No announcement yet.

Walk God Butch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked for Butch in the mid 80s. The company hero-worshipped him, to the detriment of the company sometimes.

Many salesmen made a lot of money working for ATL to the point where they could move on for themselves. But I always wondered what happened to those waiters, bartenders, cooks at the hotels. I don't believe many were able to break themselves free from poverty while working there.

Some of his directors were some of Jamaica's wrenkest high-brown Jamaicans.

So, my feelings on the life of Butch are mixed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Go back and check. A lot of people who work for Butch in the hotels are able to get good training and improve themselves. A lot of the people who work with him get opportunities to step up. A good amount can tell you they started as chef but are now their own boss or in management. Because of the growth of Sandals a lot of them get opportunities to go to other islands in management capacity. Butch provide more training to his staff than any other hotelier in Jamaica. A good amount get to go University without paying a cent and other training as well.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        I worked for Butch in the mid 80s. The company hero-worshipped him, to the detriment of the company sometimes.

Many salesmen made a lot of money working for ATL to the point where they could move on for themselves. But I always wondered what happened to those waiters, bartenders, cooks at the hotels. I don't believe many were able to break themselves free from poverty while working there.

Some of his directors were some of Jamaica's wrenkest high-brown Jamaicans.

So, my feelings on the life of Butch are mixed.
        fair enough assessment...by the way do you know how much a sandals butler is compensated each month? you'd be surprised...what about the rest of the ecosystem? farmers...taxi operators...craft vendors...tour operators...etc.? you think the warehouse workers at Carimed can bruck out of poverty? do you have similar feelings towards glen christian?

Comment

case and point

http://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbea...-opportunities
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Please Mr Stewart was not the panacea for Jamaicas problems, he was born into the shitstem, did his best to fix it or as much as he could , with all his faults. Give thanks for the effort and to the effort.

Nothing for your tender egos to get protective about.

Thank yuh Mr. Stewart.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Yes, I went on training courses when I worked for ATL as well. Turned out they were a waste of time but I visited Panama twice on the company's dime.

So, the courses allowed these persons to go on and better themselves. But why can't they advance at Sandals?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe in the early years they didn't but a many has advanced as Sandals became a larger company. But you have to realize that sometimes you have to move to get ahead. I knew a few people who have been able move up within Sandals.

Nowadays in Jamaican tourism workers move pretty often to get ahead as new hotels open but many of Sandals workers stay so there must be a reason.

Comment

Also remember sometimes a bell hop, waiters and housekeeper carry home more money that their managers, and chefs although some of the hotels say "no tips". I remember working with a guy and said he is not interested in working in any other department than been a bellhop as he doesn't have to touch his pay, it goes straight to saving.

Comment

Many workers in Jamaica stay where they are because jobs are so few! That included me! Not too many companies felt they needed my skills so, for the few that did, I had to hang on and get paid whatever they wanted to pay me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes many do but in the last few years before last year, the worker mobility between hotels was very high as new hotels open up and people got more opportunities.

You may also not realize but for most waiters, Bellman and Housekeeper may make their money in tips which can be more than their managers sometimes. Many rather hold on to their jobs as a form of security and have a taxi running, a farm, shop, Air B&B or small business on the side. It is not a one size fit all scenario for all. Some work in Jamaica in the winter and come US or Canada for summer where they make another income.

Comment

But Sass, what kinda living is that?

The way I see it, hotel workers should be as attractively paid as workers in the bauxite industry. When I lived in Mandeville, to have a job at Alcan meant making very good money, living in a very good neighbourhood, with your kids going to very good schools. Can we say that about hotel employees generally, our largest foreign exchange earner (not counting remittances)?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo a lot of the workers are better paid than teachers, and bank tellers etc. One of the big problem you have is housing in the tourism area but most of the hotel workers are making more than you think. It could be better yes but that goes for most of Jamaica. Judging from my little time in the industry, most get a wage but in winter season most get Salary plus gratuity which can be pretty decent depend on occupancy.

Comment

Ok sah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you're ignoring the fact that the bauxite industry is highly concentrated...you have a handful of corporations that hold all the market share...hence the ability to set prices & realise outsized profits...every tom dick & harry has a hotel chain...sandals is competing against mexican...spanish...american...italian hotel chains...big difference

Comment

Working...
                              X