Tourism income DOUBLES while economy FLATLINES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism income DOUBLES while economy FLATLINES

So GOJ's boast of 5% growth in 4 years shifts to 1% in 5 years it appears. And these are relatively "good times" globally.

Sumting Wong i.e. Low skill & Low value-adding industries leading the economic path...to futility...eternally.

Cyaan seh mi neva warn unnu seh dat nuh spell sense inna Century 21. It's imperative that JA upgrades its HUMAN CAPITAL radically by 2030 Fortunately there are a few showing how to execute that mission

Economy Flatlines at 0.3 % growth

BY KELLARAY MILES
    Business reporter

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8 Comments

The Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ) in its latest review of economic performance has said that the Jamaican economy grew by an estimated 0.3 per cent in the July to September quarter relative to the corresponding quarter of 2018.

Speaking yesterday the PIOJ's quarterly press briefing on the performance of the macroeconomy for the quarter, Director General Dr Wayne Henry said that growth was driven mainly by increases in the finance and insurance services, hotels and restaurants and the manufacturing industries.

“All industries within the Services Industry grew during the quarter. The industries registering the largest growth rates were finance and insurance services at 3.0 per cent; hotels and restaurants by 2.3 per cent and other services by 1.5 per cent,” he said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Bwoy you a try hard. imagine if there is no growth in tourism, what the economy would be.

Did they tell you the reason why growth fell is because mining stop a St.Elizabeth and other places, coffee prices drop big time and drought affect agriculture. Why not post the link to the article?

What you going to do when the amount of rooms in Jamaica double in short order???
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The economy is led by primarily low skill/low value-adding industries...tourism included. Such a structure in the 21st century is fatal to a country's development. JA must upgrade its greatest resource to have a chance at sustainable development...It's about upgrading THE PEOPLE. Seems you're ignorant of this reality

Sass despite being a former lecturer in economics it appears (from your numerous posts) that your knowledge of the subject is severely defective.. Debating with such a person is an exercise in futility.

You're excused. Run along please
      Last edited by Don1; November 22, 2019, 01:45 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

why don't you post the link to the whole article????
        trying to deceive someone again?

No worry 50,000 new job coming on stream in the next 2 years, none of it is government investment.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

STEM IT UP !.

https://youtu.be/0jHkgYampIM
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The article is linked dummy

Regarding your seemingly rosy forecast ...great IF it comes to pass and not turn out like the 5-in-4 hoax

But a bunch of low level jobs don't move the development needle in the least. I'm addressing forces which can TRANSFORM the economy in accord with 21st century reality. The dummy politicians focus on the short term to Jamaica's detriment just like you do.

You get excited about JA possibly producing more low level jobs... esp if the tourist rat-trap is involved JA has to start looking beyond the status quo and change... or remain backward into eternity.

Backwardness seems to be your and JA politicians' plan for the country. The JLPNP Complex focuses on the "next election" and has little interest in the long term planning & collaboration for the transformation JA desperately needs.

Our perspectives are completely different so any discussion with you is futile. I'm done here
            Last edited by Don1; November 22, 2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

When you have a country with 25 percent unemployment it takes more than STEM to stem that.

There is no doubt that most of these hotels will be build.

If you get even 20.000 of these youths working, at least a third will stay in the industry and at least a half will better themselves especially with international standard training that is available in Jamaica now. Kids are leaving high school with associate degrees in tourism.

More than half of those will end up in other industry and higher education doing undergraduate and graduate degrees. If we have less employed that also mean that wages will go up. There is no two way about this.

Fight for STEM yes but if you can't see the good in tourism leave it alone. Make no sense you beat your gum every day if you have no positive input. Most of the hotels that are been talked about contract is already signed so it is not pie in the sky deal. H10 have a new one coming on stream within weeks.

One thing I can agree with you on and that is the backwardness of our politicians that affects almost everything they touch. Where do see me talking about "next" election?

Just because I talk about the tourism, I think short term? gwaan dream, because I say tourism is positive, I don't support STEM or technology? Gwaan dream.

Comment

Yuteman I don't "fight tourism". I subject it to critical analysis - something foreign to you. You prefer ridiculous cheer-leading and excitable yapping about that industry. That's your right

I've repeatedly stated that tourism is a vital industry for JA which should be continued and expanded. It's a great fit for JA's low-skill economy and to continue that poor economic profile.

Critical thinking indicates that tourism is a primarily low-skill and low value-adding activity with extremely high FX leakage. With that profile Jamaica's dependence on tourism - as its leading industry - will NEVER result in an adequate 21st century economy for the country.

Higher value-adding sectors must emerge if JA is to have any shot at creating a competitive 21st century economy. The only way to accomplish that is through a MASSIVE upgrade in our human capital. This is basic stuff.

If dummies call that "fighting tourism" that's unnu prerogative. I just call it critical analysis.

However you and others can remain in DummyLand where unnu appear comfortable. Carry on

Comment

you say one thing and then everyday you come on her and bash tourism. Let us not go back and repeat the thing you said in the past. Everything you post about tourism is negative. Seems like you have to use tourism to make your point.

If you notice I am not the one who harp on negativity but encourage the good, even you and your STEM initiative. When mi see a man a try mi a go give a shoutout. If that is cheerleading then so be it.

Comment

I bun out dummy arguments and dummy thinking which retard Jamaica. You're a prime example of that suh yuh liable fi get damaged. Hush

Comment

Working...
                    X