Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape row as Jah Cures comes to UK

Rape row as 'new Marley' comes to UK

Jah Cure served eight years in jail. Now the reggae singer's sell-out shows face protests

Jamie Doward, home affairs editor
    Sunday October 7, 2007
    The Observer

A bitter row has broken out over the imminent British tour of one of the world's most acclaimed reggae stars, recently released from prison after serving eight years for raping a woman at gunpoint.Jah Cure, the 29-year-old Jamaican Rastafarian who has been compared to Bob Marley, is drawing international attention for his heartfelt lyrics and melodies. His British tour this month is almost sold out and he is the subject of huge media attention in the US.

But women's rights groups have expressed anger at the way that Cure - real name Siccature Alcock - has reassumed his celebrity status just months after being released.

The Voice, the newspaper for Britain's black community, received complaints after it carried adverts for the tour. Campaigner Paulette Coombs has urged people to protest outside Cure's tour venues, while others have demanded he donates some of the millions of pounds he is expected to make from his music to rape victims' charities. 'He is able to move on with his life,' Coombs told the newspaper. 'Who cares about the young woman he raped?'

The victim, Suzanne Ferguson, who waived her anonymity to speak out after she heard Cure was due for release, told the Jamaican press last year: 'Every time there is a lot of publicity about Jah Cure, I have even more flashbacks.

'Sometimes I am so afraid to leave my house. It seems to me that entertainers are more valued than everybody else in Jamaica and, as a woman, I feel seriously undervalued.' She has claimed she was offered money by Cure's supporters to retract her claims.

But other women's groups are reluctant to join the protest. 'Jah Cure was not convicted by a jury and there were serious doubts about his conviction,' said Cristel Amiss, coordinator of the Black Women's Rape Action Project, based in north London. 'He has served eight years in prison. Those who call for a boycott of his tour are losing sight of the real issue, which is that only about 5.6 per cent of reported rapes result in a conviction. They are helping to perpetuate the myth of the rapist as a dark stranger.'

In interviews, Cure, who was released in the summer, says he wants to use his music as a form of rehabilitation. His new album True Reflections... A New Beginning was recorded behind bars.
    'He's become such a conscious person, and all his lyrics are about peace and love,' a spokeswoman for his promoter told the Voice. 'Regardless of the hard times he's been through, he's seen it as God's will and he's stronger for the experience.'

Cure has already been the target of hate campaigns. Two years ago, a Jamaican radio station stopped playing his music after it received death threats. After his conviction, however, there was a groundswell of support for Cure, so called because he smokes large amounts of marijuana, which fellow reggae artists say makes him look well preserved or 'cured'.
    Internet sites sprang up protesting his innocence and bearing the slogan 'Free Jah Cure'. A large number of reggae artists spoke out in his defence, with many suggesting that he was targeted by police for his Rastafarian beliefs.

Cure has declined to talk about the rape since his release, but his website insists that he wants his fans to know the two words most important to him are 'not guilty'. 'People can do their research, they know my side,' he told one interviewer.

Cure's supporters point out that no DNA evidence was obtained linking him to the crime. There are also concerns about the nature of his arrest: he was picked out by the victim on the street and was held without charge for a week.

At his trial. Ferguson told how she had memorised Cure's car licence plate, which enabled police to track him down. 'I was able to identify him because his voice was distinct. Anywhere I hear that voice, I will always remember it.'

Cure's tour promoter, Castro Brown, is no stranger to controversy. He has also promoted reggae singer Buju Banton, who has been attacked by gay rights groups. Banton's 1992 song, 'Boom Boom Bye', called for the murder of ******************** Boys - Jamaican slang for gay men.
    A rocky road
    1978 Siccature Alcock (Jah Cure) born in Jamaica on 11 October.
    1997 Recorded 'King of the Jungle'.
    1999 Convicted of rape and sentenced to 19 years, later reduced to 15 on appeal.
    2007 Released from jail on 28 July.
    Between 1999 and 2007, he recorded and released three bestselling albums while in jail: a fourth album, True Reflections ... A New Beginning, is out now.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Miilons of pounds? Please these people love di hyperbole ehh. Why exactly should he donate any money to anyone? He paid his debt to society when he served out his time him nuh owe nobody nuttin. Are they saying that people that serve time in prison should not be allowed to work when they are released?

Comment

yo zi mi, addi samething mi did a talk to assassin and siccko bout, how dem expect ppl fi acclimatise upon re-entry into society when dem cyaa get no jobs...
      Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
      Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Rape row as 'new Marley' comes to UK

Jah Cure served eight years in jail. Now the reggae singer's sell-out shows face protests

Jamie Doward, home affairs editor
        Sunday October 7, 2007
        The Observer

A rocky road
        1978 Siccature Alcock (Jah Cure) born in Jamaica on 11 October.

1997 Recorded 'King of the Jungle'.

1999 Convicted of rape and sentenced to 19 years, later reduced to 15 on appeal.

2007 Released from jail on 28 July.

Between 1999 and 2007, he recorded and released three bestselling albums while in jail: a fourth album, True Reflections ... A New Beginning, is out now.
        Simple question: How was he able to record three albums while incarcerated? ...how was that arranged? Special dispensation? Who and what was involved in getting Jah Cure this treatment?

Just asking!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Suppose your sister turned up at your house one day with Jah Cure on their way to a date how would you react? Just asking a question boss.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Good question Karl. Seems as if they had a recording studio in prison.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I agree wid yuh sar. As the man has served time and paid for his crime. They should let him be. . .
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                Suppose your sister turned up at your house one day with Jah Cure on their way to a date how would you react? Just asking a question boss.
                That has nothing to do with the fact that after serving his sentence he should be allowed to earn a living. Peiople jus vex cause his line of work is seen as being glamorous. If he was a ditch digger nobody wouldn't business.

Comment

They did and as a part of the system prisoners can work for money. It appears however that Cure had some more privilidges that others did not and at one stage he was moved form one facility to the next.

I know people who were able to call him in jail all the time.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

With Jamaica's justice system and history of persecution against Rastas, we may never really find out if Jah Cure is guilty.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My thing is the man has served his time and he is no longer a suspect in any other crime.

Jah Cure getting big while in jail is the fault of our prison system as they could have stopped it at any stage. Part of his punishment should have been not to carry out any commercial activity while in jail.

Them can't blame him fi dat.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        With Jamaica's justice system and history of persecution against Rastas, we may never really find out if Jah Cure is guilty.

sigh
                        Why yuh say that? Didn't the victim note his licenses plate number? If him cannot point out that the car was stolen or he had loan it to someone, then ...
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But if the License plate say one thing and the DNA say another what would you believe?

I however believe the girl was raped but their is a lot not to feel comfortable about the way how the justice system is set up in Ja.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

he has served his time....mek di man get on wid him life nuh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

true...but he was convicted and served his time. perhaps a rarity in jamaica there days.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X