• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-look local gov't system in two years

New-look local gov't system in two years
    published: Wednesday | October 3, 2007

Montague
    The Ministry of Local Government is to evolve into a regulatory body within two years under the new Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) administration's plans for local government reform.

Speaking in an interview with The Gleaner in London, new junior with responsibility for local government, Robert Montague, said: "It is our view that the ministry as it is would be downgraded to be a monitoring agency because we are trying to strengthen the local authorities so that they can improve service delivery".

Mr. Montague appears to be on a mission to see through meaningful local government reform. He argues that over the last three decades there has been a seemingly perpetual debate about restructuring the local government system with almost a dozen reports submitted but no action taken.

Now, the Bruce Golding-led JLP administration wants to implement. Mr. Montague said there was broad agreement on 95 per cent of the recommendations and that was where he would focus his energies.

Discussion on the remaining issues (the direct election of mayors perhaps being the main one) over which there is disagreement will continue. If there is no consensus the Government will make a political decision. That process, according to Mr. Montague, is expected to take about 24 months at the end of which the Ministry of Local Government will cease to exist as we know it and a new monitoring agency will emerge to take its place.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

can't too argue with this one but
    I would rather see it happening. Look at Mobay a huge foreign exchange generator. The roads in Ironshore and Coral gardens are disgusting. Mobay should have beautiful roads with properly maintained street lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
      can't too argue with this one but
      I would rather see it happening. Look at Mobay a huge foreign exchange generator. The roads in Ironshore and Coral gardens are disgusting. Mobay should have beautiful roads with properly maintained street lights.
      See, the change of gov't is good. Finally yuh realize that the road in a bad state.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I wouldn't pick up my pom-poms just yet. Let's see it happen first. Remember, no one had bigger ideas than Manley.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You see these as big ideas ???

Hmmm...

Comment

Lazie, you have to expect drastic cuts in fundings for programmes when the budget is read, how else will the Govt be able to finance its ambitious altruistic ventures.
            This talk about working closer with the avaricious private sector is nonsense, Govt role is to regulate the damn thing, it is no surprise the PM spoke directly to Carib Cement because of its importance to the economy of the country as a whole. Fact is Govt should take back a few of those companies, starting with the JPS.

Blessed

Comment

there are ways to work close with them while regulating them. One such wayis to set up tink thanks and also to make the companies take part in community affairs and be more responsible.

You can have a zone in the ghetto or low income areas and give them a break if they invest there.

I think what Bruce is doing is putting pressure on some of them in the name of doing better by pointing out their weakness and demand more. That is what I think he has done so far.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I think he is identifying the ones that are of the utmost importance to Ja, which is intriguing, why, why, why....
                Bruce commenting directly on the affairs of Carib Cement is highly unusual, and probably contradicts the fundamentals(principles) of capitalism.
                I believe it is a precursor of sorts, we will see.

Blessed

Blessed

Comment

Did I say that? Can you read? Can you comprehend?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Did I say that? Can you read? Can you comprehend?
                    Yes I can comprehend.

You used the adjective 'Bigger'...

If you do not see the implication, maybe you need a refresher course in English Language.

Comment

Well if Omarb didn't nyam off the $15b without telling anyone, we would have had enuff to fund all and sundry.

As far as I am concerned, him caaan have nuh talk for the next 18 months after that nasty surprise.

Comment

who? yuh mussi nuh know omar!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you have to understand that Carib cement is a monopoly without any competition as they have been given preferred treatment so that is why Golding have a right to talk bout it. There is no free market there.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                          X