• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quality is better - Simoes

The quality is better - Simoes
    published: Tuesday | January 8, 2008

Audley Boyd, Assistant Editor - Sports

Simoes
    AFTER watching the second half of the Cash Plus Premier League match that Waterhouse won 1-0 over Sporting Central Academy at Drewsland Mini Stadium on Saturday, national technical director Rene Simoes says he felt heartened by the quality on show.
    "What I see is much better than what I saw when I came here in 1994," noted Simoes, who also served as technical director between that year and 2000, when Jamaica gained its historic World Cup qualification for the France 1998 Finals.
    The Brazilian, who had also witnessed the first half of the Premier League game between Harbour View and August Town at Harbour View Mini Stadium earlier, added: "I'm encouraged because the quality is better than the last time."
    Shortly after arriving in the island on Saturday, the technical director stated his intention to search for talent that he'll incorporate into the national teams with overseas-based ballers, particularly the senior team at this point which is gearing towards World Cup qualifiers in June.
    It wasn't the most fluent game but it was a very competitive affair between the contestants with a natural attacking flair.
    Weston Forrest scored the all-important goal for strong-finishing home team Waterhouse to continue its impressive, unbeaten run since replacing Peruvian coach Danilo Barriga with Wayne Fairclough, netting five victories and 17 points that helped them to claw back at the leaders.
    At one stage Portmore United led by as many as six points over Tivoli Gardens, with Waterhouse further back. With Sunday's 1-0 win over Arnett, Tivoli jumped into the lead on 30 points, Portmore lost 1-3 at Lynch Park to Portland newcomers St. Georges
    Waterhouse 1
    Weston Forrest 84th Sporting Central 0

BLACK LIVES MATTER

If I had said that I wonder what HL woulda call mi? And not just HL eedah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      If I had said that I wonder what HL woulda call mi? And not just HL eedah!
      Him ago watch 45 minutes of one game then claim the quality is better? Apparently Simoes remember how gullible some Jamaicans are.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Does he need to see more games in order to make that assessment? Based on his knowledge of the game, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus it may be a strategy to make us feel good.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

the quality much better for the local team. IF you follow Jamaican football over the years you definately would know that.

Every year for the past 3 or 4 years we compete in the Caribbean cup and win it most time. The teams are more organized and players paid more.

When Simoes came the first time we had all part time players who really who love the game but wasn't looking to make a living from the game.

Hopefully it will continue to rise, with clubs like HV and Portmore taking the lead in terms of structure and administration.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the quality for the team has improved. How can you explain our wining and competing in the caribbean cup for the past few years?

Teams like HV, Portmore, Tivoli have structures in place and have constant training so the quality is going to be better. Don't judge the quality of the league on what is done at the national level or we and England inna same boat.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              the quality for the team has improved. How can you explain our wining and competing in the caribbean cup for the past few years?

Teams like HV, Portmore, Tivoli have structures in place and have constant training so the quality is going to be better. Don't judge the quality of the league on what is done at the national level or we and England inna same boat.
              "How can you explain our wining and competing in the caribbean cup for the past few years?"

We won in 2005, the previous time before that was 1998. Quality better where? Unuh need fi get real.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I am talking the caribbean club championship.

The fact that the NPL teams are better than they were 5 years ago. That is what Rene is talking about.

Most teams maybe had one or two better player and mostly unfit players. The standard is better, much better.

Comment

Portmore, and HV competed against North American teams and none have been embarrassed as we usually are.

How do you explain that?

Comment

Portmore, and HV competed against North American teams and none have been embarrassed as we usually are.

How do you explain that?
                    I cannot locate the match reports .... I recall Portmore playing against a Mexican club in the Concacaf club championship ... I recommend if unuh can find it .. look at the match cards .. then talk to me.

Simoes on a PR thing ... him trying to get the masses excited fi full the stadium at the next home game. I've never believed that the cow jumped over the moon Sass ... and mi not gonna start now.

Comment

why would he be on a PR thing.

I personally thing the clubs have improved tremendously in structure and administratively and this is shown on the field as well even if there is no Fuller and Bibi in the league.

You need fi look and compare and stop just jump to conculsion. When in our history have our clubs competed so well against others?

The league may not be the best but it nuh mean it nuh improve. Has the MLS improved? How so?

Comment

i know you probbaly couldn't do it ... maybe not me either. but he is a seasoned coach who spent many years here watching the same teams in the same competition...i think all things considered he is qualified to make that statement and i would more than give him the benefit of the doubt.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

why would he be on a PR thing.

I personally thing the clubs have improved tremendously in structure and administratively and this is shown on the field as well even if there is no Fuller and Bibi in the league.

You need fi look and compare and stop just jump to conculsion. When in our history have our clubs competed so well against others?

The league may not be the best but it nuh mean it nuh improve. Has the MLS improved? How so?
                          Mi say .. review the match reports of PMUs game against the Mexican club .. then talk to me. Isn't it strange, you're accusing me of jumping to conclusions? Unuh mek me laff more time.

Comment

Thank you sah. The man is making a professional acessment based on his training and experience in the field. The majority of us here do not have what it take to make that call.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                              Thank you sah. The man is making a professional acessment based on his training and experience in the field. The majority of us here do not have what it take to make that call.
                              How you know he is making a "professional assessment"? People need to stop and think instead of grabbing onto every feel good word.

How many of us watch the PMU vs Boys Town game? Well ... my back broad .. make me down as the only one as seeing this as a PR thing by Simoes.

Quality better where?

Comment

Working...
                              X