My story on sharing Jamaica’s rich culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story on sharing Jamaica’s rich culture

We all hear of different misconceptions people have of Jamaicans. Well, here’s a shortened version of my story.

It was at the age of 23 when I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and move to a country in which English was neither the first language nor where I knew anyone. I am from a very large family, many of whom live in different parts of the world, my father’s side being Cuban and my mother’s primarily of Italian descent.

Many of my students could relate, because Jamaica is relatively in close proximity to Colombia. However, some did have their misconceptions about Jamaica, which I was more than happy to clarify.

Some of them asked me if I smoke weed regularly and live by the beach. I felt like a broken record, with my answers always being“no” and “no”. I informed them that even though I live on a small tropical island, the beach is not my backyard, and not all Jamaicans smoke weed.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/c...s-rich-culture
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Working...
X