Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Paul Ashley's Article - Stupid logic

Hi,

Dr. Paul Ashley states that the Constituion of Jamaica disqualifies all those that swear obedience to a foreign state from sitting in parliament and foreign states means include all countries other than Jamaica.

For simplicy, lets define a pure citizen as, a person who is citizen of only the country of his birth.

Now according to Paul's logic

1) A pure Jamaican Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    2) A pure Canadian Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    3) A pure Austrailian Canadian Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    4) Any other pure Commonewealth Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament

But , since it disqualifies all those commonwealth citizens that swear obedience to a foreign state and by Dr Ashley's logic that includes all countries other than Jamaica then;

1) If a pure Jamaican Citizen becomes a Canadian Citizen then he is disqualified

We therefore must conclude that using Dr Ashley's logic then

2) If a pure Canadian Citizen becomes an Australian Citizen then he is disqualified

If a laugh a dead
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Originally posted by Time View Post
    Hi,

Dr. Paul Ashley states that the Constituion of Jamaica disqualifies all those that swear obedience to a foreign state from sitting in parliament and foreign states means include all countries other than Jamaica.

For simplicy, lets define a pure citizen as, a person who is citizen of only the country of his birth.

Now according to Paul's logic

1) A pure Jamaican Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    2) A pure Canadian Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    3) A pure Austrailian Canadian Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament
    4) Any other pure Commonewealth Citizen can be a MP in Jamaica's parliament

But , since it disqualifies all those commonwealth citizens that swear obedience to a foreign state and by Dr Ashley's logic that includes all countries other than Jamaica then;

1) If a pure Jamaican Citizen becomes a Canadian Citizen then he is disqualified

We therefore must conclude that using Dr Ashley's logic then

2) If a pure Canadian Citizen becomes an Australian Citizen then he is disqualified

If a laugh a dead
    Are you laughing about how the constitution was written or are you laughing at the intepretations allowed by how it was written ?

Comment

I'm just happy that we now are beginning to realise that the Founding Fathers, whether American or Jamaican, were not infallible, and far from gospel writers.

Out of Many...barf!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        I'm just happy that we now are beginning to realise that the Founding Fathers, whether American or Jamaican, were not infallible, and far from gospel writers.

Out of Many...barf!
        Suh what yuh want 'white man' fi seh ?

Him numbahs small suh him haffi protect himself..

Comment

I am laughing at Paul's interpretation of a the phrase foreign power or state. I have a copy of the consitutution and it is clear to me that Chapter 2 partitons the world into only three pieces. These are The Commonwealth, Northern Ireland and Foreign Countries.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Do you laugh when you realise that as a citizen of the Commonwealth we still have to get visas to go to England and Canada?

Dont know if you still have a copy of the Jamaican passport but somewhere in it it says some thing about the holder being allowed access to all Commonwealth countries.

You can be born in the US and still sit in the Jamaican Parliament by the way...the Constitution says you dont have any control over where you are born.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
              Do you laugh when you realise that as a citizen of the Commonwealth we still have to get visas to go to England and Canada?

Dont know if you still have a copy of the Jamaican passport but somewhere in it it says some thing about the holder being allowed access to all Commonwealth countries.

You can be born in the US and still sit in the Jamaican Parliament by the way...the Constitution says you dont have any control over where you are born.
              ...but, does it say anything about your keeping that citizenship and then actively and deliberately swearing allegiance to the foreign power...e.g. swearing...making that pledge on obtaining and or renewing of passports or pledging allegiance on joining the security forces, 'draft card', voting, and or holding of some 'job' that demanded that swearing of allegiance/pledging that allegiance after the age when considered an adult?

Just wondering! ...as I stated I am not qualified to answer any such question on this matter...but, that does not stop me from 'wondering'!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

If you were born there then you don't have to 'swear', also if you got your passport as a child when a parent filed then you are exempt from what I hear...constitution is seeking to keep out persons who as adults, actively seek to become citizens of another country.
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

The founding fathers never dreamed that we would be so stupid to believe that foreign power or state includes members of the commonwealth.

Comment

The consistution is seeking to exclude those who as adults chose to become citizens of a non commonwealth country.

Comment

Working...
                    X