients with the ventilated ones reserved for SICU and ICU.

The attendings don’t show up anymore. The codes are not run any more like the standard code. They say it’s like a war, well kinda except in a war, you go all out to save your own people. This virus denies you that. Hospitals are being run by trauma physicians, NPS and PAs,in other words standard medicine isn’t being practiced, its trauma medicine where one of the tenets is save supplies, staff/self, 1st so you can save others that the trauma chief deems saveable .

In a trauma situation you are supposed give CPR( cardio -pulmonary (lung) chest compression - resuscitation) in a code . The fact that this virus is droplet and airborne, how can I say it, given the lack of PPE, CPR ,is now Cardio- Resuscitation. Use your imagination.

The hardest /saddest part of all this , is these patients are dying alone , families call all day because no one can visit the hospital and physicians are too busy dealing with this virus to call anyone.

Infection control is out the window, meaning every clinician, physician, PA, NP, Nurse has been in contact with that virus because of low or no supply( I call it rolling in mud ), staffing is at a low because of sick calls or scared calls. If we don’t get supplies in a week or two, we have lost this battle and I don’t see how we stop it for another year, especially given these moronic Midwest/southern states lack of shutting down. Personally I think we all (the staff) have built up an immunity to it, thank the lord no one ended up on a Vent.

If it’s like this in L.I , then its ten times worse in queens, BK, Bronx and Manhattan. Nursing homes are incubation centers in my opinion.

Until NY controls this virus and the rest of the states follows N.Y lead ,it will be raging like a wildfire, popping up and blazing at every opportunity, until everyone gets the message.

Lock the ****ing nation down.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

you're a nurse?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
      you're a nurse?

A registered certified RN: PCCN !

Homie !

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Boss my heart goes out to you. My wife is a RN too and could have written this.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I have a few friends who are nurses in NY. One came down positive but she is doing better now and will be going back to the fight.

As I said before, respect due to every frontline worker who are putting their life at risk every minute.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

when this is all over we revisit this murse ting...now is not the appropriate time...

Comment

Stay safe bro. Respect
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

2 nurses I know just came down with it , one works at my hospital, coded and intubated, the other one, I just personally took to the hospital.

This is crazy, i had to fight with my ER to admit the person. They want them to go home and call 911, after going in respiratory distress. THE RATIONAL IS THEY DONT HAVE BEDS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
                  2 nurses I know just came down with it , one works at my hospital, coded and intubated, the other one, I just personally took to the hospital.

This is crazy, i had to fight with my ER to admit the person. They want them to go home and call 911, after going in respiratory distress. THE RATIONAL IS THEY DONT HAVE BEDS.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

UPDATE, after kicking me out, they discharged the person 2 hours later.

Comment

Brother X, the Lord be with you.

I know many who are the same loving service as you are. They are friends and relatives. Some have passed on due to COVID, others are ill, some have recovered, and the others are just going to work to give loving care regardless of the conditions and the risks. A male nurse in NYC, wo was in boarding school with me in Jamaica, fell to covid a few days ago. It saddened me. My aunt, who is a nurse manager in NYC, is in her 18th day of good recovery at home. So many doctor and nurse relatives and friends, from Jamaica, do medical and wellness care in NYC.

While we harass each other about football and politics, we care about each other and hold each other in our hearts.

Blessings.
                      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Sir X, I salute you and others fighting on the COVID-19 "front lines".......Stay safe my brother.

Comment

Bless their hearts and soul, I am sure they have told you the horror stories. Stories I cant post here, the mental torment of all practioners at this moment,is protect self and family 1st by not bringing home the virus vs calling in sick and not being able to help patients and support your fellow practioners. 99.9 % choose to help patients and fellow practioners. I know one nurse that quit and I dont blame her, she just recovered from cancer. Alot call in sick, most do overtime to help and believe me, we know its a loosing battle, we all pray we have built up some immunity because of the lack of PPE.

Comment

Thanks, funny enough I salute those in the service industry that go to work, the mail man, take out restaurants, garbage man ,housekeepers, janitors ,laubdromats , police officers , military etc . They have less protection than me and they are out there keeping this nation running.

Comment

and the people in the manfacturing sector who continue to manufacture the goods and services especially the ones who work on essential stuff. I have to go in every so often to check on some things and but I see people continue to work and produce the goods although they wanted to go to their families.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X