• Show
Clear All

• Coaching Development Produces Players

GSM INTERNATIONAL COACHING EDUCATION SERIES

PART ONE - SMALL SIDED GAMES – “Reasons for Player Development”

Reasons for Using Small Side Game in Your Training Sessions

SMALL SIDED GAMES – “Reasons for Player Development”

Reasons for Using Small Side Game in Your Training Sessions

Coaches….as we take on the responsibility to be the conduit for the development of our players match success and the development of our team’s match play. Small Side Games of functional and match related nature becomes one of several methods we need use for our team’s guaranteed success. Knowing that they are used world wide to develop top players into the professional ranks we need to know how and when to use them in our weekly training sessions. This type of training will promote more goals and stopping your opposition from scoring goals on your side. This is something all good coaching is about and of which we need must promote in the very nature of the game.

GSM International promotes through our international continual coaching education series several excellent courses, one of which is called “Coaching Small Side Games for Senior and Youth Players”. Come join us. Click on the link above for more information.

The below points are addressed in our coaching course training and you’ll be provided with exercises that will enhance your coaching methods and knowledge.

1. As coaches we want our players to have more individual repetition time and coaching time with the coach. Fewer players on the field are guaranteed this through just 11 vs. 11 training and continual over use of full scrimmages in practice sessions.

2. As coaches planning our weekly training session we need to often distance our players from the external undo pressures of the 11 Vs. 11 match. We will teach you how small side games will accomplish even better results for match success.

3. As coaches we want our players to enjoy the game for its own sake and their role functionally in both attack and defense. Various type of small sided game will do this.

4. As coaches we want our players to be creating more goal opportunities and scoring more goals from both the middle/central and flanks attacking areas and this will come through small sided games training.

5. As coaches we want our players to learn to play in attacking groups of 2s, 3s, and 4s and so on to go forward to create and score more goals with in the 11 vs. 11 attacking system your team plays.

6. Small Side Games create successful attacks through your system of play by having your players repeat their roles over and over on a smaller size fields with those team mates you attack with from your first attacking zone through the final zone.

7. Using Small Side Games will teach players their role in transition from attack to defense much easier.

8. Small Side Games that are both match related and functional in nature provide more repetition work for your goalkeepers in both their attacking and defending roles and in their relationships with their Backs in attack and defensive match situations.

9. Small Side Games designed correctly will provide a higher level of Aerobic and Anaerobic Football Fitness for players to player not only and a higher level of football fitness in their roles in attack and defense but a high level of pace (playing speed) for each player and general team speed.

10. Your team will simply understand how to better defend another team’s systems of play and be able to read an attacking team's shape.

11. Through the usage of small side games you will allow for your players to develop into creative thinking players that will hand you and themselves the result needed for a championship.

Good post!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Thanks Karl

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Good post!
      Karl,

I will do Part 2 Small sided game in the days ahead. If you think appropriate we can do more in the future, but do not want to clog up this page with my writings or else someone may think my head is to big. Only if it will be a help. Just cam back from Guyana and Jamaica.

My Best to You.

Paul

Comment

Go ahead with the Part 2.

I am sure some of us will find interesting this part of 'the game'.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Gsm Coaching Education Coaching Small Side Games Part 2

GSM INTERNATIONAL COACHING EDUCATION SERIES

PART TWO

COACHING SMALL SIDED GAMES

“Training Your Players with Small Sided Games"

Coaching Educational Benefits of Using Small Side Games

Let’s face it, if we can’t get players to play the “Good Game” (What the Rest of the World is Experiencing) to develop not only our own club’s program and potentially the level of play in our parish, confederation and eventually the nation we might as well remove ourselves from the coaching ranks. “This game is not about you the coach. It’s about the players”. We are there only to teach them and move their game and life forward. If you’ve had coaches who have done that for you know what I’m saying. If you’ve had coaches that the game was all about their egos and trying to force something out of you and never had anything to do with the game (like running all day long and never touching a football) then you need to never be like them and I hope that you’ve chosen to coach so you can impact your players by using the actual match like never before.

