gamma? Renewal of US passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gamma? Renewal of US passport

(If any of the below-mentioned acts or conditions have been performed by or apply to the applicant, the portion which

applies should be lined out, and a supplementary explanatory statement under oath (or affirmation) by the applicant

should be attached and made a part of this application.) I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship, been
    naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state;

taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state;

entered or served in the armed forces of a foreign state; accepted or performed the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or political subdivision thereof;

made a formal renunciation of nationality either in the United States, or before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a
    foreign state;

or been convicted by a court or court martial of competent jurisdiction of committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against,
    the United States, or conspiring to overthrow, put
    down, or to destroy by force, the Government of the United States.

-----and------what does all this mean? --->

AUTHORITIES
    Collection of the information solicited on this form is authorized by Titles 8, 22, and 26 of the United

States Code, whether or not codified, including specifically 22 U.S.C. 211a et seq.; 26 U.S.C. 6039E, Section 236 of the

Admiral James W. Nance and Meg Donovan Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001;

Executive Order 11295 (August 5, 1966); and 22 CFR parts 50 and 51.
    PURPOSE

The primary purpose for soliciting the information is to establish citizenship, identity, and entitlement to

issuance of a U.S. passport.

ROUTINE USES

The information solicited on this form may be made available as a routine use to other government

agencies to assist the U.S. Department of State in adjudicating passport applications and requests for related services,

and for law enforcement and administration purposes. The information may be made available to foreign government
    agencies to fulfill passport control and immigration duties. The information may also be provided to foreign government
    agencies, international organizations and, in limited cases, private persons and organizations to investigate, prosecute,
    or otherwise address potential violations of law or to further the Secretary's responsibility for the protection of U.S.
    citizens and non-citizen nationals abroad. The information may be made available to private U.S. citizen 'wardens'
    designated by the U.S. embassies and consulates. For a more detailed listing of the routine uses to which this
    information may be put, see the Prefatory Statement of Routine Uses and the listing of routine .users set forth in the
    system descriptions for Overseas Citizen Services Records (State-05) and Passport Records (State-26) published in the
    Federal Register.

Some could lose US citizenship?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

why does the first excerpt have "I" in it? is it someone's statement? i would prefer to see the entire context of that statement.

as to your question, there are several instances in which naturalised US citizens can lose their US citizenship. in fact some born us citizens can lose some of their rights too....not to mention they have the right to renounce it on their own volition.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Interesting - Many American Jews serve in the Israeli Army!
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        why does the first excerpt have "I" in it? is it someone's statement? i would prefer to see the entire context of that statement.

as to your question, there are several instances in which naturalised US citizens can lose their US citizenship. in fact some born us citizens can lose some of their rights too....not to mention they have the right to renounce it on their own volition.
        Direct quote from the application to *renew passport! The "I" is part of what you attest to/swear and affirm...the applicant signs to such an affirmation. There are other things you are affirming to...but, I could not be bothered to reseach the various pieces of 'guiding rules, regulations, law and US Constitution'.

*Could be either 1st renewal of the after you have attained the age of 16...in fact let me post that section -

There are 4 requirements for using this form. Please use the following checklist to see if you are eligible to apply with a DS-82:
        I can submit my most recent, undamaged passport AND
        I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued AND
        I was issued my most recent passport in the last 15 years AND
        I use the same name as on my most recent passport or since my passport was issued, OR I have had my named changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper original documentation to reflect my name-change.
        If you answered NO to any of the 4 statements above… STOP! You cannot use Form DS-82! You must follow instructions on how apply in person .
        Last edited by Karl; September 26, 2007, 08:01 AM.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
          Interesting - Many American Jews serve in the Israeli Army!
          I read a book and or account of an American Jew who served in the Israeli Air Force - Was the name of the book "Star of David"? Not too sure! - This guy took Israeli citizenship. I think it was the '7 or 5 day war'...it was on a very short war in which the Israeli war machine...mainly the Air Force...crushed the opposition - Arab Nations and I think expanded Israeli territory?

Comment

7 day...they said it only lasted 7 days because israel had rented thier military equipment and it was due back on the 8th day.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

the funny thing is if you are born in america that is your birthright, however can you reclaim it after renouncing it? if you cannot where does that leave you, especially if your naturalised citizenship is revoked?

more questions than i have the time or inclination to find an answer to.

