• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoarse Abijah launches new album

Hoarse Abijah launches new album
    By Basil Walters Observer staff reporter waltersb@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, September 24, 2007

It was Abijah's moment to shine. But the reggae artiste was handicapped by one ailment that singers really dread - hoarseness.
    "I can't sing for you tonight," he whispered to guests at the launch of his new album - Moving 2 The Top - at Comfitanya Restaurant and Lounge in Kingston on Friday evening. "Over the weeks, I've been on tour, and I lost my voice. But I'll get it back tomorrow. I'm sorry about that."
    Singer Abijah arrives at Comfitanya Restaurant and Lounge in Kingston on Friday evening for the launch of his new album, Moving 2 The Top. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)
    He then invited Edna Manley School of Dance students Kimberly Hyman and Fabian Clarke to entertain on his behalf with a choreographic interpretation of his smash hit, Revelation.
    The students executed the piece with great precision and technical smoothness.
    Like both dancers, all of Abijah's musical colleagues who came out to give their support performed with distinction to overshadow his minor ailment.
    Among them were Keisha Patterson, who delivered a lively set inclusive of a fresh uptempo take on the vintage jazz standard Fever and What About Me from her upcoming album; veteran crooner Ernie Smith; and the exciting Dub Station reggae band from Boston, USA, with the dynamic vocalist/guitarist Tom O'Brien connecting with the audience.
    John Eitel, CEO of Call The Planet (CTP), an Internet phone company for which Abijah is the celebrity spokesman, endorsed Moving 2 The Top and explained why his company chose to have an association with Abijah.
    "We are very, very careful about steps that we take here, for we are serious about this market," said Eitel. "We took our time looking around to find the right person for the image for our company. And we thought that Abijah embodies what Jamaica is. very much like a Bob Marley, he loves his country, he loves his people and he has a wonderful message in his songs."

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X