Top 5 Ways JA can stop being a ShltHole Country in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Ways JA can stop being a ShltHole Country in 20 years

* Start to value poor people and those living in "depressed areas" i.e. Neuter the Class Shitstem

* Collaborate via a all-hands-on-deck National Social Contract aimed at healing & reducing the causes of criminality

* Develop a culture of love for Science & Technology.. and the ability to MAKE valuable 21st century products (on it)

* Transition from an economy based on low-skill/low value-add activities like tourism to one led by higher value-adding knowledge industries suitable for 21st century progress

* A sustained 20 year national campaign focused on Cleanliness - Timeliness - Civility - Collaboration... until it becomes part of our National DNA

Too difficult???

FYI nothing of great value is easy. Needed: Inspired leadership at the top beginning with the JLPNP Complex
    Last edited by Don1; January 17, 2018, 07:45 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Nurturing Entrepreneurship? TEAM Works is on it....

Biz incubators will be in SECONDARY SCHOOLS ....memba mi tole unnu dat

Not Enough Done To Encourage Jamaica's Entrepreneurial Spirit, Says Joseph Matalon

Wednesday | January 17, 2018 | 12:00 AM
    Paul Clarke/

While Jamaica is awash entrepreneurs of various incarnations, mostly called 'hustlers' - from the peanut vendor to the trinket makers, facilitators of business development have not done enough to nurture the country's entrepreneurial spirit, says businessman Joseph Matalon.

Entrepreneurship Not Nurtured

"I have always felt that Jamaicans are inherently entrepreneurial. But I don't think (that) over several decades we have done enough to nurture that entrepreneurial spirit in terms of the support that is provided to these entrepreneurs," cited Matalon, chairman of First AngelsJa.

Matalon was sharing his views as part of an Angel Investor Network panel at last week's Gleaner Editors' Forum.

What was critical to establishing angel investors locally, according to the highly successful businessman, is to create incubators in the accredited universities, among them the University of the West Indies, Mona; the University of Technology and Northern Caribbean University .

"It's a lot of work that needs to be done across a broad front; whether it's regulatory, whether it is education, or incubation.
    Last edited by Don1; January 17, 2018, 08:56 AM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

The problem is the dinosaurs standing in the way.

Comment

Don1 right on with your suggestions, only two days ago, my brethren in JA and I were discussing those points, and we will be using a part of my 3 acres in a depress area for a Community Resilience Center, the youngsters will have to posses a Library Card..looking forward to brain storm with you...

Comment

Wow, nuff respect for that move man.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
            The problem is the dinosaurs standing in the way.
            Yes Rudi...

Dinosaurs, Tribalists & Parasites...cyaan tap bun dem out.

A pox on the nation mi seh

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
              Don1 right on with your suggestions, only two days ago, my brethren in JA and I were discussing those points, and we will be using a part of my 3 acres in a depress area for a Community Resilience Center, the youngsters will have to posses a Library Card..looking forward to brain storm with you...
              Outstanding mi bredda...Link mi whenever

Esp interested if you can spare a say 300-400 sq. ft. room for a STEM Lab fi some area yutes

Comment

Noice. Tek a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post

* Transition from an economy based on low-skill/low value-add activities like tourism to one led by higher value-adding knowledge industries suitable for 21st century progress

:

This is not a practical solution to Jamaica's economic problems. It would take several generations and a strong commitment from consecutive governments for this to happen and for this to become a major foreign exchange earner. I believe that diversifying and developing our tourism product is the way to go. The government, through the Ministry of Tourism, should invest more in our culture which is grossly undervalued and under-appreciated by the people in power. Investing in our culture and building out Kingston from the waterfront inwards, will reap more immediate and bigger financial benefits than trying to transition the economy from tourism. Jamaica is uniquely located to act as a transitional hub between North and South America. By developing Kingston, adding more rooms (and I'm not just talking resort-style hotels), expanding Norman Manley Airport, i.e. building out into the sea, building another international airport at Vernam Field, will dramatically increase the number of visitors, both stop-overs and longer staying, to our shores. Increasing the size of our airports and adding another will increase revenues due increased airlines flying to our shores.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Why can't we do both,like a all hands on deck thing,why can't we link them stem -tourism! Tourism encompasses all facets of life.

A perfect e.g is the all inclusive that caters to people coob up in a building and enjoying the sand/ beach,not venturing an inch out of the prison,compared to an Airbnb where the city is yours at a 1/3 of the price for the sand / beach experience and more.
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Its AND not OR.

Comment

Very disappointing. Thought u were among the Enlightened set

It is amazing how people don't understand what is happening in the world. Or don't see Black folks as being a significant part of creating technology.
                        Perhaps too many still buy into the stereotype that our relationship with tech should be CONSUMPTION of the latest gadgets made by Whites & Asians

We are left to being SERVANTS into infinity

These perspectives are so old and tired that it's not funny. Disappointing to hear this from the educated class also fortunate enough to have exposure abroad

This is not a practical solution to Jamaica's economic problems. It would take several generations and a strong commitment from consecutive governments for this to happen and for this to become a major foreign exchange earner.

