X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schäfer wants Bolt to be Reggae Boy

Published: Sunday | March 2, 2014 15 Comments

Schäfer

Sprinter Bolt poses for pictures with a Manchester United shirt before Manchester United's English Premier League soccer match against Fulham, showing the world record time for the 100m sprint at Old Trafford on August 12, 2012.- File

1 2 >

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Audley[/color][/color] Boyd, Assistant Editor - SportIMAGINE [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Jamaica[/color][/color] tackling Mexico, Honduras, the United States, or any other football team for that matter. The team is pushed back into defence, then wins the ball and launches a counter attack. On the end of that play is [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Usain[/color][/color] Bolt.
    Winfried Schäfer wants that to be a reality.
    The German, who officially signed on as head coach of the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Reggae [COLOR=blue !important]Boyz[/color][/color][/color] for the 2018 World Cup campaign, is ready to provide the world's fastest man an opportunity to utilise his much-stated football ambition, only this time in the national team.
    "In the German newspaper, I read about [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Usain [COLOR=blue !important]Bolt[/color][/color][/color] saying he wants to play football and he wants to play in Manchester. He's a Jamaican and I want him to be on our team," Schäfer told The Sunday Gleaner, while conducting duties as guest editor for the company's World Cup project, which will be launched on Tuesday.
    The sprint icon has openly stated his love for football with English Premier League team Manchester United being his international team of choice. He has even been there for training, having gotten an invitation from legendary coach Sir Alex Ferguson.
    He has also played a number of charity games locally, displaying good skills and a hard left-footed kick, oftentimes scoring.
    While in his homeland for Christmas holidays, Schäfer said he received more encouraging news about Bolt's footballing skills, which spiked his interest.
    "I heard from Puma, the Puma boss, (Bjorn Gulden, CEO). He said he (Bolt) played many times on the small team and he's not bad.
    "But we can make him better," Schäfer remarked. "When he has good training with our team here in Jamaica, we can make him a very good player. He's very fast, that's clear, but when he learns with the ball then he'll be one of the best players.
    Jamaican hero
    "This is our goal," the Reggae Boyz coach insisted. "Maybe after the Olympics in Brazil (2016), I want to see him here in our training, that is what I want to tell him.
    I hope he wants to play for his country.
    "He's a hero here in Jamaica and I think when he learns how to play with the ball and know what he has to do he'll be much better. Football is easy and I know he played many times in joke match or match for charity. But when he plays professional and I'm his coach, we can make him very good; maybe the best player for counter-attack, nobody can stop him," Schäfer assured.
    Bolt, the 100m (9.58 seconds) and 200m (19.19) world record holder, and Olympic and World champion over both sprints, is also sponsored by German sports goods manufacturers, Puma, which is also contracted to the national track body, the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA). The football coach says teaming up with his Boyz - who will play Barbados in a friendly in Bridgetown today - would boost its marketing impact.
    "I talk with Puma in Germany many times. I was in Germany in December, January ... the marketing would be the best for Jamaica when he comes into our team. The stadium would be full, we can go in all stadiums in the world and everybody would come ... and this will provide motivation for our young players.
    "Usain Bolt is one of the best marketing men in the world," said Schäfer, mulling the possibilities of Bolt becoming one of the Reggae Boyz.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Dream on In Arrogance or Just Joking

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
    Published: Sunday | March 2, 2014 15 Comments

Schäfer

Sprinter Bolt poses for pictures with a Manchester United shirt before Manchester United's English Premier League soccer match against Fulham, showing the world record time for the 100m sprint at Old Trafford on August 12, 2012.- File