Small Side Games will do this with the right approach and one that is centered on only the game in both attack and defense. That’s what the player dreams about (remember your dreams), so be a dreamer with them and make the “Good Game” happen for them not for you. Your real playing days are coming to end or they may even be over.

Some of the results from taking our GSM International Coaching Courses can be as follows, but you won’t see them unless you attend. One thing we all need to do is always have a deep desire to never stop learning. Our GSM courses have always been open to any level of coach (from youth to a national level) and only for one reason, i.e. educate coaches to educate players. Come and join us.

WHAT SMALL SIDE GAMES CAN DO FOR YOUR TEAM

1. As coaches we want our players to touch the soccer ball more often to become more functionally and match related skillfully with it.

2. As coaches we want our players to make more quality decisions during the game and understand that they have a specific playing role but that their role can change do to the nature of the game. Example: Place changing in attacking and defense during a match as they may have to play another person job.

3. As coaches we want our players to be more physically efficient (technique or higher playing skill level, tactical awareness and match football fitness) in the field space in which they normally play in their position in a match.

4. As coaches we want our players to have more involved playing time in the game. (More opportunity to solve problems by themselves that only the game presents and without the coaches’ hammer away at them from the side lines verbal to create a disaster of the game).

5. As coaches we want our players to have more opportunities to play on both sides of the ball. (More exposure to attacking and defending situations)

6. As coaches we want our players to have more opportunities to create scoring opportunities in numbers of attempts and simply score goals and keeper to make more saves in training. (Pure excitement and of course what this great game is all about).

7. As coaches we want our players to touch the ball more often to become more functionally and match related tactically with other team mates to produce a better awareness (almost becoming instinctive) during full matches.

The “Small-Sided” environment is a developmentally appropriate environment for our soccer players. It’s a FUN environment that focuses on the player.

PHILOSOPHY and BENEFITS OF SMALL SIDED GAMES

In order to appreciate the structure behind small sided games and understand their philosophy usage is helpful. A sound philosophy will save time and provides continuity. It will have a consistent structure and include a set of assumptions upon which the decisions are based. The following are a few assumptions and the decisions that follow when using small sided games in your training

What players enjoy about the activity will differ. The motivation for playing will vary among individuals. Emphasize the elements of the real world wide game that appeal to the majority of participants.

Winning is important. The game was design to be won. Winning is the final objective. Coaching through small sided games moves players towards this objective.

A Team or playing groups objective is always composed of smaller objectives (or steps to achieve a goal). These are the proficiencies which must be mastered. Coach specific objectives for individual players playing role can be had through small side game training methods.

Learning is important. Learning then becomes a measurement by a permanent change in behavior in individual players, playing groups (like 2 forwards and 2 central midfield players) or the entire team’s play. Learning takes many forms through many methods. Some players learn fast while others make take a few more weeks of efforts, but still learning will take places from the readiness of the player or players state of acceptance that what you’re offering them really works for them because it make total sense.

The game provides the measure for success and when a player or groups of players have achieved multiple successes they start to believe they are being significant. The game embodies certain principles and structures for success. Evaluations are made by meeting the needs of the game. Small side games will allow you the coach evaluation and the player can evaluate better as well. Coaching then becomes for you to find an approach where by your players can start evaluating themselves. If you’re not using small side game our players are missing out.

Players learn to play soccer by playing soccer. They don't learn by doing something else. Use the game for change and not some other sport. Remember when they line up on the field and the ref blows the whistle they are not in the starting blocks to do a 100 meter race or a 5000 meter run.

The coach that does not stay ahead of his players holds back his players. As the players on your team grow, the coach must also grow. Educate your players by using and coaching the game. Your players know you better than you think. You can't hide from them when you stand next to them daily. They are ready to have something positive happen to them in their game and life.

SMALL SIDE GAMES: Less is more.......
          • More touches of the ball improve skill development.
          • More space, fewer numbers, less bunching. The enhancement of tactical awareness can take place. The game is less complicated and easier to understand.
          • More “fun” and personal enjoyment, take place due to small fields.
          • More playing time in training to encourages maximum individual participation.
          • More individual involvement improves fitness.
          • More responsibility, every player has greater opportunities to score, this builds their self -esteem and confidence.
          • More freedom of expression; there are in some exercises no positions; players will find their own position. A player can be a forward, midfielder, and defender during the course of the game. Players will migrate to areas of the field where they feel comfortable. Over time we will discover what their best position is for when they are older.
          • More experience in all phases of the game. There is no hiding nor is there a dominant player hogging the ball. Every player has a role to participate in all facets of the game attack and defense. The emphasis is on PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.

