AIRBNB Debate heats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIRBNB Debate heats up

Earlier this week it was reported that Omar Robinson, president of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA), expressed that Airbnb operators should be asked to pay hotel accommodation tax. The statement from the JHTA president has sparked intense debate among not just tourism professionals but the general public and some of these discussions spilled over into the media and social media this week.

“The Airbnb platform brought back community tourism from the dead and put cash back in local communities and the micro-entrepreneurs there,” Riley posted to both her Facebook and Twitter accounts. “The trickle-down foolishness that previously prevailed in the industry is dead and will never return.”

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busi...e=1606&tb_cb=1
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

yes I think they should pay some tax. The best way to do it is to make Air B&B collect it and pay the government. Put this in the TEF for other Tourism related products.

It is a good debate to have as Air B&B comes of age.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

They should leave it alone, the little tax money is nothing compared to the money owners collect and spend in the economy and 2nd what tourist spend in the economy.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

It is only fair if other lodging such as hotels are paying taxes and Air B&b need other resources for them to pay some taxes. You can't kill them but it provide more money for resources. they will only pay if they are occupied.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I side with X on this one. Leave it alone at least for now. The whole purpose of travelers using AirBnB is because it’s cheaper and sometimes more convenient than staying at a resort. Plus as X said, staying at an AirBnB allows the traveler to spend more money in the local economy. I’m going to Jamaica next week and splitting my stay between Kingston and Mobay. In Kingston I’ll be staying at an AirBnB which forces me to rent a car and eat at local restaurants I hope I can find a KFC nearby.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yes but 1 dollar per night tax that you pain on your reservation will not hurt you, but it can go a far way providing the infrastructure and more value if used correctly. Not asking to kill the Air B&B users but standards have to be kept.

This would be paid while purchasing on Air b&b so you would hardly know the difference. Remember you have small hoteliers such as 15 rooms etc who are not shield from taxes and how fair is it to them?

Comment

The thing is AirBnB is a supplement to the existing room count of the established hotels and it hasn’t reached the stage to challenge and compete with them to start hurting their pockets. Also the AirBnB platform already regulates its participants. I just think it’s too early to start taxing them. And as I’ve stated many times here that Kingston needs to increase it’s room count. Not all travelers want to stay at AirBnB’s.

Comment

I understand all of the but I understand that it is still at a delicate stage but also need to provide a level playing field to the small hotels. As I said 1 dollar a night will not hurt. Air B&B have some standard but as a country we also have to provide some standards to make sure we on top of it, can't depend on Air B&B to do that for us. If no tax is added it is ok with me but personally I don't think 1 dollar a night will hurt but certainly not 5 dollars as that is too high.

Comment

An innovative way is to say if you make X amount then then you pay so the smaller one and the startup doesn't pay.

Comment

Taxes are normally imposed as a sales tax , e.g

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in the State of New Jersey will pay the following tax as part of their reservation:

State Sales Tax: 6.625% of the listing price including any cleaning fees, for reservations 89 nights or shorter. For detailed information, please visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website.
                    State Occupancy Fee: 5% (1% in Atlantic City, Newark, and Jersey City, 3.15% in the Wildwoods) of the listing price including any cleaning fees, for reservations 89 nights or shorter. For detailed information, please visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website.
                    Meadowlands Regional Assessment: 3% of the listing price including any cleaning fees, for reservations 89 nights or shorter in Bergen County and Hudson County. For detailed information, please visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website.

NY

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...nb-in-new-york

Now is not the time to tax, give it 5 more years, and when we do pass a law that the revenue for the taxes, be put in a education fund or budget.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

don't know why this is even being debated...the tax will be levied on airbnb itself...not the individual members who provide lodging...the company has to pay a levy to the GOJ to do business in Jamaica...

Comment

You dont know sigh.

Comment

why are you debating a conspiracy theory that has been debunked? you like wasting time or something? you are a time waster?

Comment

Me debating a conspiracy ,the question was asked ,should Air Bnb in JA be taxed,not how its being taxed....lol. Me answering in the negative is a conspiracy,or you just finding out AIRBNB collects the taxes is the conspiracy.....lol

Man can suh fool,nuh feel nuh way ,it look like yuh ave company wid Sass.

Comment

you obviously didn't read the article...it speaks specifically to taxing of individual AIRBNB members in Jamaica who provide lodging...that is not on the table & has never been on the table...the official policy calls for AIRBNB itself as a company to pay a levy to operate in Jamaica...that would have zero financial impact on AIRBNB members who provide lodging...

Comment

Working...
                              X