HL!!!.......So today is Judgement Day for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL!!!.......So today is Judgement Day for

Greg Berhalter. This evening, we'll know if US Soccer made the right decision, hiring him as the new USMNT head coach.......I know he only had access to MLS players, but I think he can be judged based on how the team plays (movement, positioning, discipline, etc.).......For the sake of the USMNT & the program, I hope Berhalter proves me wrong, and shows that he's the right head coach for the job, because I still have my doubts.

USMNT vs Panama - Today, 8:00pm ET/ESPN2

*They play Costa Rica next Saturday (February 2), at 3:30pm ET.

Agree.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

can't judge based on one game. There is a lot of doubt but you have to give the man a few games.

Big name sometimes nuh work, we just have to wait and see.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Agree to what? make decision after his first game? I doubt he will have the European players for this game. He may have spent 7 days at most with the team of mostly out of season players.

I don't think he was the best but give the man a break and give him a little time.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Agree.

HL

Comment

Nice 3nil win.

HL

Comment

you see USAF?

The man did a pretty good job.

Comment

........till de nexxx game........

HL

Comment

They won!!! Which was good & a must, against a rebuilding Panama team. What was just as important for me, was how they played, and from what I saw they looked pretty good. Berhalter's rebuilding job seems to be on the right track, so far - was successful playing out of the back, passing & movement looked good, discipline & shape looked good, and defensively they looked good in the "high press" & clogging the passing lanes.......Wasn't impressed with the finishing. I know he likes Zardes (played for him at Columbus), but Zardes can't cut it internationally. I understand why coaches like him, but he constantly disappoints for the USMNT.
                  Next test is Saturday (Feb. 2), vs Costa Rica (a better opponent).......After that, we have Ecuador (March 22), and Chile (March 26).

Comment

A test by fire...if you ask me USAF !

Naturally, Stewart and his management team must make ALL players available at the coaches disposal.

Assasin wuda say...."yuh can't give dem man basket fi carry wata"........I love it. 😅

HL

Comment

"A test by fire" - They need to get Berhalter & his staff as many games as possible, to know the players in the pool, because Gold Cup starts in June and CONCACAF Nations League starts in September.

This is NOT an official FIFA friendly break/window, so teams don't have to release players, PLUS, the January/February friendlies were started by Klinsmann for only players in MLS.......Outside of the FIFA friendly dates, neither "Stewart and his management" nor anyone else at U.S. Soccer can force teams to release foreign-based players.
                      Berhalter had an advantage in the Panama game, because all of the Panama players (15 of their 18 players are U25) were from their local league.

Comment

The reason why Zardes continue to get chance and he maybe should is that he is one of the top scorer in the MLS so coaches hope he will find a sweet spot on the team but he id not doing that currently.

Comment

WHAT???.......His best year in LA was '14 (scored 16 goals), and that's because teams were focused on stopping Keane & Donovan. In 2015, defenses started watching him & he scored only 6 goals, yet Klinsmann was hyping him & claiming that he could do well in a very good Euro league. In 2016, he scored only 6 goals, again, and he was still getting call-ups to the USMNT. In 2017, his worst year, he scored only 2 goals, and he was being called to the USMNT. 2018 was his 1st year in Columbus, with Berhalter, and it was his best so far, as he scored 19 goals.......Zardes has one of the worst strike rates. If he could convert 20%-25% of his chances he'd consistently be one of the top scorers in MLS & for the USMNT. He has 41 appearances, 2015 - 2019, for USMNT & scored only 6 goals, mostly playing as a striker, sometimes as a winger: 3 were in friendlies, and 2 of the 3 in international competition, are against Cuba & St. Vincent & the Grenadines. He has 53 goals in 164 games, in MLS.

Coaches have never listed technical ability, tactical awareness, clinical finishing, positioning or situational understanding as any of Zardes assets. They speak about his size, speed & athleticism.......Teammates & coaches say he's a hard worker, good teammate and has a strong work ethic. Based on his interviews & articles about him, he seems like a very nice person, BUT he's not ready for international soccer. If I had a trade with the ReggaeBoyz, I would take Darren Mattocks over him, because he would be converting far more of those chances.
                          Last edited by USAF; January 29, 2019, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Well they keep on thinking he will develop into something good. I know he had a good amount of goals last year and was hyped.

It is common to see this kind of play in a squad who they think will make it but just can't cut it. Never make the level but coaches think he will.

Comment

Working...
                            X