Let's have Spanish as a second language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's have Spanish as a second language

While patois is the language most widely spoken by Jamaicans, we must acknowledge that it is of no use for external communication, and we do need a second language for that purpose.

Some years ago, the Ministry of Education under the late Sir Florizel Glasspole declared Spanish Jamaica's second language. It is time that we really make it so. Why? Jamaica is located in the middle of the Western Hemisphere in which the vast majority of the population are Spanish-speaking.
    If only we could recognise the inanity of these statements. First, the writer recognises tha Patwah is "the language most widely spoken by Jamaicans". The writer wants us to declare Spanish as a seond language.

HUH?!!

So where does that leave English?!

I will say it again - until we recognise formally and officially that Patwah as a national and official language of Jamaica, and acknowledge it as our first language, we will never begin to master English. English needs to be recognised as an official language and also our SECOND language. Until this happens all other peoples of the world will continue to speak better English than we do, even though they were brought up speaking other native languages.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...guage_19229684

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    If only we could recognise the inanity of these statements. First, the writer recognises tha Patwah is "the language most widely spoken by Jamaicans". The writer wants us to declare Spanish as a seond language.

HUH?!!

So where does that leave English?!

I will say it again - until we recognise formally and officially that Patwah as a national and official language of Jamaica, and acknowledge it as our first language, we will never begin to master English. English needs to be recognised as an official language and also our SECOND language. Until this happens all other peoples of the world will continue to speak better English than we do, even though they were brought up speaking other native languages.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...guage_19229684
    So Patwa being the clear & unassailable #1.... English would be 3rd??

Not a backside!!!

Hinglish fi Numba 2 mi seh!!!!!!!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

That's what I am saying. I couldn't care less where Spanish want to end up. But we must start by recognizing Patwah as No. 1, then English would be our No. 2. And then we will start to actually learn it as a foreign language and speak and write it better than we have been doing for the past 400 years!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What yuh seh, Porque no te calles?

Comment

Porque? Or por que?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mandarin Chinese, Russian & Arabic. Spanish is old school second language.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Mandarin Chinese, Russian & Arabic. Spanish is old school second language.
              You may be onto something!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Porque no?

Comment

Cantonese taste better.

Comment

You're quite right. The article makes utmost sense but the writer lost his/her way in the last two paragraphs as you indicated.

English in Primary schools should be delivered as ESL and Spanish (or whichever other language) "they" deem another desirable language can also be added to the curriculum say at Grade 4 (arbitrary). The experts can figure out how and when is best. I suspect that part of the problem is that the instructors (of English as a subject) are not much more literate in the language than the students they teach. I could be wrong here... as i have no evidence to back up that statement.
                    Peter R

Comment

All I know, all Jamaican who can should learn another language and mi nah talk Patois. If Patois is second language then make another language a third. Even just basic understanding and greetings

If we want to sell things, communicate with others, and for it is good for career.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        All I know, all Jamaican who can should learn another language and mi nah talk Patois. If Patois is second language then make another language a third. Even just basic understanding and greetings

If we want to sell things, communicate with others, and for it is good for career.
                        How yuh get patwah to be a second language? Patwah is our first language, our native tongue, our mother tongue! Yuh cyaan rekagnize dat?!

Smh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          I suspect that part of the problem is that the instructors (of English as a subject) are not much more literate in the language than the students they teach. I could be wrong here... as i have no evidence to back up that statement.
                          That is fact! Our teachers, many of them, need to learn English as a foreign language before them can even think of pedagogy in that field.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

¿Por qué no te callas?... it should be!

If yuh haxin: "Wha mek yu nuh shet yu mout'?"
                            Peter R

Comment

You see, Willi learned Spanish on the streets of Barcelona, while you and I studied the king's Spanish.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X