• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident Bad spots

- Llandovery main road among the deadliest
    published: Friday | September 28, 2007

Marlon Vickerman, Gleaner Writer

The Llandovery main road in St. Ann ranked among the deadliest spots in Jamaica in 2006, as far as car accidents go.

According to residents who live close to the thoroughfare, speeding is the primary cause of the deadly mishaps. The Gleaner news team's recent visit to the area proved this assessment not to be far-fetched, as some cars flew by like fighter jets.

'Nurse', who lives close to the Llandovery main road, said she has lost count of the number of accidents, fatal and otherwise, that she has witnessed on that stretch of road.

Many incidents since the highway

"I've been living in the area for 24 years and I've seen many accidents, especially since the highway build. I remember in March of this year, a guy was coming from Ocho Rios when the car got out of control and flipped over three times with him. Luckily, he survived," she recalled.

"Then, last year July, a good friend of mine ran under a truck, he died on the spot. I mean, almost every day accidents go on out here and is speeding causing that, as far as I see it. Everybody speeding."

A local craft vendor, commonly referred to as 'Tiger', says he has seen some 20 or more fatal accidents in the four-year period he has been working in the location.

"Since the highway set up, a just pure body mi a see. Cow all kill man, man a drive and run up inna cow pon de road ya and dead. Mi see all car climb light pole to how dem a speed," said Tiger. "The worst accident mi see still is earlier this year when about five people dead in a crash with a bus and truck. Yeah, that is the worst accident mi see on Llandovery."

Various factors

Sgt. Higilock Mullings, sub-officer in charge of traffic for St. Ann, said that there are various factors contributing to accidents on the stretch of road, such as improper overtaking and the overloading of trucks. However, he noted that speeding remains the main problem.

As it relates to plans aimed at possibly stemming the occurrence of accidents on the thoroughfare, he said: "We have daily speed checks along the route and we work along with the examiners to check vehicles for defects, such as broken windscreens, steering problems, that sort of thing that may contribute to accidents."

Sergeant Mullings continued that an additional plan to counter accidents is currently under way. He said this will involve the erection of speed signs along the stretch by the National Works Agency. In closing, he said the success of the plans will hinge on the cooperation of the motorists, who often revert to speeding in the absence of the lawmen.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Man, I see some driving pon that road ... luckily there is a lane that I call the escape lane. Funny enough, I see a few people driving in that lane, I wonder if they do that out of fear?

I hear Mike Henry talking about hiway patrol, I do hope its a real patrol and not a set of profilers that park up fi people see dem. I drive from Mobay to the Garden Parish and except fi 2 police car park up wid the 'officers' a duh dem ting, I don't see another police car on the road.

Driving a Deportee everybody flashing me. The police dem need fi drive up and down pon the hiway looking for those that are not abiding by the traffic laws.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      - Llandovery main road among the deadliest
      published: Friday | September 28, 2007

Sergeant Mullings continued that an additional plan to counter accidents is currently under way. He said this will involve the erection of speed signs along the stretch by the National Works Agency. In closing, he said the success of the plans will hinge on the cooperation of the motorists, who often revert to speeding in the absence of the lawmen.
      How is the erection of speed signs going to help, if most of the motorists can't READ, COMPREHEND or SEE the speed limit sign. Maybe there is a need to write some signs in Patois
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

or just don't downright care!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

When I was at Breezes earlier this year, I was in a bus heading west around 6 pm, and the police were picking up the pieces of a wreck.

Looked like car hit a truck head on.

Comment

Working...
          X