• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tufton seeks help to avoid Walkerswood shutdown

By BALFORD HENRY
    Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, October 01, 2007

Agriculture Minister Dr Christopher Tufton has asked Development Bank of Jamaica head, Milverton Reynolds, to hammer out an arrangement to prevent the world-famous seasoning manufacturer, Walkerswood Caribbean Foods, from closing down.

Tufton... it has a brand name that has done well internationally

The St Ann-based company is said to owe in excess of US$10 million to its creditors, including the National Commercial Bank (NCB), as well as some US$10 million to more than 100 local farmers who depend on its purchases to meet their debts.

"I have asked him to convene a meeting with all the parties, including the banks, the management of Walkerswood and other creditors... to try and find an amicable solution," Dr Tufton told the Observer on Friday.
    His decision followed news that the seasoning giant could be closed down and eventually sold by its creditors to meet its debts.

"I am moving to try and prevent a shutdown, and to secure the continuation of the company and the livelihood of the farmers, as well as the symbol of the company and what it represents in the marketplace," Tufton added.

The Observer was told that the creditors had given the management an ultimatum to make good on commitments, but the company was unable to meet the requirements.

Several attempts to contact the company's manager, Woodrow Mitchell, on Friday failed.

But Tufton said that he is determined to keep the company open to save the jobs of its employees, the livelihood of the farmers and the international reputation of the brand and project.

"I came to office and saw the situation. I understand that there was some initiative before my time to facilitate dialogue, but those did not bear much fruit," the minister admitted.

"It has a brand name that has done well internationally and it is used normally as a model for doing such projects well," said Tufton. "Not to mention the fact that they have just undertaken some major expansion to modernise the facility and to introduce new products and so on."

Walkerswood, a community project registered since 1978, was the first local company to bottle and market Jamaica's famous jerk seasoning.

Considered a model for rural development, it traces its roots to the distribution of jerk pork to bars in the community as a means of providing employment within the community and discouraging the drift to urban centres.

Since then, its range of products has grown extensively, its visibility in foreign markets exceptional and its employment figures to over 100 persons, each having a stake in its ownership.

The company formed Walkerswood Marketing in 1994 to promote its products in Miami and London. It also opened an eatery in Brixton which was known as the perfect showcase for Caribbean dishes in London.

The European Union, under an initiative to help income-earning opportunities for farming communities, injected some $11 million into the project in return for a guarantee of contractual arrangements with about 150 farmers in the area to produce pepper, escallion and spices.

In March 2005, the company borrowed US$1.8 million plus J$29 million, from NCB, in senior secured loan facilities for the construction of a 42,000 square-foot factory and visitor attraction in response to the growing international demand for the company's products.
    Last edited by Karl; October 1, 2007, 10:27 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I hope we do find away to save Walkerwood and to make the business profitable.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

can someone explain this to me...

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      By BALFORD HENRY Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
      Monday, October 01, 2007

