• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Labour didn't work' The Ian Hayles story

'Labour didn't work' The Ian Hayles story
    published: Sunday | September 30, 2007

Daraine Luton, Sunday Gleaner Reporter

Ian Hayles (left) and Ralston Anson (centre) address reporters following constituency elections in Western Hanover in 2006. - Photo by Claudia Gardner

AT AGE 35, Ian Hayles is one of the youngest Members of Parliament in Gordon House.
    However, with the exception of his constituents in Western Hanover, many Jamaicans do not know him; some have heard his name, but few can put a face to the name.

His name, though, has gone around the country like a firestorm since Thursday's official opening of Parliament at George William Gordon House in Kingston, when he failed to shake the hand of Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

Didn't acknowledge PM
    Moments after taking the Oath of Office, Hayles followed protocol by shaking hands with Speaker Delroy Chuck. And as a matter of courtesy and common practice, he shook hands with Derrick Smith; but he failed to acknowledge Prime Minister Golding, who was seated beside Mr. Smith.
    Responding to the maelstrom that ensued, Hayles says his action had not been intentional.

"I am very sorry about it. It was just an oversight ... I was overwhelmed by the occasion. In fact, I was very nervous," Hayles tells The Sunday Gleaner.

As condemnation and reactions continue to swirl, Hayles' story of life in politics remains untold.
    'Just who is Ian Hayles?' many are asking.

The young politician tells The Sunday Gleaner that he was born in the People's National Party (PNP) bedrock of George's Plain in Central Westmoreland. He later moved to Sir Alexander Bustamante's birth district, Blenheim in Hanover, and then to Cave Hill, also in the parish, where he spent his early-childhood days before migrating to the United States at age 13.

Hayles says his mother, Pauline Brown, was an organiser for the PNP, the party he turned his back on when he joined the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) in 2000, and that his life in the JLP "only confirmed how much of a Comrade I am".

"It was an uncomfortable position. I was the only one out of that household that ever entertained talk about the Jamaica Labour Party," Hayles says.

In the United States, Hayles read for a batchelor's degree in business administration. In 2000, Hayles felt compelled to contribute more to the development of Jamaica. He wrote former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson, offering to help in Jamaica's development.
    "I spent 21 years abroad. I was invited back, to come home to Jamaica, by the People's National Party. Things did not go as planned and whatever commitments were made to me were not kept," Hayles says.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Service greater than self - Hayles
    published: Sunday | September 30, 2007

Having lived in the United States, Hayles acquired dual citizenship. He claims that he gave up his U.S. citizenship prior to nomination day, August 7, and is now awaiting ratification.

Hayles comments tha he wants to visit his children and other family members in the U.S., he has to wait, and he hopes that a December visa application is successful. But the father of three children feels that "services and sacrifice is for causes greater than one's personal self."

In the interview with The Sunday Gleaner, Hayles did not mince words as he blasted members of his former party, which he says offered him as much as $40 million to cross the floor and join them.

The former vice-president of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) affiliate, Generation 2000 (G2K), told The Sunday Gleaner that at the time of the fallout with the People's National Party (PNP), he met Dr. David Panton, who had just started the movement.

Good friends
    "I met David and we became good friends with Andrew Holness. I went into G2K and helped build the organisation along with David Panton," Hayles says.

"Along the way, Mr. Seaga saw my work, was impressed with my work, and he asked me to come along and be a special adviser to the Leader of the Opposition."

Hayles worked for three years between 2000 and 2003 as special adviser to Seaga, but once Seaga became former JLP leader, Halyes began to consider his future in the party.

"It came to a point in the Labour Party where it was about class, it was about where you came from and it was about an uptown kind of image ... It did not speak to the traditions which were in me. It was about personality and it still is today," Hayles says.

After four years in the JLP, he resigned as a member of the party, left the G2K and also resigned from the most powerful decision-making body of the party - the standing committee.

"I have always known that in spite of the differences I had with my party, the People's National Party, I would have returned to the fold some day," Hayles tells The Sunday Gleaner.

Ambitious
    Meanwhile, Holness, a JLP minister and one who worked closely with Hayles while he was special adviser to Seaga, tells The Sunday Gleaner that "Hayles is very ambitious".
    "He is one who has taken full advantage of the opportunities presented to him," Holness says.

