Gentrification begins in Port Royal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentrification begins in Port Royal

“I was trying to make an appointment with the KSAMC, trying to speak to [CEO] Robert Hill. I had my agent get in touch with the KSAMC and I thought we had an understanding, only for us to now hear that the place has been taken over by outsiders. We don't even know where these people are from, and I have been working on this for about five years,” Grindley said.

He said the outside investor, with whom he has been in touch, identified himself as Christopher Johnson, who he said is currently overseas.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/front...3?profile=1606
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Originally posted by Sir X
    “I was trying to make an appointment with the KSAMC, trying to speak to [CEO] Robert Hill. I had my agent get in touch with the KSAMC and I thought we had an understanding, only for us to now hear that the place has been taken over by outsiders. We don't even know where these people are from, and I have been working on this for about five years,” Grindley said.

He said the outside investor, with whom he has been in touch, identified himself as Christopher Johnson, who he said is currently overseas.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/front...3?profile=1606
    X, why not present the entire story? Since there is a dispute, then this needs to be reviewed by the courts.

Did you read this far?

However, Hill, the KSAMC's CEO, debunked Grindley's claim of having an effective lease to the property and denied that there is a new lessee to the property.

“Mr Grindley would have erred in showing a copy of the lease because it was simply a draft for review. It was never effective or put through a committee,” Hill told the Observer yesterday.

“As we have it now, the property is under no lease whatsoever. What you see happening there are our persons who we have contracted to do some renovations on the existing structure, but there is no lease in effect,” Hill reiterated.

Grindley, however, is insisting that his lease was approved.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

1st off there is a link to the entire article for those who can read, 2nd the forum rules state you should only post a paragraph of an article. This was declared by a moderator years ago,3rd why yuh suh defensive.One of the residual effects of gentrification is litigation and its point of reference is always "outsiders"taking over or squezing them out.

That said I am not anti -gentrification,its good for the economy,it brought back Harlem, east NY brooklyn and South Jamaica Queens, same for Old Northwood area in West Palm Beach, all these I am personally familiar with.

The problem with gentrification is in places with lax laws or no laws, the rich developers set the laws,so poor people lose.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
        1st off there is a link to the entire article for those who can read, 2nd the forum rules state you should only post a paragraph of an article. This was declared by a moderator years ago,3rd why yuh suh defensive.One of the residual effects of gentrification is litigation and its point of reference is always "outsiders"taking over or squezing them out.

That said I am not anti -gentrification,its good for the economy,it brought back Harlem, east NY brooklyn and South Jamaica Queens, same for Old Northwood area in West Palm Beach, all these I am personally familiar with.

The problem with gentrification is in places with lax laws or no laws, the rich developers set the laws,so poor people lose.
        Not defensive one bit. The person in the article claimed he had a lease, the CEO says otherwise. Well, let the courts decide.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh sure bout dat, suh why are you attacking me for following the forum rules?

Comment

That’s because you stated your conclusion without all the facts based on one incident.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Gentrification is a tough thing but if you dont owned the property or want to upgrade the property then you cant complain. Much of gentrification is we dont own the property so we dont control our destiny. And btw this guys says he has had the lease since 2017 and have the place locked up... joke..

Comment

Jangle.

The fact is an outsider has leased property in Port Royal on a property another local individual says he has a lease on and the government says,no one has a lease.

What should I wait to conclude? Regardless of the outcome an outsider will more than likely be a litigant on substantive real estate property for development.

That is the hallmark sign of gentrification!

Comment

The fact is an outsider has leased property in Port Royal on a property another local individual says he has a lease on and the government says,no one has a lease.

What should I wait to conclude? Regardless of the outcome an outsider will more than likely be a litigant on substantive real estate property for development.

That is the hallmark sign of gentrification!
                  Clearly you did not read the entire article. The fact you are using to support your stance is disputed by the CEO. The CEO also says there is NO lease for the property.

That is the hallmark sign of you reaching a conclusion and trying to find facts to support it.

Comment

I see the problem ,with you two,its not that you cant read but comprehend.

Isnt the KSMAC,the government, so when I said this " The fact is an outsider has leased property in Port Royal on a property another local individual says he has a lease on and the government says,no one has a lease" Isnt that the government?

I will spoon feed you the CEO represents the governments interest,which is the KSMAC.

Lol

Comment

I see the problem ,with you two,its not that you cant read but comprehend.

Isnt the KSMAC,the government, so when I said this " The fact is an outsider has leased property in Port Royal on a property another local individual says he has a lease on and the government says,no one has a lease" Isnt that the government?

I will spoon feed you the CEO represents the governments interest,which is the KSMAC.

Lol
                      Gwaan twist and shout.

Comment

Cant help unnu Faada unnu caan pay mi fi teach comprehension...lol

Comment

comprehension is X strong point. Why poor you even bother?
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Di man say di CEO,said there is no lease.......lol, The CEO of what ?

The Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation,which operates within the government of Jamaica.

Comment

What should I wait to conclude?
                              This is not a fact, it is an allegation.

"However, Hill, the KSAMC's CEO, debunked Grindley's claim of having an effective lease to the property and denied that there is a new lessee to the property.

“Mr Grindley would have erred in showing a copy of the lease because it was simply a draft for review. It was never effective or put through a committee,” Hill told the Observer yesterday.

“As we have it now, the property is under no lease whatsoever. What you see happening there are our persons who we have contracted to do some renovations on the existing structure, but there is no lease in effect,” Hill reiterated.

Grindley, however, is insisting that his lease was approved.

“What I have is an acceptance and offer for a 20-year lease for the property, and I have been waiting for the go-ahead. They are changing the story now [saying] there is no lease on the property. It was a final thing that was sent for me to sign. They offered the terms, I accepted the terms and I signed it and sent it back. Significant sums have also been sent and the lease that I have, after getting the go-ahead I would have to pay $150,000 a year for the property,” said Grindley."

The story is muddled and the truth is somewhere hidden in the confusion. How much was the significant sum and what was it for?
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X