Tourism, the reservoir of Low Skill Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality is slowly dawning on a few people

Many of the jobs currently being created in the Jamaican economy are comparable to the same low value-added ones produced two decades ago, according to the governor of the Bank of Jamaica, the BOJ.

Thank goodness for them because they are jobs, and the people getting them didn’t have any before,” said Richard Byles. “But they are the same jobs that we produced 20 years ago, whether it is in the hotel sector (or) the BPO business. It’s the same kind of low value-added.”
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Imagine if you can code and then have 3 foriegn languages inna your bag. LOL!!

Brethren while I support coding wholeheartedly and have done that, it is not for everyone and also there are many people walking around with coding languages that are not desired in today's world. If you are talking future C and c+ are just the tip of the iceberg.

It is not just as simple as you make it out. Again I support coding and technology as a whole but there are other avenues that we can make money in and should be persuaded.
      Last edited by Assasin; October 16, 2019, 10:04 AM.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you can laugh all you want, it is the reality.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tourism and hospitality, number 1 choice for investment in Jamaica

KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Jamaica Chamber of Commerce (JCC)-commissioned business and consumer confidence indices, for the third quarter of the year, indicate that the tourism and hospitality industry show the highest interest for businesses to invest as it generates more significant returns.

“In the last 3 ½ years, tourism arrivals has grown by 33 per cent and revenue has grown by nearly 90 per cent. This growth has caused a huge impact on GDP (Gross Domestic Product), in terms of the contribution that the tourism industry is making. In these three years, we have moved from 7.2 per cent to 9 per cent in 2017,” Bartlett added.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...a?profile=1228
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

450 more trainees graduate from JCTI today

ANOTHER 450 hospitality workers, who have been trained and certified by the Jamaica Centre for Tourism Innovation (JCTI), will graduate from the institution today.

The ceremony is slated for Montego Bay Convention Centre in St James, and will bring to 640 the total number of graduates since the facility was established in 2017, Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has said.

Bartlett emphasised that a highly trained hospitality labour force will bolster competitiveness and employment opportunities for workers, particularly at the supervisory and management levels.

“This [training] is important for workers, to give you quality middle staff. We went to the high schools for the first time in our history, and, last year, we started in the fifth and sixth forms at 33 schools across Jamaica. For the first time, [come] May 2020, we will have 640 Jamaican high school students with associate degrees, ready for entry level into the tourism industry,” he said.

Bartlett reiterated that the ministry, in partnership with The University of the West Indies, will establish its first-ever Graduate School of Tourism in Montego Bay by 2020.

Bartlett said the push to undertake the highest level of training in tourism is designed to “enable us to respond and to be nimble in terms of the digital transformation that is taking place in the industry today”.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...6?profile=1373
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

no say nothing. Gwaan Barlett, no stop at all.

Comment

That's all we have ,serving people in bed....lol,20 years Im say the skill set nuh change,a lie more like a 60.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

True,the USA reality,when jamaican citizens get a bly to apply for those jobs to compete with the rest of the U.S labor market let me know .
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

????????

US have more tourism and service sector job than most places in the world.

Do your research. It doesn't get old, it is about the target, the market also ownership.

Comment

Boss it’s best you stick with a subject that you’re more familiar with....Weed. You obviously have no idea of just how big and lucrative the convention tourism market is. I’ve always said that Jamaicans like you and Don One have a very narrow view about tourists and tourism. You hear the word tourism and you automatically think about fat, white Americans lying on the beach being served by locals. As I’ve said before, STEM and tourism are not mutually exclusive. The convention tourism market and STEM go hand in hand.

Comment

you are clueless. You have 2.5 million Jamaicans and them say same in the diaspora. You have 4 million visitors to Jamaica. Look at them as 4 million additional customers. If every tourist drink a red stripe it means more workers at what was D&G. If all 4 million buy Jerk Chicken Scottie and some vendor going to benefit. I guess you see the basic potential and we not even talking about high end tourist yet. Wake up X. You a talk bout Kingston the Mecca and a beat down tourism??? You all over the place like a certain President.

Comment

A lot of words signifying nothing. You're hopelessly out of your depth here Sass.

My regrets at the bad news

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Jangle - Please join Sass in the dunce corner or go relax in one your world-famous St Thomas Whorehouses. You're out of your depth on development matters

Thanks in advance

Comment

Since you are the forum’s most educated and intellectual poster, and the expert on all matters, including economical development, please spare the time and expand on your argument about transforming Jamaica’s economy to a STEM driven economy. Bear in mind that tourism is jamaica’s biggest foreign exchange earner, contributing 30% of the country’s GDP and employs up to 25% of the labor force.

Comment

Out a depth. We done with C programming language from the 90s. Come again.

You have to come better, you soon start talk bout COBOL and Pearl. LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X