No announcement yet.

AIRBNB Debate heats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conspiracy and propaganda yuh a spread pan di dread.Yes I disagreed that AirBNB should be taxed ( now).I gave the context of 5 years before any tax should be implemented,2nd I suggested how that tax revenue should be spent, 3rd I didnt advocate for how that tax should be collected,to the point of providing a reference of how they collect it in the states,also asking you if government doesn't have the right to comes up with another way of taxing owners if it chooses !

Jangle say reading is overrated.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

how about no tax on individuals like the GOJ/JTB is pressing ahead with?

Comment

I can live with that,as I stated in my Initial post,the revenue spent by local Airbnb owners/host and tourist who uses these establishment far outweighs the taxes collected,but if there must be a tax,it should be for specific use in education and healthcare.

People dont realize the residual industries that spin off from Airbnb in construction and housekeeping labor.Not just new construction but to upgrade and upkeep property.

That is my position.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

okay good...so you agree with bartlett/GOJ/JTB & disagree with thr JHTA position...in other words kudos to bartlett & the GOJ...now was that so hard?

Comment

OK boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              ay dios mio...first of all we don't know if AIRBNB will be passing the cost along...secondly, if the individual operator or the visitor is willing to pay the extra charge then that determines the market rate...if they don't want to pay it they can advertise their property elsewhere or go and stay at a non AIRBNB accommodation & AIRBNB will go out of business...it's called a free market economy...the law of supply and demand is the regulator...neat concept isn't it comrade?
              Listen now Brick, you say some of the most laughable things sometimes. Its unbelievable.

You dont kwow if AB and B will pass the charge on?. Which planet are you from bro?.
              If the consumer dont want to pay the extra passed-on charge then they just go and stay in one of the legacy hotels?. Isnt that what the JHT and its crony capitalists wanted in the first place?.How would that help to spread pieces of the tourism pie around?. Isnt that what the government is giving lip service to?. How do you square that circle?.
              We have to let the government practice what they preach, because if they dont, then what they preach is only a speech. A speech cant reach.

Comment

ay dios mio...first of all we don't know if AIRBNB will be passing the cost along...secondly, if the individual operator or the visitor is willing to pay the extra charge then that determines the market rate...if they don't want to pay it they can advertise their property elsewhere or go and stay at a non AIRBNB accommodation & AIRBNB will go out of business...it's called a free market economy...the law of supply and demand is the regulator...neat concept isn't it comrade?
                Law of supply and demand works in a free market system not in a crony-capitalist system. Jamaica is anything but a free market.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Everybody want service but no tax. Air B&B have to be regulated and make sure basic standards are kept. Charging a small Levy is ok. I think this was published as part of the agreement.

It is the best way to go. You want to make sure the guest house are in order and the government know the addresses of these houses etc. That service cost something.
                  So Sass when the visitors come to Ja and buy some rum in a bar, they dont pay taxes on the alcohol?. The question is "should the GOJ be nickle and diming everything to a point where it kills a cottage industry in its embryonic state?".

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
                    If the consumer dont want to pay the extra passed-on charge then they just go and stay in one of the legacy hotels?. Isnt that what the JHT and its crony capitalists wanted in the first place?.How would that help to spread pieces of the tourism pie around?. Isnt that what the government is giving lip service to?. How do you square that circle?.
                    We have to let the government practice what they preach, because if they dont, then what they preach is only a speech. A speech cant reach.
                    You assume that Airbnb is the only hospitality service brokerage company in existence...they aren't...you have flipkey...turnkey...homeaway...vrbo...booking.com. ..and on & on & on...so no they won't go to a legacy hotel...they will go to an alternate hospitality service brokerage company...that's the beauty of a free market economy...it encourages competition...which drives down prices & enhances freedom of choice...like you have in the USA...wonderful isn't it?

Comment

Exactly Doc.Its a new industry ,wait until it has reached a level pass infancy and set and walking on its legs.

Comment

is booking.com blocked in jamaica?
                        is flipkey.com blocked in jamaica?
                        is turnkeyvr.com blocked in jamaica?
                        is homeaway.com blocked in jamaica?...
                        is vrbo.com blocked in jamaica?

what do you mean jamaica is anything but a free market? it could be said that we have a freer market than the USA...you can set up a business & run it for years here without GOJ even bothering you...you have a warped kind of victim mentality...an unfounded pessimism...jamaica moved past those dark PNP days...the country upbeat now & moving forward with strong fiscal policies...you comrades prediction of doom & gloom hasn't come to fruition...

Comment

is booking.com blocked in jamaica?
                          is flipkey.com blocked in jamaica?
                          is turnkeyvr.com blocked in jamaica?
                          is homeaway.com blocked in jamaica?...
                          is vrbo.com blocked in jamaica?

what do you mean jamaica is anything but a free market? it could be said that we have a freer market than the USA...you can set up a business & run it for years here without GOJ even bothering you...you have a warped kind of victim mentality...an unfounded pessimism...jamaica moved past those dark PNP days...the country upbeat now & moving forward with strong fiscal policies...you comrades prediction of doom & gloom hasn't come to fruition...
                          There you go again. You mention these altenatives. Do you know how many alternatives there are to Uber and Lyft worldwide, but how many cab drivers are ready to jump ship and move to those when Uber and to a lesser extent Lyft are essentially synonymous to ride sharing. They are flagships. Ignore the flagships and you starve. Its the same with AB and B. They are well capitalized, establish brands. Dont be naive Brick.

Comment

your point eludes me...brand jamaica is way bigger than brand AirBNB...AirBNB is the flagship hospitality service brokerage company...if AirBNB went away tomorrow visitors would utilise an alternate service..of which there are many...you think people come to Jamaica because of AirBNB?

Comment

It is not killing the Air B&B industry. The people who are feeling it the hardest are the small hoteliers who have have under 20 rooms who have to pay this tax.

I am not sure how much the cess is but it is been charged from 2016 based on what is reported and it hasn't affected the industry. You want the industry list in database, registered and monitored. God forbid people start have chink and bed bugs or anything similar to what happen at DR not so long ago. I certainly is not thinking of any draconian taxes, at the same time the government need to promote Air B&B too as part of that drive,
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

your point eludes me...brand jamaica is way bigger than brand AirBNB...AirBNB is the flagship hospitality service brokerage company...if AirBNB went away tomorrow visitors would utilise an alternate service..of which there are many...you think people come to Jamaica because of AirBNB?
                                Brand Jamaica is bigger than brand AB and B?. What yardstick are you using to do your measurement. I dont know, but what is the market capitalization of AB and B and what is the GDP of Jamaica and what is left over after we service our loans?. I am just interested in the numbers if you have them.

Comment

Working...
                                X