No announcement yet.

Your All-Time Favorite Soca Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, Historian? Are you gushing about T&T, calypso and soca?!!??

Gi mi dancehall over soca every day of the year!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who is Mantona? that threw me, I think you mean (Machel) Montano?

Like you, I've never contemplated a top five.

But I'll kick mine off with
      1. Jean and Dinah - Sparrow
      2. Ethel - Blue Boy (now Super Blue)
      3. Pan in A minor - Kitchener (Historian you MUST listen to this again)
      4. Tiny Winey - Byron Lee
      5. Nani Wine - Crazy

All my picks were pre 1990 songs. I just realized that, could be my age...
      Anyway, this question is a difficult one... i bet if I decided to answer this question in a week's time, the five would have changed.
      My favourite of that list above is "Pan in A minor", simply because of how he incorporated the pan in the song... AND I AM NOT a lover of pan music. i don't go to Panorama nor follow those big bands at Carnival time.
      Peter R

Comment

Jangle, ah suh yuh ol'??? yu wuss dan me! "Merrymen"? wha mek yuh nevah trow een a Lord Laro...
        Peter R

Comment

Square One and Krosfyah are Bajan bands...but I think you know that. Square One broke up I believe after Allison Hinds left.

Ever heard of Exile One? from Dominica? I used to like listening to this band (not just because of the music alone) but also because I was fascinated by the "french creole" language, and I had a very good friend from Dominica...
          Peter R

Comment

..and he celebrated his 79th birthday yesterday (July 9th). Happy belated birthday to the birdy.
            Peter R

Comment

I can't believe I left David Rudder off my list...

The thing is when I think of him I don't think soca or calypso, simply because of his unique style.

6. High mas - David Rudder
              Peter R

Comment

Any chune by Baron!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why me? I just point out that that tune was before Soul Calypso(Soca), anyhow I will come up with something later, my three teams were KO in the WC, Mexico, USA & Costa Rica, I am not fully recovered as yet.

Comment

Love your escape clause (hell, look at the time, gotto go!), I bet if yu did sing it before some adults yuh mouth woulda tun....

Comment

Have you jump Carnival in T&T?

Comment

Good grief.

Comment

Ok.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzcBlhOEa3I

Comment

I don't know how long you living in Trini, but you should remember when Allan Magnus used to have Calypso Corner on his morning show. It would be at around 6:45 am. I used to love the Merrymen music. I was trying to rack my brain trying to remember the name of this song. This was my favourite Merrymen song, especially this line, "and when the men, kill the men, all that remain is women. It is then I gwine have me fun'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORsdFkP5RB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsvFAK5EXsw
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Seriously, Historian? Are you gushing about T&T, calypso and soca?!!??

Gi mi dancehall over soca every day of the year!
                              It's high time now yuh come outa di closet. You soca-wining Palancer you.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

'if yuh see de rooster running, sixty sexy chickens chasing him round me roun de corner, run mista rooster...'

my all time favorite calypso song...
                                1. mr. rooster
                                2. mr walker
                                3. jean and dinah
                                4. tiny winey
                                5. hot, hot

mr rooster will always be my fav... heard it every morning... signal fi leff di yard an start walk towards school...
                                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                                X