No announcement yet.

Tourism, the reservoir of Low Skill Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes out of your depth and in the Dunce Corna...

C is an imperative procedural language. It was designed to be compiled using a relatively straightforward compiler to provide low-level access to memory and language constructs that map efficiently to machine instructions, all with minimal runtime support.

Despite its low-level capabilities, the language was designed to encourage cross-platform programming. A standards-compliant C program written with portability in mind can be compiled for a wide variety of computer platforms and operating systems with few changes to its source code.

The language is available on various platforms, from embedded microcontrollers to supercomputers.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yes... Tourism being a low hanging economic fruit requiring primarily very low level workers is attractive to some capital investment. Jamaica has the right environment for such low level pursuits

Until the workforce is upgraded...low level tourism will continue to lead Jamaica's economy...nowhere

So sad
      Last edited by Don1; October 16, 2019, 10:19 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

It would be a waste of my time to do so. Some folks are just irredeemable

Comment

The BOJ Govenor is a Collegeman with lots of sense...

...and not afraid to be blunt with the truth in mashing up dummy arguments like yours:

“Thank goodness for them because they are jobs, and the people getting them didn’t have any before,” said Richard Byles. “But they are the same jobs that we produced 20 years ago, whether it is in the hotel sector (or) the BPO business. It’s the same kind of low value-added.”

Finally smaddy wid some sense
          Last edited by Don1; October 16, 2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir X View Post
            That's all we have ,serving people in bed....lol,20 years Im say the skill set nuh change,a lie more like a 60.
            Yep...20 years with the low end BPO jobs and 60+ with the VERY LOW END tourism jobs

Of course those industries should continue and grow. They are VITAL to our low-end economy. But as long as such activities are Jamaica's LEADING INDUSTRIES... We're going nowhere fast.

Time to chart a course for a 21st century economy...starting with reforming & upgrading EDUCATION aligned with a progressive industrial policy which all sectors agree upon

At least BOJ Governor Richie Byles recognizes this fact. I guess that's a start
            Last edited by Don1; October 16, 2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

You don't have to tell me about C programming. As I said I did C and C++ in the 90s.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

When you have 2 million people and you have at least 25 percent without skill, they either have to get skills or stuck with basic hustling. . Education and training whether in technology, tourism or other industry can help. As you see high schools now offering associate degrees in tourism which will make a graduate a higher earner and give them a pathway to a brighter future. No doubt the same for proper in demand coding, along with database management and IT security will do the same. . In order to get Jamaica youngsters fully employed it will need a lot more and also the opportunity for second chance. The lower the unemployment the more likely it is people will be moving to higher paying jobs and upgrading their skills.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...r?profile=1228

Here is one way. Attract Knowledge outsourcing and provide training for people, not just for BPO but skills that are easily transferred to other areas, and also provide ownership opportunities. Just beating down the industries that are providing income is not enough. I can bet you a great degree of people who get their first job at the BPO are doing part time classes at other institutions and in a few year from now will be able to hold very high paying job in a career of their choice. I can bet some even learning coding too. There is no doubt education need revamping and not just technology but we also need to place more emphasis on tourism, languages, Agriculture, Entrepreneurship and science too to make more and keep more of our income.

Comment

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...egril-hotelier

A wha di.... them man yah nuh get the message?

Comment

LOL! You “did” C??? Was that when you were an economics lecturer?? 😂

To set you straight- Regardless of whatever nonsense you “did” with C I’m here to inform you that they’re many modern applications for that language

By your prior post this is a fact of which you appeared ignorant.

Comment

Apples vs Oranges yutemam.

When we speak of a 21st Century Re-orientation of the workforce it means a TRANSFORMATION

HEART is totally unable to transform JA’s workforce to compete in the 21st Century.

Your thinking is far behind reality unfortunately

Comment

HEART is only a part of the equation, nowhere near the whole but it has a very important role to play. You don't move from no skill to highly skilled as a country, you move within the ranks with training and guidance.

Comment

Many words but not much value here. Generalisms

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                              ...and not afraid to be blunt with the truth in mashing up dummy arguments like yours:

“Thank goodness for them because they are jobs, and the people getting them didn’t have any before,” said Richard Byles. “But they are the same jobs that we produced 20 years ago, whether it is in the hotel sector (or) the BPO business. It’s the same kind of low value-added.”

Finally smaddy wid some sense
                              So let’s see. I’ve been educating Sass for many years re the fact that tourism enables primarily low skill and low value adding work categories. Sass and jokers like Jangle would ALWAYS try to counter that truth with lots of nonsensical arguments while getting very emotional about that low level industry. Jangle even starts advocating for the entire parish of St Thomas to be turned into a Whorehouse Capital to service tourists. Likely the most idiotic idea I’ve heard on this forum

Now the BOJ Governor states EXACTLY the same truth... and not a peep outa dem

Is shame unnu shame suh til unnu struck dumb??? Well mi shame fi unnu tuh but hush

Comment

You have to take a L on this one, Assasin. Don1 is correct.......C programming language is still being used and is a very important & necessary. The current standard, C18, was published last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X