Comment

Nice!!

Skimmage wi seh!!
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Nice!!

Skimmage wi seh!!

CHEERS

Comment

GSM Coaching Football Leadership Series

"In today's game football leaders, coaches and administrator need to be able bring something to the table for others and not themselves. Some ideas about what football leaders need to do!"

Leaders Must Be Committed or Give It Up!

Commitment means more than the physical hard work and emotional energy it takes to do the work on and off the field. A significant level of mature commitment is also required. If you’re going to serve others through your passion for the game, you need to put in extra time to commit to your person developmental concerns for yourself and your team. Guess what? It’s a hard battle. You don’t give in and don’t give up. We’re to be lasting in our commitment to better ourselves to better our players.

There are characteristics that make up the commitment coaches need. They are very important if you are to be able to serve and move your passion forward. As you read some of the following, evaluate where you perceive yourself to be or where others would perceive you to be at this point in your coaching:

Give Yourself a Characteristic Overhaul

You Need to Love

You need to be honest and speak the truth in a caring manner and to do this it takes some love expressed correctly. Love is our greatest gift for others. Carrying and showing your love goes beyond the field. Love is sacrificing your self for another. It’s a gift you have that can develop and grow not only inside you but as you give it away is easier to accept than hating someone and expressing a negative effort when coaching.

Players Need to Be Mentored

Most players don’t have a lot of people in their lives that tell and show them that they appreciated and care for them, and who care enough about them to tell them about their development in the game and talk to them about their lives. Your job is to help improve their match play and to help grow their life walk. Coaches need not fear teaching players truth. Just do it in a loving and honest way. Your honest answer is a sign of your friendship with your players, and it helps build their trust in you.

The game of soccer is for the tough and sturdy coach and player. By the very nature of the game, we need not be afraid of conflicts that arise. Face them head on. Don’t gloss them over and create a false sense of peace. Players can sense inter-team problems quickly, so such problems need to be solved as soon as possible. Open discourse is a must. There must be no secrets that let negativism get in on the act. Keep it out and off your team.

As you teach, your team is to be connected by the very nature of the game; they can be connecting with your leadership at the same time you teach the game. A real coach with a real team depends on his honesty and frankness, and through his coaching he creates a commitment to be about what he stands for and what he’s about on and off the field. If you can influence your players to be honest, you’ve guaranteed they will be further committed to the team.

You Need to Be Humble

Have you ever experienced a coach who is stubborn, single-minded, the picture of self-importance, a know-it-all guy, rude, or an “It’s my way or the highway” kind of person? I had a high school coach who had no clue about working with players to improve them on the field or positively touch some aspect of their hearts. He had no interpersonal relationship skills. He did such a bad job that I think he probably indirectly drove me to make a better effort than he did. He had no idea how to coach or treat players. It was his way or the highway, and he was so stubborn that he was not appreciated. Not many players wanted to commit to him, but we were stuck with him. We played because we loved sports—not because we liked or loved him. My love for sports superseded my dislike of him, and it was the same for many players on our team. He would not make it in today’s school systems. He would be found out pretty soon and would lose his position. I don’t think he could spell the word Love and kindness would be really difficult. Sometimes, when there is nobody for the hiring, somebody has to fill in. They’re out there still, aren’t they? They are not humble, but are full of pride and have no clue.

You Don’t Need Pride

Pride blocks you from moving ahead with the development of your players’ soccer growth. Pride blocks movement toward what real purpose you’re to have in this game. With pride on your plate, you will struggle to integrate your passion for the game into the lives of your players. Prideful coaches may think they’re getting the job done, but their self absorbed blindness is killing their players. How about making some better choices, my friend?

