Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for more private sector/gov't collaboration

Call for more private sector/gov't collaboration
    By Julian Richardson Observer staff reporter richardsonj@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Private sector leaders, frustrated by what they describe as years of bureaucratic stranglehold affecting businesses, have made a call for more private sector and government collaboration.
    The executives' request comes against the background of one of their own, Don Wehby, last month being appointed a minister in the new Government.
    At a luncheon hosted by Observer chairman Gordon 'Butch' Stewart at the company's Beechwood Avenue headquarters yesterday, the corporate players lauded the Government's initiative to invite Wehby to serve.
    Observer chairman, Gordon 'Butch' Stewart (centre), makes a point while financial analyst, Dennis Chung (left), and Island Grill CEO, Thalia Lyn, look on. The occasion was a luncheon hosted by Stewart at the Observer Beechwood Avenue headquarters yesterday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    "The entire private sector commends GraceKennedy and Mr (Douglas) Orane for granting Don Wehby the time to serve in the Ministry of Finance," said MegaMart CEO Gassan Azan to loud applause. "It is noteworthy that Grace has always shown themselves to be one of those companies to always have the national interest at heart."
    Wehby resigned his senior executive position at GraceKennedy to serve as a minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Finance.
    The decision means that he will take a salary cut of more than a third.
    GraceKennedy chairman, Douglas Orane, said it was Wehby's "personal decision" to join the Government and "serve his country".
    "It is really a personal choice and I hope it will encourage other people in the country to step up," said Orane.
    Businessman Pat Rousseau pointed to the positives that can arise through private sector/government collaboration. He served Prime Minister Michael Manley as part of his negotiating team that brought Jamaica millions of dollars through the bauxite levy in the 1970s.
    "One of the ways we can help is by the private sector lending people to the government ministries," said Rousseau. "If we provide people with experience like that, you will begin to change the system and realise that what you learn in there will be a huge benefit to you thereafter."
    Stewart agreed.
    "In my experience, everytime you have a government that is serious about working with the private sector, it will have a constructive impact," he said.
    Capital and Credit Merchant Bank head, Ryland Campbell, noted that there is a "presumption" that some government ministers are not adequately qualified for their portfolios, and highlighted that more state interaction with business persons may be "useful".
    "This can be very useful to government for the simple reason that there is a presumption that politicians, prior to being appointed to a ministry, know very little about the (portfolio), but on being appointed know everything about everything," said Campbell. "It is important for there to be an interaction in a meaningful way between people who have practiced the craft and those who are expected to come up with initiatives for development."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

I thought the bauxite levy was a bad thing. ?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

call me backward in thinking, old
      fashioned, dunce, lumpen et al. I think if one wants to truly serve Ja, one iether join a political party, campaign and put your desire to the people, this way they can VOTE you in to execute your plan. Corporations will always be corporations (private entities looking for their own interest). If corporations want to be nataionalistic then they can always reinvest their profits in their home nation (this can be seen in N america and WEurope) It puzzles me why corporations could not reinivest their profits in Ja whilst the PNP was in power.

Many coprporations profits were invested abroad, whilst others did not even make it to the shores of Ja. This is just the view of one not skilled in mind looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        I thought the bauxite levy was a bad thing. ?!
        Actually the bad thing is what they did with the money...

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
          call me backward in thinking, old
          fashioned, dunce, lumpen et al. I think if one wants to truly serve Ja, one iether join a political party, campaign and put your desire to the people, this way they can VOTE you in to execute your plan. Corporations will always be corporations (private entities looking for their own interest). If corporations want to be nataionalistic then they can always reinvest their profits in their home nation (this can be seen in N america and WEurope) It puzzles me why corporations could not reinivest their profits in Ja whilst the PNP was in power.

Many coprporations profits were invested abroad, whilst others did not even make it to the shores of Ja. This is just the view of one not skilled in mind looking in.

Which Govt was in power during the Financial Crash and Finsac 'solution'.

Which Govt was in power when Govt bonds exceeding by far any potential return that could be expected from a vibrant company were the order of the day while the environment for real entrepenuership was strangled by poor Govt policy ?

You are a real comedian.

Comment

Please refer to Omar's
            response on FINSAC then come back to me with detailed counter arguments. I can recall that one businessman acquired many assets under finsac.Correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

Comment

Please refer to Omar's
              response on FINSAC then come back to me with detailed counter arguments. I can recall that one businessman acquired many assets under finsac.Correct me if I am wrong, thanks.
              A businessman is a businessman, he is going to grab an opportunity that benefits him. FINSAC cost us how much? How many property was seized from Don Crawford, property worth millions and sold for a fraction to a good comrade?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So the Govt. just up and
                took Mr.Crawford poperty? This is wrong Ja is a democracy, BTW why didn't Mr.crawford take this to the courts? This is just wrong.

Comment

So the Govt. just up and
                  took Mr.Crawford poperty? This is wrong Ja is a democracy, BTW why didn't Mr.crawford take this to the courts? This is just wrong.
                  .... okay Jawge.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You on a roll today...tell me the secret - Gingko biloba?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      A businessman is a businessman, he is going to grab an opportunity that benefits him. FINSAC cost us how much? How many property was seized from Don Crawford, property worth millions and sold for a fraction to a good comrade?
                      Do you know of a history of any bank(s) or banks or other financial lending institution(s) seizing assets and selling same to the
                      person(s) or entity(entities) from which it was seized for less than outstanding balances on current loan?

If you do know of such a bank(s) kindly tell me of it(them)?!

Why is it you fellows insist on trying to mislead?

How many of Crawford properties were sold to a 'good comrade'? Were any of his properties sold to 'good labourites'?

Why do you fellows insist on trying to mislead?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes that's it

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          Do you know of a history of any bank(s) or banks or other financial lending institution(s) seizing assets and selling same to the
                          person(s) or entity(entities) from which it was seized for less than outstanding balances on current loan?

If you do know of such a bank(s) kindly tell me of it(them)?!

Why is it you fellows insist on trying to mislead?

How many of Crawford properties were sold to a 'good comrade'? Were any of his properties sold to 'good labourites'?

Why do you fellows insist on trying to mislead?
                          Do you people read the newspapers or unuh just select certain things to read?

Comment

Please refer to Omar's
                            I am not interested in Omar response to FINSAC or the few that were able to join in the garage sale.

You need to educate yourself on why FINSAC was neccessary and specifically what GOVERNMENT POLICIES led to the crash.

Comment

Educate me;on what were
                              these policies

Comment

Working...
                              X