Comment

the funny thing is if you are born in america that is your birthright, however can you reclaim it after renouncing it? if you cannot where does that leave you, especially if your naturalised citizenship is revoked?

more questions than i have the time or inclination to find an answer to.
                If you renounce it i.e. American citizenship - then if you so desire you would have to re-apply...and, you do not have to be successful with that process as new determination will have to and indeed, will be made!

Comment

even if you were born there? not talking about naturalised citizens.

Comment

even if you were born there? not talking about naturalised citizens.
                    Yup!

Comment

If you renounce, you will likely never even get a visitors visa, as it is officially regarded as a hostile act.

Comment

Citizenship Laws of the United States

CITIZENSHIP: (TI) Citizenship is based upon Title 8 of U.S. Code 1401 - 1409, dated 1986.
                        BY BIRTH: Child born within the territory of the United States, regardless of the nationality of the parents.
                        BY DESCENT:
                        - Child born abroad, both of whose parents are citizens, and one of whom resided in the United States before the birth of the child.
                        - Child born abroad, one of whose parents is a citizen of the United States, who had resided in the United States for at least five years before the birth of the child.
                        BY NATURALIZATION: United States citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
                        - Person has resided in the United States for at least five years as a lawful permanent resident, is able to speak, read and write English, is of good moral character, is familiar with the history and culture of the country and has renounced former citizenship. Foreign nationals who marry citizens of the United States need only reside for three years, but must still fulfill the other conditions.
                        OTHER: Certain provisions for the granting of citizenship have been extended to persons who have performed specific military service to this country. For more information, call U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
                        DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED.
                        Exception: U.S. Immigration policy is best described as "Don't recognize, don't encourage, BUT DON'T PURSUE." Exceptions to this policy include:
                        Person who is not able to renounce former citizenship will not be required to officially renounce it.
                        Foreign child born in the U.S., who also obtains the citizenship of the parent's country is still allowed to hold U.S. citizenship.
                        LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:
                        VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of United States citizenship is permitted by law. However, renunciation can only be done at a U.S. Consulate outside the United States.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of United States citizenship:
                        • Person commits treason against the United States.
                        • Person voluntarily acquires foreign citizenship.
                        • Person takes an oath of allegiance to a foreign state.
                        • Person joins the armed forces of a country at war with the U.S.
                        ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship policy of the U.S. or its territories should be sent to the address below:
                        U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service
                        425 I St., NW RM 7122
                        Washington, DC 20536
                        Telephone: 202-514-5014
                        Fax: 202-514-0198

General Information on Dual Nationality

PROBLEMS WITH DUAL CITIZENSHIP:
                        Dual nationality is not desirable to many countries because a dual national is sometimes placed in a situation where his or her obligation to one country is in conflict with the laws of the other. The problem of conflicting military obligations is just one example. In addition, a person's dual nationality may hamper efforts to provide diplomatic and consular protection when the person is abroad.
                        The vast majority of countries do not recognize dual citizenship.
                        HOW DUAL NATIONALITY IS ACQUIRED:
                        1. Dual Citizenship by Birth: A child born abroad to U.S. citizens may acquire not only American citizenship but also the nationality of the country in which the child was born (Jus Solis). Similarly, a child born in the United States to foreigners may acquire both U.S. citizenship (Jus Solis) and the parents' nationality (Jus Sanguinis).
                        2. Dual Nationality by Marriage: Dual nationality can occur when a foreign citizen automatically acquires the spouse's nationality upon marriage. Most countries provide that citizenship will be lost upon the "voluntary" acquisition of another citizenship. In this case, the spouse did not voluntarily acquire the foreign citizenship, therefore, the original nationality is not lost.
                        3. Dual Nationality by Naturalization: A country may allow nationals who obtain foreign nationality to retain their original citizenship. Also, the country from which the person is obtaining citizenship may not require the person to renounce the former nationality.
                        4. Dual Nationality by Treaty: Some countries have agreements or treaties on dual nationality with only certain countries.
                        5. Dual Nationality by Default: A person naturalized without the approval of the country of origin is considered by that country to still retain the original nationality. Or, if the country is not notified that another citizenship has been acquired, it is possible for both nationalities to be maintained. See How to Read a Country Entry.
                        METHODS TO REDUCE DUAL CITIZENSHIP
                        1. Majority Divestiture: This option allows a person with dual citizenship, upon reaching the age of majority (i.e., age of legal adulthood), to decide which citizenship to keep. Many countries have this provision, either in the constitution or in the citizenship laws. This is also used in cases of dual nationality which arise due to adoption.
                        2. Generational Requirements: This consists of applying the principle of birth by descent (Jus Sanguinis), only to first or second generations of individuals born and residing abroad.
                        3. Registration: In countries where non-native children must be registered at the consular office shortly after birth, omitting the registration makes it impossible for child to acquire the citizenship of the birth country.
                        4. Delayed Conferment of Nationality: Certain persons, not born in the country of their parents, are given the right to acquire the nationality at a later period upon renunciation of their other nationality.
                        5. Diplomatic Restrictions: Children of foreign diplomatic representatives are prevented by law from acquiring the nationality of the country in which the parents are serving.
                        6. Restriction By Law: A country may forbid its nationals to become naturalized in a foreign state, except with its own permission. If permission is granted, the person concerned loses the former citizenship.
                        7. Administrative Option: A country may give conditional freedom of expatriation and automatically release from its allegiance persons who obtain naturalization in a foreign country.
                        Citizenship Laws of 206 Countries

