Duvalier apologises for 'wrongs'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    I can see how reasonable people can disagree about the way Mugabe handled the white farm land issue, but he has gone so far down the road since then and done so much damage to his OWN people that I don't see how anyone can still have a favourable opinion of what he has done in the last decade or so.

It is hard for me to understand how a man who did so much good for his people for so many years has let it come to this. When I think that Ian Smith has lived to see Zimbabwe reduced to this desparate state I can only shake my head in sorrow.
    I agree with everything you said. Just that when pople come on here and talk; bout Haiti dis and Haiti dat. They are still paying for defeating the slave master on the battlefield and on the mental field. Jamaicans will never know that because of " Out of many one people".

Comment

We need to place ourselves in history, not just read about it. Consider "the day" and "the events" when we read a history book.

Sorry, Hortical, this is certainly not the place to examine Haiti's history. But good books abound.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, there was a joke in the former communist bloc where a man fleeing Poland and a man fleeing Russia met each other going in opposite directions. The Pole asked the Russian, "why are you leaving to Russia" and he said "all I want to do is talk, why are you leaving Poland?" and he said "all I want to do is eat" and they both continued on thier way.

I suspect people in Zimbabwe today wish they could either talk or eat. At least under Ian Smith most of them could eat. I mentioned him making me sad meaning that he must be laughing about how this all turned out.

Of all the post-colonial African disasters of the last 50 years the Zimbabwe story hurts me the most because they started out so well and had the least reasons to fail.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

These days, it's probably more difficult to do with either of them in Zimbabwe!

And some might consider talking more important!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That is true. Rudder said he wrote that song after hearing some people talking about Haiti today and it was obvious that they knew nothing of the history behind it.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
            X