PM recommends 8 year old for National Honours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8-y-o saves friend from drowning

At eight years old, Don-Christopher Barnes may not have changed all his baby teeth as yet, but he has already saved a life. Revered as a 'hero' by the Stella Maris School community and his entire family for his courageous deed of rescuing his friend from a swimming pool, the very poised and talkative student sat down with The Gleaner on Monday to retell his story.

It was the day after the category four Hurricane Dean passed south of the island. Don-Christopher and his best friend Akeem Williams, also eight years old, were busy cleaning leaves from the balcony of his house in Stony Hill, St. Andrew.

"I saw that the pool also needed cleaning, so I was going to try to take the leaves from the pool," he said. The very astute eight-year-old told The Gleaner that he went inside his house "just for a second".

At the bottom of the pool

"But then I heard Akeem's brother screaming his name and I came out and saw that he was lying face down at the bottom of the pool," said Don-Christopher.

"I was thinking what to do at first, but then I remembered his brother can't swim in the deep end either, so it was up to me."

At just three feet, eight inches, Don-Christopher said he did not panic as he dived into the five-foot deep pool and pulled his friend to safety.

"I dived in and brought him to the shallow end of the pool and then his father jumped in and took him out of the pool and gave him CPR," he said.

When asked if he wasn't just a little terrified at jumping in the deep end of a pool to save someone's life, he said: "What else should I do? He needed my help, so I dived in, saved his life and now he's OK."

Don-Christopher said he did think about calling an adult for help before he decided to rescue his friend, but didn't want to waste time. "If I had stopped to ask an adult, they would probably panic and it would take too long, so I thought if I did it myself, it would be quicker and easier," he explained.

He explained that his friend was actually unconscious and had turned blue - a sign that his body had become deprived of oxygen - when he was taken from the pool.

Now back in school

Young Akeem was later taken to the University Hospital of the West Indies where he was admitted for a week. "He is now back in school and doing quite well," said his father, Colin Williams. Mr. Williams was, however, quick to point out that it is always necessary for pool owners with small children to take extra precaution. "Safety in and around the pool is critical," he said. "There must be a capable and responsible adult present at all times when there are small children involved."

Don-Christopher, who has been swimming since he was just six months old, said he would like to become a lifeguard when he gets older. "I originally wanted to be a comedian, but now I think I want to save people, so I want to be a lifeguard and a comedian," he said. "I might entertain the kids in the pool while I am saving their lives," he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yep, Brickie, some uptown kids!

Uptown Time now!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

him start off at good school...... btw dis quote yah wicked:

If I had stopped to ask an adult, they would probably panic and it would take too long, so I thought if I did it myself, it would be quicker and easier,"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I know. Classic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the school or the quote?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lazie yuh use to skul
              writing class an go ketch cray fish when yuh did deh ah York Castle? Man if yuh nuh undastan mi writing style ask mi an stop mek a fool of yuhself.

Comment

Chivalry never came with us that
                day. Cho mo yuh spoil mi parade.

Comment

that much is apparent but i had hoped i was wrong and that at that very moment you had seen the bat signal which required you to be elsewhere as your crime fighting alter ego....alas ...no such luck....chivalry just abandoned you that day!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    Lazie yuh use to skul
                    writing class an go ketch cray fish when yuh did deh ah York Castle? Man if yuh nuh undastan mi writing style ask mi an stop mek a fool of yuhself.
                    What is there to understand about your sarcastic comment? The only people fooling themselves here is you and those quick to agree with you.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Gamma!!!!

Comment

Massive I rest my case.

Comment

My late brother actually jumped into a pool at a hotel he was working to save some Caucasian child once and got his picture in the newspaper getting an award from the General Manager...think we can send his name to Bruce and get a posthumous award Lazie?
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                          X