This directory provides a synopsis of the citizenship laws for 206 countries. For information on a specific country, click on the country name in the Contents listing to the left.
                        This directory was prepared in 1994 by the Office of Personnel Management, Office of Federal Investigations. Some entries may be out of date, as citizenship laws are constantly in flux to keep in step with global political changes. The entry on Mexico has been updated to reflect Mexico's 1996 law allowing dual citizenship, and information known to be outdated has been deleted for several other countries. There are no current plans to update this document.
                        This directory provides an overview, not a detailed legal analysis. It is a quick reference document, not the final word. Complicated questions or requests for updated information should be directed to the country's diplomatic representatives, the Department of State, or Library of Congress, Foreign Law Division. See Sources of Current Authoritative Information.
                        It is not unusual to encounter differences between stated and actual practice in implementation of a country's citizenship laws. For example, a country's laws may provide for renunciation of its citizenship, but in reality there may be no means by which this option can be exercised or it may be unavailable to all but the influential. This may be a significant factor in assessing some foreign preference issues. When in doubt, consult Department of State.
                        How to Read a Country Entry

The information below may help you understand the country-specific information.
                        INFORMATION CODE: After the name of each country is a two or three letter code in parentheses. This describes the means by which the citizenship information was obtained. The codes are as follows:
                        (HCE) (HCS) (HCL) A hard copy of the citizenship laws was obtained from the embassy, the Department of State, or the Library of Congress. The entire law was reviewed, from which information was extracted.
                        (IPE) (IPS) (IPL) A questionnaire was completed by embassy, Department of State, or Library of Congress staff/representative. It is generally the most up-to-date source of information when an embassy responded thoroughly.
                        (TI) A telephone interview with a consular representative. It usually ensures the most up-to-date information.
                        STRUCTURE: Each country entry is divided into four parts, with care taken to ensure uniformity and consistency.
                        CITIZENSHIP
                        DUAL CITIZENSHIP
                        LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP
                        ADDRESS OF EMBASSY