Agriculture Minister Dr Christopher Tufton has asked Development Bank of Jamaica head, Milverton Reynolds, to hammer out an arrangement to prevent the world-famous seasoning manufacturer, Walkerswood Caribbean Foods, from closing down.
      Tufton... it has a brand name that has done well internationally
      The St Ann-based company is said to owe in excess of US$10 million to its creditors, including the National Commercial Bank (NCB), as well as some US$10 million to more than 100 local farmers who depend on its purchases to meet their debts.
      "I have asked him to convene a meeting with all the parties, including the banks, the management of Walkerswood and other creditors... to try and find an amicable solution," Dr Tufton told the Observer on Friday.
      His decision followed news that the seasoning giant could be closed down and eventually sold by its creditors to meet its debts.
      "I am moving to try and prevent a shutdown, and to secure the continuation of the company and the livelihood of the farmers, as well as the symbol of the company and what it represents in the marketplace," Tufton added.
      The Observer was told that the creditors had given the management an ultimatum to make good on commitments, but the company was unable to meet the requirements.
      Several attempts to contact the company's manager, Woodrow Mitchell, on Friday failed.
      But Tufton said that he is determined to keep the company open to save the jobs of its employees, the livelihood of the farmers and the international reputation of the brand and project.
      "I came to office and saw the situation. I understand that there was some initiative before my time to facilitate dialogue, but those did not bear much fruit," the minister admitted.
      "It has a brand name that has done well internationally and it is used normally as a model for doing such projects well," said Tufton. "Not to mention the fact that they have just undertaken some major expansion to modernise the facility and to introduce new products and so on."
      Walkerswood, a community project registered since 1978, was the first local company to bottle and market Jamaica's famous jerk seasoning.
      Considered a model for rural development, it traces its roots to the distribution of jerk pork to bars in the community as a means of providing employment within the community and discouraging the drift to urban centres.
      Since then, its range of products has grown extensively, its visibility in foreign markets exceptional and its employment figures to over 100 persons, each having a stake in its ownership.
      The company formed Walkerswood Marketing in 1994 to promote its products in Miami and London. It also opened an eatery in Brixton which was known as the perfect showcase for Caribbean dishes in London.
      The European Union, under an initiative to help income-earning opportunities for farming communities, injected some $11 million into the project in return for a guarantee of contractual arrangements with about 150 farmers in the area to produce pepper, escallion and spices.
      In March 2005, the company borrowed US$1.8 million plus J$29 million, from NCB, in senior secured loan facilities for the construction of a 42,000 square-foot factory and visitor attraction in response to the growing international demand for the company's products.
      how can a company with only 100 employees, allegedly enjoying so much growth in international demand be so far in the red? seems like a management issue? perhaps some of our more learned forumites can shed some light on this... production inefficiency?

whereas the company only employs 100 people and supports only 150 farmers, should the government intervene? would really like to hear some views...

the question is where did all that money go? why did it take so long for this problem to be addressed?
      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Agreed! What's really happening up in Walkerswood?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That is my favorite jerk seanoning too. I hope they can find a way to stay afloat.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Shocker!
            ...but, I really knew nothing about the financial strength of the company or how it was managed...all I knew was a bit of the history of the company coming from its community roots and that they made great products.

I wonder if it was a matter of...like the JFF an insular entity...whereby the community leaders cum company founders kept the reigns of management upto themselves and neither acquired the necessary additional knowledge through ongoing continuious training nor hired competent persons outside of their group/worked with competent outside experts to improve performances and strengthen management at various levels needing same?

I do not know.
            It would be interesting to have someone give insight into how they progressed over the years?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dem shoulda know bettah.. Paulwell warn dem..

'Jamaica is not a place friendly to investment..'

I wonder if unnuh understand the implications of that statement.. is not one coconut vendor seh suh...

Comment

Oh, did you know that Jamaica ranks higher than T&T as a place to do business?

I guess that must have come about since Sept. 3.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                  Dem shoulda know bettah.. Paulwell warn dem..

'Jamaica is not a place friendly to investment..'

I wonder if unnuh understand the implications of that statement.. is not one coconut vendor seh suh...
                  Well if what the writer of the article above says is true as far as financial support is concerned the Walker's Wood enterprise had some heavyweight friends.

...however, if you are referring to our propensity to hang on to leadership positions with no outside input...even when we have clearly advanced the core cause to levels outside of our competence, then you may be right!

...as I say, "poised for take off" is a truism...it is just for us to do the right things! ...so it is for Jamaica...so it is for our football! ...and, for that matter so it is for the RBSC.
                  Last edited by Karl; October 1, 2007, 12:54 PM.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

the question again is, should the govt intervene in this operation... whats in it for the government and the people... who really would the govenment be helping in this instance... please can u tell me maudib or anyone for that matter...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Misleading...only in terms of the company formations, pieces of approvals etc.- think they said 8 days.

Comment

Who owns Walkerswood? Start there.

Comment

So mi get it...!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I hope the company can be saved and turned onto growth path. It is a Jamaican treasure...and, could become a trailblazer for other such type entites...albeit we hope those others shall be good profitable successful companies.

Comment

I think Pickapeppa already blazed that trail. (I'm assuming they make money from their small Shooter's Hill factory.) Maybe Walkerswood has too many products?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X