One opportunity Hayles would feel that he has seized is returning to the PNP he would not say what commitments the PNP did not honour which forced him to join the JLP, he says he now feels right at home.

"My party has made some mistakes, [but] I am committed to them and I will never leave the folds of the People's National Party," he says.

Hayles leaves very little doubt as to how he feels about Mr. Golding and maintains that his failure to shake the hand of Mr. Golding was not deliberate. It is also clear that Hayles, one of Seaga's protégés, looks up to the former Prime Minister more than the current one.

"In the time that I have known Edward Seaga, he has been someone that I respect, someone that I admire for his service to country and he has always been someone that, as a young person trying to serve the country, I could call upon."
    "I can't say that for some people in the Labour Party. Seaga is loyal and he is committed. You could always take Seaga's word to the bank," says Hayles, who gets his inspiration from activists Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and Marcus Garvey.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

"It came to a point in the Labour Party where it was about class, it was about where you came from and it was about an uptown kind of image ... It did not speak to the traditions which were in me. It was about personality and it still is today," Hayles says.
      Interesting!

For Maudib, that's okay. Black Man Time didn't work, so let's try Uptown Time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

maybe him shoulda do like Bruce and form his own party cause none a dem nuh seems to work for him.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          maybe him shoulda do like Bruce and form his own party cause none a dem nuh seems to work for him.
          What yuh expect him fi say? Him leff the party and they went on to form the gov't. Him affi find a way fi justify his move.

Isn't it strange how him claim class is an issue in the JLP? Didn't he notice the treatment of Portia by her 'comrades'?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

If it is all about class, how he became advisor to the opposition leader?
            The fact is Bruce take over and nuff a dem didn't like it. They choose to leave or was forced to.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Interesting!

For Maudib, that's okay. Black Man Time didn't work, so let's try Uptown Time!
              I notice yuh nevah ask if Hayles is Flip or Flop...

The fact him bring di tyad Uptown argument is enough to condemn him..

Lets get real Hayles... give us the real story..

Comment

I didn't have a problem with your party leader's flipping and flopping thru the JLP then the NDM then the JLP now the NDM again, why should I have a problem with Hayle's version?The uptown argument is not tiyad one bit!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I didn't have a problem with your party leader's flipping and flopping thru the JLP then the NDM then the JLP now the NDM again, why should I have a problem with Hayle's version?The uptown argument is not tiyad one bit!
                  When you choose to raise the flip/flop is what is interesting.. that and the motive... since apparantly you do not have a problem with it.. heh, heh.

The uptown argument is as tyad as the 'White man keeping me down' argument.. lets all it the 'Uptown Cyard'...

Who have more class issues than the PNP ?

LOL !! WHOEEE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    'White man keeping me down' argument..
                    Valid argument as well. Some abuse it, but I dare say most who spend time saying it are being held down more by their own issues.

Still, the argument is sound and black people, particularly in the USA better recognize! Meanwhile, black people in Jamaica better recognize the power or "uptown"!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Valid argument as well. Some abuse it, but I dare say most who spend time saying it are being held down more by their own issues.

Still, the argument is sound and black people, particularly in the USA better recognize! Meanwhile, black people in Jamaica better recognize the power or "uptown"!
                      Recognize the power of the monied class ???

Who nuh recognize dat yet ?

Watch how quick argument stop when certain people reach 'Uptown'

LOL !!

Comment

Power is one thing, but the machinations that are employed to keep others out is what people need to understand.

The argument may stop but the "condition" does not go away.

You may have the last word on this, Maudib.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Power is one thing, but the machinations that are employed to keep others out is what people need to understand.

The argument may stop but the "condition" does not go away.

You may have the last word on this, Maudib.
                          I thought the PNP was supposed to solve that problem ?

Hmmmm..

Comment

It came to a point in the Labour Party where it was about class, it was about where you came from and it was about an uptown kind of image ... It did not speak to the traditions which were in me. It was about personality and it still is today," Hayles says.
                            dem thing did gwaan in yah

Comment

Country bwoy juss cyaan hangle di Town ting...

Comment

Working...
                              X