CITIZENSHIP: This section lists the various methods by which a person may obtain the citizenship of a country.
                        1. Citizenship by Birth: Citizenship is granted due to birth within the country. The legal term for this is "Jus Solis." In most cases, there are few stipulations on citizenship being granted. Birth in the country automatically confers citizenship regardless of the parents' nationality or status.
                        In the case of U.S. citizens born abroad in a country under the principle of jus solis, the question arises as to whether this citizenship continues after the child has left the country
                        of birth. For definitive answers to questions such as these, it is best to contact the proper embassy or U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
                        2. Citizenship by Descent: Citizenship is passed on to the child based upon at least one of the parents being a citizen of the country, regardless of the child's actual country of birth. The legal term for this is "Jus Sanguinis."
                        Though most countries adhere to citizenship by descent, they differ on factors such as father's rights vs. mother's, citizenship of one or both parents, or the marital status of parents.
                        3. Citizenship by Naturalization: A process by which citizens of one country may acquire the citizenship of a foreign country. The rules for each country are different and citizenship is not guaranteed. Basic rules usually include a period of legal residency, renunciation of previous citizenship, and familiarity with the language and customs of the country.
                        4. Citizenship by Marriage: When a person marries someone from a foreign country in most cases, he/she is entitled to be naturalized without having to fulfill the majority of the requirements.
                        5. Citizenship by Registration: In this case, a person may acquire citizenship by registering without meeting the standard naturalization requirements. Usually these persons possess blood ties to the country either through relatives or marriage to a national of that country.
                        DUAL CITIZENSHIP: Dual citizenship is the simultaneous possession of two citizenships. It arises because there are no uniform rules of international law relating to citizenship. The most common reasons for dual nationality are:
                        Marriage to a foreign national.
                        Adoption of a child born abroad.
                        Conflict between a child born in a country which grants citizenship by birth to parents of a country where citizenship is granted by descent.
                        In the directory, the question of dual citizenship is answered either by RECOGNIZED or NOT RECOGNIZED. The Exception entry lists the basic exceptions to recognition or non-recognition of dual citizenship.
                        LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP: This category is divided into two parts:
                        1. Voluntary Loss of Citizenship: Most countries have laws which specify how a person may renounce citizenship. Precise information on renouncing foreign nationality may be obtained from the foreign country's embassy or consulate. In most cases, the person can do all the necessary paperwork through the embassy. However, in certain cases the person must return to the home country to complete the renunciation process.
                        There are some countries, however, where voluntary renunciation may be difficult or even dangerous. Persons will have to make a decision based upon their judgement of the risks. The Department of State may be of assistance concerning information, but is not a primary source for information.
                        2. Involuntary Loss of Citizenship: This entry lists the reasons a particular country may choose to involuntarily remove the citizenship of one of its nationals. Most countries provide for the loss of citizenship upon the voluntary acquisition of another citizenship.
                        There are differing rules, however, as to what constitutes "voluntary." In certain countries, it is not considered voluntary unless an explicit declaration is made by the person involved. For example, in Austria a person automatically obtains Austrian citizenship if he or she is appointed as a professor at an Austrian university. Some countries see this as an involuntary way of obtaining citizenship, and according to their laws, citizenship is not lost.
                        On the other hand, other countries state that if a citizen obtains another nationality, and makes no effort to renounce it, citizenship is lost.

Loss of naturalized citizenship usually occurs when the naturalized citizen:
                        • Resided for a specified time in another country.
                        • Obtained citizenship through fraud or false statements.
                        • Did not renounce previous citizenship.
                        It is important to note that even if the law states that citizenship is automatically removed; unless the government or embassy is informed, it will probably still retain that person's name on its citizenship records.
                        Sources of Current Authoritative Information
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

What about if you renounce a 'Green Card'?

Same thing?

Suppose for argument sake, Darryl Vaz is found to have a valid US passport and is made a full government Minister, will he have to renounce his US citizenship?

What then if he has to represent the Jamaican government on official business in the US?
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                            Citizenship Laws of the United States

CITIZENSHIP: (TI) Citizenship is based upon Title 8 of U.S. Code 1401 - 1409, dated 1986.
                            LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of United States citizenship:
                            • Person commits treason against the United States.
                            • Person voluntarily acquires foreign citizenship.
                            • Person takes an oath of allegiance to a foreign state.
                            • Person joins the armed forces of a country at war with the U.S.
                            ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship policy of the U.S. or its territories should be sent to the address below:
                            U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service
                            425 I St., NW RM 7122
                            Washington, DC 20536
                            Telephone: 202-514-5014
                            Fax: 202-514-0198
                            It certainly appears as if a MP or Senator or Minister of our Government swore allegiance to our state, JAMAICA...and, our laws and customs dictates it must occur...and, if our MP or our Senator or our Government Minister held US Citizenship then INVOLUNTARY LOSS of US Citizenship took place!

Now what would be the case if the MP lost his/her seat either through a 'final count' or in the Courts?
                            tek back di swearing of allegiance?

Comment

Edward Seaga renounce his American Citizenship

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                              What about if you renounce a 'Green Card'?

Same thing?

Suppose for argument sake, Darryl Vaz is found to have a valid US passport and is made a full government Minister, will he have to renounce his US citizenship?

What then if he has to represent the Jamaican government on official business in the US?

Seaga, was born in Boston, Ma and he officially gave up his American Citizenship in order to be 100% Jamaican. That was not considered an hostile act. The US won't hold it against Vaz if he does it for that purpose.
                              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X