Thoughts: Jamaican Govt refusing Jamaicans to disembark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts: Jamaican Govt refusing Jamaicans to disembark

They requested to disembark a cruise ship after being stuck on it, requested the Govt to disembark and wasnt given a response, or were they , anyway it left them stuck on the ship.

To me this Government failed its ctizens, every western nation has welcomed their nationals home, we who look to the west for best practices have failed our own standard.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Originally posted by Sir X
    They requested to disembark a cruise ship after being stuck on it, requested the Govt to disembark and wasnt given a response, or were they , anyway it left them stuck on the ship.

To me this Government failed its ctizens, every western nation has welcomed their nationals home, we who look to the west for best practices have failed our own standard.
    Yep. Its a government by the people for the people. Smh.

Comment

…...gotta have access to the details though Reggae PhD.

I am sure there are issues that led up to their decision. In this case maybe erring on the side of caution....?
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Our Constitution, with its revisions in 2011, is much clearer and stronger on citizens’ right to return home than the Americans’. Amongst the rights in the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms is “the right to freedom of movement, that is to say, the right (i) of every citizen of Jamaica to enter Jamaica…” This right is expressly subject to another provision which states, “Nothing contained in or done under the authority of any law shall be held to be…in contravention of…this section…to the extent that the law authorizes the taking, in relation to persons…whose freedom of movement has been restricted by virtue of that law, of measures that are reasonably justifiable for the purpose of dealing with the situation that exists during a period of public emergency or public disaster.”
        Constitutional Court discussed the need for proportionality when protected rights are violated (as is presently the case). The proportionality test has 4 sub-components; (i) the measure restricting the right must have a legitimate goal, (ii) it must be a suitable means of fulfilling this goal, (iii) there must not be any less restrictive but equally effective alternative and (iv) the measure must not have a disproportionate impact on the right-holder.
        Strong, decisive and often uncomfortable measures are required in order to save lives. The government must consider the health and safety of immigration and customs officers as well as other staff working at our airports and seaports. Restricting the movement of people, whether inside the country or from entering the country is a fundamental part of every nation’s strategy to combat this pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
          How about having them disembark, test them and quarantine where needed?. How difficult is that?

Comment

what do you mean quarantine as needed? if we're letting anybody in they would have to be under a mandatory 21 day government quarantine...if we let in those 40 we have to make accommodations for every other jamaican citizen currently outside of jamaica...where would we potentially quarantine hundreds of thousands of people?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              what do you mean quarantine as needed? if we're letting anybody in they would have to be under a mandatory 21 day government quarantine...if we let in those 40 we have to make accommodations for every other jamaican citizen currently outside of jamaica...where would we potentially quarantine hundreds of thousands of people?
              Not really. You are making special provisions for those stranded at sea. Others who are sheltering in place on land have no immediate need for repartriation.

Comment

this sums up the situation perfectly:

Comment

Nobody knew what the ship captain was negotiating with the government. Maybe they wanted the whole ship off.

I remember when we were talking on this topic earlier how most forumites concluded that the Government of Jamaica WOULD bow to the shipping interest. We can't have it both ways.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X

Not really. You are making special provisions for those stranded at sea. Others who are sheltering in place on land have no immediate need for repartriation.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      Nobody knew what the ship captain was negotiating with the government. Maybe they wanted the whole ship off.

I remember when we were talking on this topic earlier how most forumites concluded that the Government of Jamaica WOULD bow to the shipping interest. We can't have it both ways.
                      The gov't did bow and le tourists off the ship one of which later died of the virus after leaving Jamaica.
                      In this case we are talking about citizens of Jamaica. Do you understand the difference???. This is in no way having it both ways by any stretch.

Comment

this is not true...FAKE NEWS...the travel ban was not in place at that time...our ports are NOW CLOSED...once we have adequate quarantine facilities in place we will start a phased re-entry policy...do you understand the consequences to the country if the pandemic really takes hold in Jamaica?

Comment

The Jamaicans were mainly workers. You think the shipping company would want the worker off and the guest stayed on? As I said you and I don't know what the shipping company was discussing with the government. However we can't have it both ways, some Jamaicans living in Jamaica don't want the government to take in more Jamaicans right now while others support it. However I would like to hear the Ministry of health address this.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That level of patriotism and altruism is unprecedented, and that is impressive given how fragile it is. Do you really think if that person's offspring was onboard it would not be perspective changing?
                            No one is forcing anyone to leave the death trap, the people whose desire it is to leave should be allowed to.

Comment

they did address it at yesterday's briefing...there will be targetted re-entry permitted once the quarantine facilities are in place...not wholesale re-entry...

Comment

Working...
                              X