• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must say hats off to

this lady, who I know personally:

All eyes on Juline Samuels
    published: Monday | October 1, 2007

Juline Samuels - Contributed
    Often described as the gateway to the soul, the eyes are believed to convey one's deepest thoughts and display true inner beauty. With her expressive doe-like eyes, the winner of the first Supermodel of Jamaica title, Juline Sammuels, relays concentrated exquisiteness in her eyes. A finalist in the 1988 Jamaica Fashion Model pageant, the world loved to gaze upon Juline.
    Though modelling was an entirely new career path for young Jamaican women in the early '80s, Samuels was determined to see her dream through, inspired by the original go-getter Laing. "Althea Laing was my inspiration at that time because she was so beautiful and people gravitated towards her personality. After seeing what she achieved with Essence, I was driven to pursue modelling as my career."
    First winner
    Samuels, who hails from Montego Bay, was declared the first winner of the Supermodel of Jamaica title in 1990. Presented by Pulse, in partnership with the famed Ford Modelling Agency, Juline was selected by Katie Ford, daughter of Eileen Ford, from a field of over 20 Pulse models, to work with the prestigious agency. Juline headed to NewYork and did extensive photo tests with Ford. In 1992, she jetted off to Paris and London with fellow Pulse models Romae Gordon, Lois Samuels and Susan Herman.
    Intent on replicating the success of the model who inspired her, Juline soon impressed the heads at Essence. She created history when she was one of two Pulse models in contention for an Essence cover. Juline bested her namesake Lois Samuels and landed the coveted cover in February 1992, as well as several editorials and a lucrative Essence eyewear contract.
    "The Essence cover was my first international assignment and naturally, I was nervous. However, at that time I didn't realise how big of a deal it was. Looking back now, I find that I have greater appreciation for the cover, as today, only well known persons and celebrities dominate the cover of Essence and the other major magazines."
    The model economy during Juline's ascent proved to be a very difficult time for black models, as some were victim of blatant forms of discrimination. Fortunately, she was never a victim to the ugly reality around her.
    Through her agencies Elite Chicago and Mega Models, Juline landed the famous Beefeater Gin campaign that saw her in nation-wide print and billboard advertising.
    "In those days, discrimination existed against black models on a whole, but I had my own confidence and I didn't focus on the fact that I was dark skinned and emerged from a less traditional model market. If I didn't get a select job, I didn't blame the state of the market because I was a professional. As a model, you are selling your look; you are the product and the clients may think you are suitable for their campaign this season and next season, they want a different look."
    Known for her strong facial features, Juline's most striking asset was, without question, her piercing, yet soft eyes. "Many clients were drawn to and selected me because of the shape and setting of my eyes." And while great attention was focused on her hypnotising eyes, she relates that being a 'famous face' or, in her case, having a 'famous set of eyes' can make you a little conscious. "You get this feeling of constantly being watched or on display, but that comes with the territory of modelling, so you have to learn to be fully comfortable in your own skin." Ambitious and confident, her commitment and dedication to her craft saw her residing in South Africa in 1996. "I took the opportunity to travel and learnt a lot from the experience I was much more comfortable to explore and to embrace new situations."
    Successful stints
    Juline had successful stints in South Africa and the highlight was her selection for a Smirnoff advertising campaign.
    Currently pursuing a bachelor of science degree in social science and psychology, Juline has retired from active modelling but has the editorials and covers of Essence, Black Elegance, Redbook, Allure, Femina, True Love and Pashini to remind her of her great journey. Comparing the industry of yesteryear to today, Juline affirms that the biggest change is the lifetime of the faces: "Nowadays, there are a lot more girls on the market, almost every young woman wants to be a model, so the career span is much shorter."

Dis is what yuh come tuh ?

damn.. hope you recover soon.

Comment

So what's wrong if mi
      say kudos to someone I know? Wha yuh nuh like woman?

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        Wha yuh nuh like woman?
        When mi talk unnuh nuh waan listen

Comment

Bricky, why yuh like start
          chubble so eeeh? Yuh know it nah go pretty when Ben come roun here come see dis? wooooeeeee

Comment

Your problem is yuh don't think outside the box...

The more b@ttyman deh bout.. di more woman fi me.

Nuh worry.. is a higher order of reasoning..

Comment

exactly what do you mean? you have a vested interest in seeing to it that the b@ttyman population increases?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If I am in a room with 5 women and 4 other men.. and di 4 man dem seh dem thinking bout going off by themselves and leave me wid di 5 woman dem.. I not gwine stap dem or argue wid dem..

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  exactly what do you mean? you have a vested interest in seeing to it that the b@ttyman population increases?
                  Higher order of reasoning.

Comment

Working...
                  X