X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM announces sweeping changes to Parliament

PM announces sweeping changes to Parliament

Thursday, 27 September 2007
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding Thursday proposed sweeping changes to the age-old Parliamentary structures, a move which appears to have the blessing of the Opposition.

Among the changes placed on the Parliamentary agenda are the status of the Opposition Leader, Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the House as well as President of the Senator.

Traditionally, while some courtesies were accorded to the position of Opposition Leader by members, there were really no official status for the office.

The person holding the post of Opposition Leader was regarded as a merely an elected Member.

But Thursday, Mr. Golding moved to change all that in what he described as a framework for good governance.

He proposed that the office of Opposition Leader will be granted similar status to that of Deputy Prime Minister, which would fall just below the position of Prime Minister in the order of Parliamentary precedence.

Speaker of the House and President of the Senate are to be the accorded status akin to Cabinet Ministers and the Deputy Speaker, will be treated similar to State Ministers.

Reiterating his determination to strengthen the role of Members of Parliament, Mr. Golding asserted that the Parliamentary chamber must be a forum for true representation for the people had elected members.

Within this context, the Prime Minister declared that he remained committed to empowering the Parliamentary Opposition.

Mr. Golding announced that Opposition members will be appointed to Chair Parliamentary Committees.

In another far-reaching gesture, Mr. Golding proposed that the Standing Orders or rules of Parliament be amended to allow any member to make statements to the House.

Currently the Standing Orders only facilitate statements from Ministers.

And he wants sanctions to be placed in the rule book to ensure that resolutions tabled in Parliament are debated within a specified period.

Numerous resolutions have fallen off the Order Paper or Parliamentary agenda each year because they are never debated much to the frustration of the members who tabled them.

And given the fact that his administration had taken over the mantle of leadership midway into the 2007/2008 legislative year, Mr. Golding revealed that he has ordered a review of the legislative agenda.
    Last edited by Karl; September 28, 2007, 07:07 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Now tell me if nuh this Golding say him did a go do from long time?

So far he has been living up to what he said he was going to do. With time and economic growth just maybe he will do more.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Cho, who cares about serious issues, people round here only concerned about trivial stuff, like whose plane the PM using ... eh Sickko?

By the way, how come Sass posting this before Sickko at ground zero? hehehehe.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Excellent moves by Bruce!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Careful how yuh remind us about what him say him was going to do, because if he doesn't do it then yuh can't cuss those who bring it up. Yuh can't have your cake and nyam it off!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah...planning for when he's back in opposition...very strategic!

Comment

The first meeting of Parliament Mo. At least him nah wait pon him own mandate.

Comment

He has his own mandate, sass. I don't understand that statement.

I have said my bit on Portia and her desired own mandate.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuhseeit! I pointed that out yesterday! heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The fact is if Portia did make half a the move Golding made since elected she would still be in office today but she claim PJ mandate tied her hand.

Comment

But you didn't see Bruce a talk bout this from his NDM days? saying he is going to empower the opposition?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                        Yeah...planning for when he's back in opposition...very strategic!
                        Very smart.. we want to prevent the fiasco of the last 18 years when 'Gods' were created.

Impressive moves by Bruce Golding.

If him don't do it we certainly cannot expect the 'We always believe we are best for Jamaica...' Cult to do it, dem only know about preserving power and as much of it as possible..

If we cannot kill the mad dogs.. at least put them on a short leash.

Comment

4 years 11 months and counting.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh tink is just now him realise him going to spend most of his political career in opposition??!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No argument here.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X