1 2 >

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Audley[/color][/color] Boyd, Assistant Editor - SportIMAGINE [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Jamaica[/color][/color] tackling Mexico, Honduras, the United States, or any other football team for that matter. The team is pushed back into defence, then wins the ball and launches a counter attack. On the end of that play is [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Usain[/color][/color] Bolt.
    Winfried Schäfer wants that to be a reality.
    The German, who officially signed on as head coach of the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Reggae [COLOR=blue !important]Boyz[/color][/color][/color] for the 2018 World Cup campaign, is ready to provide the world's fastest man an opportunity to utilise his much-stated football ambition, only this time in the national team.
    "In the German newspaper, I read about [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Usain [COLOR=blue !important]Bolt[/color][/color][/color] saying he wants to play football and he wants to play in Manchester. He's a Jamaican and I want him to be on our team," Schäfer told The Sunday Gleaner, while conducting duties as guest editor for the company's World Cup project, which will be launched on Tuesday.
    The sprint icon has openly stated his love for football with English Premier League team Manchester United being his international team of choice. He has even been there for training, having gotten an invitation from legendary coach Sir Alex Ferguson.
    He has also played a number of charity games locally, displaying good skills and a hard left-footed kick, oftentimes scoring.
    While in his homeland for Christmas holidays, Schäfer said he received more encouraging news about Bolt's footballing skills, which spiked his interest.
    "I heard from Puma, the Puma boss, (Bjorn Gulden, CEO). He said he (Bolt) played many times on the small team and he's not bad.
    "But we can make him better," Schäfer remarked. "When he has good training with our team here in Jamaica, we can make him a very good player. He's very fast, that's clear, but when he learns with the ball then he'll be one of the best players.
    Jamaican hero
    "This is our goal," the Reggae Boyz coach insisted. "Maybe after the Olympics in Brazil (2016), I want to see him here in our training, that is what I want to tell him.
    I hope he wants to play for his country.
    "He's a hero here in Jamaica and I think when he learns how to play with the ball and know what he has to do he'll be much better. Football is easy and I know he played many times in joke match or match for charity. But when he plays professional and I'm his coach, we can make him very good; maybe the best player for counter-attack, nobody can stop him," Schäfer assured.
    Bolt, the 100m (9.58 seconds) and 200m (19.19) world record holder, and Olympic and World champion over both sprints, is also sponsored by German sports goods manufacturers, Puma, which is also contracted to the national track body, the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA). The football coach says teaming up with his Boyz - who will play Barbados in a friendly in Bridgetown today - would boost its marketing impact.
    "I talk with Puma in Germany many times. I was in Germany in December, January ... the marketing would be the best for Jamaica when he comes into our team. The stadium would be full, we can go in all stadiums in the world and everybody would come ... and this will provide motivation for our young players.
    "Usain Bolt is one of the best marketing men in the world," said Schäfer, mulling the possibilities of Bolt becoming one of the Reggae Boyz.
    Well the hype is for marketing the JFF is exhausting. Lets pray Bolts says nothing for it's real funny article and a bit embarrassing to these guys.

Comment

Schaeffer is on to something here !

Man woulda pay nuff money fi si Bolt racing to goal.... what Luton Shelton have over Bolt ?

Comment

You nuh hear Shaefer say if him did have Bolt in the team, him coulda line up the German sponsors???? That is all them asking bout.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If Bolt plays for the Reggae Boyz, maybe JFF can get a better deal from Puma than from Kappa. Bolt would be a great drawing card in foreign stadiums.

Comment

If the JFF & Schafer want to attract & secure REAL and LASTING sponsorship & support for the ReggaeBoyz, they should develop & implement an efficient & effective National Football Development Plan, aimed at 1. Training & development of coaches, trainers & other personnel, 2. Training & development of players, and 3. Development of training & playing facilities.
            This Bolt "plan" is just another short-sighted, quick fix approach, which is more of a gimmick than a REAL plan for Jamaica's football development & growth.

Comment

I hear Vin Blaine said he is going to implement a cost efficient nation development program. Notice he is not saying selection and cost efficient. A that we say long time. I will watch him and hopefully he will follow through. The Bolt thing could never be a long term thing but if you have it why not use it??? It is headline grapping, Manu, and Real also used it to grab headlines.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I like that kind of "musing".

The coach shows he clearly understand the business of football....
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Nothing

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  You nuh hear Shaefer say if him did have Bolt in the team, him coulda line up the German sponsors???? That is all them asking bout.
                  Bolt is a faithful person to Jamaica. He love football but not ready to give away his track career. By the time he might (????) be ready Schaefer would be long gone.

Comment

Spot On

Originally posted by USAF View Post
                    If the JFF & Schafer want to attract & secure REAL and LASTING sponsorship & support for the ReggaeBoyz, they should develop & implement an efficient & effective National Football Development Plan, aimed at 1. Training & development of coaches, trainers & other personnel, 2. Training & development of players, and 3. Development of training & playing facilities.
                    This Bolt "plan" is just another short-sighted, quick fix approach, which is more of a gimmick than a REAL plan for Jamaica's football development & growth.
                    You are spot on. They can't plan correctly so no Bolt. I met Bolt while training the August Town senior team about 4 weeks ago. A great person and a man growing in integrity. He is being mentor by a great coach and do you really think they both would go away from that plan!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't think he seriously want Bolt to don the jersey. But just the media hype would be worth it. Just like when "Chicho Uno" the football player started training with the soccer team it got some news coverage.

However it gives us an insight into the coach thinking. Speed up top.

Comment

Don't the Boyz already have enough speed demons with no touch or tactical sense?
                        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                        - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                          Don't the Boyz already have enough speed demons with no touch or tactical sense?
                          Wait, someone will soon invite you to watch the schoolboy leagues.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

....abundance of talent there Lazie. Nuff Nuff speed too
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                            X