Peralto prevails in St Mary South East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peralto prevails in St Mary South East

Two misplaced boxes counted and Peralto wins by slim margin of 15 votes.

Harry Douglas says he accepts the decision and will move on.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

What a tell yuh yesterday??? It seems like my status as prophet beats out Phinn by a mile! Ah only want my last predix to come thru...that Jamaica finds commercial quanties of oil and gas offshore!

Danville Walker seems like a genius now. LoL Him lucky nuh rhatid with his prediction!

Comment

The man was a top class hurdler. I could see him "hurdling" this obstacle. LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        The man was a top class hurdler. I could see him "hurdling" this obstacle. LoL
        You are not suggesting he set the table?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

???

Not sure what you mean. I was just making a light hearted post...nothing serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            ???

Not sure what you mean. I was just making a light hearted post...nothing serious.
            A tongue in cheek comment...consider the DOE made his call...strange losing of boxes which were not lost...efforts made to not count that dragged on for an appreciable time...Tarn went and was sworn in...previous to supposedly knowing he had won the seat!

Water under the bridge...but something I am sure will come up once the hustlings commence for the next elections!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Brilliant - He allowed the counting of the two ballot boxes because he knew the electoral office could not remove him from the seat even if Harry Douglass had picked up 38 more votes than him. But if that had happened the result could have led to political war.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Election petition WOULD have eventually removed him.

Comment

Perhaps an election petiotion could have change the results but the official records of 37 margin of victory will stand. Perhaps only a petition could change the margin?
                  The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

No,

the petition would be based on the full count and would have overturned any previous differnt result.

Indeed, Peralto is now the potential petitioner and "could" appeal, but of course this makes no sense.

Comment

I am glad Harry lose as South East St.Mary needs fresh representation and Harry choose to retire then return after a new PNP candidate was named. Hopefully my family and the people of South East St.Mary will get proper represenataton and I hope Mr. Peralto realise it is performance or he will be the first 1 term MP in that constituency.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'Pip Pip' Harry fades away
                        published: Saturday | September 29, 2007

Mark Beckford, Staff Reporter

Harry Douglas, former People's National Party Member of Parliament for St. Mary South East, pumps his fist as he exits the Electoral Office on Duke Street, downtown Kingston yesterday. Mr. Douglas lost the seat to the Jamaica Labour Party's Tarn Peralto by 15 votes after the counting of the ballots in two controversial boxes. - Norman Grindley/ Deputy Chief Photographer

Some, maybe many, People's National Party (PNP) supporters thought the Jamaica Labour Party's (JLP) Tarn Peralto would have been the shortest-serving Member of the House of Representatives after his swearing-in at Thursday's re-opening of Parliament.

He, however, proved them wrong after he was confirmed the winner of the South East St. Mary seat at the end of the counting of the two controversial ballot boxes containing sealed envelopes with the ballots of election day workers.

"I was feeling very happy from the 6th of September," Mr. Peralto told The Gleaner yesterday afternoon.

After the official count, PNP candidate Harry Douglas had lost by 34 votes; however, he asked for a magisterial recount.

Two boxes not counted
                        Although Mr. Peralto picked up an additional three votes in the magisterial recount, controversy arose after it was discovered that two boxes from the constituency containing votes from election day workers, who voted on August 28, were not counted in the official or magisterial counts.
                        The controversy was deepened when Mr. Peralto obtained an injunction from the Supreme Court blocking the counting of the two ballot boxes. The injunction was only lifted one day before the re-opening of Parliament, on Thursday, with the result coming yesterday.

After the final result yesterday, Mr. Peralto continued to defend his decision to seek the injunction.
                        "The electoral process is governed by rules and laws and I have maintained that from the beginning ... those votes cannot be introduced after the final count, the rules must be followed."

Conceded defeat
                        As he had done after the initial election result, Mr. Douglas yesterday conceded defeat and said he would not be contesting the results from the two ballot boxes which were not included in the magisterial recount. Mr. Douglas, who had been MP for the constituency since 1989, expressed gratitude to the voters of South East St. Mary.

He said he was now looking to the future and his "retirement course", as well as toward helping the PNP in its re-organisation and getting involved in social work.

mark.beckford@gleanerjm.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          A tongue in cheek comment...consider the DOE made his call...strange losing of boxes which were not lost...efforts made to not count that dragged on for an appreciable time...Tarn went and was sworn in...previous to supposedly knowing he had won the seat!

Water under the bridge...but something I am sure will come up once the hustlings commence for the next elections!
                          Water ? Heh, heh.. dat water deh kinda murky.. mind what yuh trying to pass off as water..

Comment

Working...
                          X