When Humility Fails and Your Pride Rules

Here are a few ideas I suggest you use when your pride starts to appear and your humility is not functioning correctly. Try them. They can work for you if you use them:

Learn to Be More Patient

Be willing to wait for your players to respond. Let them try to sort out and solve problems in training sessions so they develop skills that carry over to matches. Don’t expect instant perfection—Rome wasn’t built in a ninety-minute match. Have some fun, then wait and see whether they can respond to your coaching. Don’t try to manipulate them with pressure; it doesn’t work effectively. All you have to do is figure out a new way to teach them to play better. After all, you’re the coach, and you need to be able to challenge them with different approaches. If you’re patient with your players, chances are they’ll get it and will be able to put a bigger effort into what you want from them. They’ll even appreciate you giving them some time to get where you wanted them to go. So try waiting for a while—it’s a kinder approach and more loving. Remember you have a responsibility to teach and guide your players correctly.

Be Ready to Receive Correction and Follow It

You’re not the only guy on the block. For years, my wife *Jamaican) has been my greatest advisor and friend—whether or not I like or want it. If only I had listened to her earlier in my coaching career! They say behind every man is a good partner. In my case, as I say from time to time, behind my dead brain cells is an unbelievable wife. In your case, it could be an older person who could mentor you. It could be your players; listen to what they think about you. Find a friend who will hold you accountable for getting it together. Remember that you’re not always right. Life’s a learning experience, and the answers are out there if you don’t know them all. Find them to do your job better.

Point the Spotlight Away From Yourself

Give honor and the credit for your accomplishments to other people who were part of it and who deserve some of the applause. Most likely it will be your players, who have to physically and mentally put up with what you give them and who kill themselves for you.

Be Careful What You Say In Public

Keep your public words to a minimum and keep what you’d sometimes like to say to players inside you. Don’t kill with your words, but rather show love through them. Make sure your words please rather than destroy.

Humbly Think and Do Things for Others, Not For Your Agenda

In essence, humility is the act of thinkingless about you. You think, do, and say more aboutyour players and other staff than you do about yourself.When you start focusing mentally and verbally on othersand their successes, you’re honoring your players and team. Focusing less onthe ‘me concept’ and more on the ‘others concept’ means you’reon target for becoming the humble character your to be. Through the practice of being more humble,you will cultivate your players to play better and you willhave a better chance of working with them to developtheir growth. Humble men are men to be trustedand believed. If you want your players to believe and trustyou, be a humble character.

Respect Your Players Regardless of Who They Are and How They Play

The key to gaining the respect ofyour team is to understand where your players are comingfrom and where you believe you can take them. We allcarry baggage that affects our daily living. Players are nodifferent. They carry baggage just like you, sometimespretty heavy stuff. We’ve all seen many types of baggage:divorced parents, the death of a family member, boyfriendor girlfriend problems, drugs, stealing, cheating, alcohol,bad grades, and a plethora of other issues. Don’t emphasizehow far your players have to go to change their baggage,but rather how far they have come with the baggage theycarry. Remember that if we had to clean up our baggagebefore we became mature, we never could have beenable to coach. You coach players, not baggage. As you accept your players and helpbring their lives and games together, you will be able helpget them out of the holes they’re in. If you respect yourlayers as players and resist disrespecting them becausehey carry loads that burden them, they will respect you for working with them, and that will build confidence within them to move their very characters, lives, and game forward.

Develop a confidentiality policy among your staff, your players, and yourself. If your players can come to you privately, you’ll be the guy they trust. It often takes time for this to happen. You have to prove that your mouth is a locked safe, and nothing is allowed out. Your heart becomes a private vessel that retains the problems, hurts, secrets, and expectations of your players. Until they allow you to share, you are just a sponge soaking up your players’ confidence in you. You need commitment beyond the match. By committing to your team members and bringing them alongside you, you’ll be serving them with your passion.

You must make a consolidated effort to help them in their game and grow your team and every player is your responsibility and must be your heart’s desire.

“This integrity thing is something to get serious about and start making those choices that will not only win games but the hearts of your players for the rest of their lives. If you think this is not your responsibility you’re in the wrong game”
                Paul Banta

Comment

Love dat.... more vibes!
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X