FYI this is not the 1970s or 1980s. Modern tech operates at light speed. A guy can have a great idea in Yr 1...and by Year 3 a multi-billion dollar valuation on his business. That only happens in the right environment, That environment STARTS with building a culture of love for CREATING TECHNOLOGY and SUPPORTING MAKERS...not yappers

Building that culture also does not take "generations" in the old, traditional sense. Your thinking on that is backward. Technology itself..its scaling capacity and relative inexpensive nature...compresses "generations" in the 21st century to 3-4 years max. We need just a few of those "generations" to make a dent

Since the governing class is also backward in its perspectives...what Jamaicans need to start generating that kind of culture is the excitement & engagement found in competitions among kids. At the secondary school level our competitive spirit is of the HIGHEST WORLD CLASS. One just has to observe the hysteria over the useless & antiquated Schools Challenge Quiz to understand the phenomenon

That competitive spirit has led to high achievements in sports. It needs vehicles and drivers to direct it into far more productive activities

When we tap into that spirit with tech competitions the result can/will be MAGICAL

But don't take my words for it as an unbeliever...Stand by and WATCH

I believe that diversifying and developing our tourism product is the way to go. The government, through the Ministry of Tourism, should invest more in our culture which is grossly undervalued and under-appreciated by the people in power. Investing in our culture and building out Kingston from the waterfront inwards, will reap more immediate and bigger financial benefits than trying to transition the economy from tourism. Jamaica is uniquely located to act as a transitional hub between North and South America. By developing Kingston, adding more rooms (and I'm not just talking resort-style hotels), expanding Norman Manley Airport, i.e. building out into the sea, building another international airport at Vernam Field, will dramatically increase the number of visitors, both stop-overs and longer staying, to our shores. Increasing the size of our airports and adding another will increase revenues due increased airlines flying to our shores.
                        Jamaica should do all this and more in tourism. The #1 boost for tourism would be diversifying away from the current Plantation Style tourism.. i.e. the all-inclusive model which bottles up fat tourists in warehouses/private beaches where the happy natives pamper them and wipe their collective fat arses. They mainly leave the New-Age Plantations on guided tours to some other all-inclusive attraction.

This model mainly benefits owners of hotels, attractions & trinket shops. The natives are left with low skill and low value-adding jobs as servants, taxi drivers & trinket sellers. Yes we have a large pool of candidates for that...and it's honest work. But I personally don't like that as our "leading occupations"

The outflow of the significant FX we earn in this model is also ENORMOUS..up to 70% of FX earned in Plantation Tourism goes out to buy goods & services to maintain the fat tourists in the style they like as well as PROFITS expatriated offshore.

So where do most tourism benefits go?? Abroad

All the above is why these tourist enclaves are literally surrounded by "depressed areas" One just has to look at MoBay...the "Tourism Capital" currently under a State of Emergency"...suffocating in criminality & squalor

Jamaica has been in the tourism biz as our "leading industry" for 60+ years. The development outcomes of the industry are clear... INADEQUATE
                        If you believe inadequate can be turned into TRANSFORMATIONAL by doing more of the same (only doing it better) I cannot agree.

Transformation is what JA requires. Merely offering more of the same as our "leading industry" will result in maintaining what we have now... A ShitHole country where Deportees outnumber the Migrants wishing to come home

But every man to his own order
                        Last edited by Don1; January 20, 2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                          This is not a practical solution to Jamaica's economic problems. It would take several generations and a strong commitment from consecutive governments for this to happen and for this to become a major foreign exchange earner. I believe that diversifying and developing our tourism product is the way to go. The government, through the Ministry of Tourism, should invest more in our culture which is grossly undervalued and under-appreciated by the people in power. Investing in our culture and building out Kingston from the waterfront inwards, will reap more immediate and bigger financial benefits than trying to transition the economy from tourism. Jamaica is uniquely located to act as a transitional hub between North and South America. By developing Kingston, adding more rooms (and I'm not just talking resort-style hotels), expanding Norman Manley Airport, i.e. building out into the sea, building another international airport at Vernam Field, will dramatically increase the number of visitors, both stop-overs and longer staying, to our shores. Increasing the size of our airports and adding another will increase revenues due increased airlines flying to our shores.
                          Bright prospect for Jamaica as a bunkering centre — Wheatley

While there had been little publicity recently about the plan to create a global logistical hub in Jamaica, the possiblity of developing a related industry is now being discussed.

Citing a number of significant advantages, Minister of Science, Energy and Technology Dr Andrew Wheatley is touting that a bright prospect is on the horizon for the development of Jamaica into a major bunker centre.

The projected rise in shipping traffic with the widening of the Panama Canal, the island's geographical advantage and Jamaica being a major cargo centre all provide the opportunity for the country to capitalise on a greater demand for bunkering.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...7?profile=1056
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

They are building turning Orabessa into a regional airport. That might do wonders if they having flights from South America and other caribbean islands. We also need to ramp up Agriculture and light manufacturing to provide for tourist and the diaspora. But we have manufacture stuff that is authentic to Jamaica.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Stem😏
                              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                              X