• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement joy

Retirement joy
    published: Monday | September 24, 2007

Dennie Quill, Contributor
    IF YOU are approaching age 50 and you are not a politician, you are likely to be thinking of retirement. Obviously, the concept of retirement means different things to different people. For some, it is an opportunity to shift gears from a regimented routine to a more relaxed way of life. Others make radical shifts from their lifelong professions to brand new activities.
    There is a television show called Radical Sabbatical, which I enjoy watching and it is not unusual to see Wall Street types hang up their silk ties and undertake a North Pole expedition to fulfil long-cherished ambitions. Here in Jamaica, we have seen many able persons take up religion or social service in their retirement and they continue to serve with distinction.

Examples abound of retired members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force and the Jamaica Defence Force who hang up their uniforms only to appear in service in commerce, the social sector or Government. The gavels of judges are silenced too when many of them appear quite capable of continuing to dispense justice. Frankly, with our overburdened court system, I believe a prudent administration would find ways of retaining such minds even with reduced caseload and less pay. For others, the choices in retirement include long walks, travel, gardening and other hobbies.

Senior citizen spelldown
    I was thoroughly entertained earlier this week when I attended a Spelling Bee competition in Kingston for senior citizens, organised by the Ministry of Labour and Social Service. It was simply fascinating to see these seniors matching wits in the final spelldown. The winner, Pauline Tulloch of St. Catherine, had an unblemished record, she never missed a beat. And when her namesake from St. Andrew was felled by the word 'guillotine', Mrs. Tulloch was crowned the Bee. The distinct English accent of Mrs. Tulloch and some of the other participants suggest that they are returning residents who now call Jamaica home. It was an enriching experience for the audience and for the participants it was a fun activity. The competition did not attract lots of spectators or media coverage, but here was an activity that challenged the negative stereotype of retirees being frail, forgetful and broken-down beings.

Life expectancy has been increasing and people are likely to live well into their 70s. Absent political largesse, for the rest of us any discussion about retirement inevitably comes around to funding of retirement. The matter is urgent in countries like ours where there is no Government-funded retirement solution. But it is the time of life when health issues are more likely to surface and with no retirement security, a significant amount of seniors are looking to remittance and handouts from their children to survive.

New class of haves
    An interesting development being overlooked these days is what I choose to call a manic obsession with investment. Many retirees tell me that they are earning more than they did when employed. How so? They unabashedly boast about their high-risk investments which are paying handsome tax-free dividends on a monthly basis. The idea of high-risk investments being viewed as a safety net is a phenomenon in this country and is only possible because there is really no Government provision for retirement.

With the dollar racing to an unknown destination and the attendant rise in the cost of living, a new class of haves is emerging in Jamaica as persons bravely continue to build their nest eggs. But no one knows if and when the bubble will burst.

N.B.: Some months ago I wrote about the inability of so many persons to access critical health care which lead to their making public appeal for help. A reader shared with me what she called "the best kept secret in Jamaica". This has to do with what is called a compassionate grant to assist persons to address medical problems. I am grateful to the reader who advised that this help can be received through an application to the chief medical officer of health with supporting documentation from the attending physician.

Dennie Quill is a veteran journalist who may be reached at denniequill@hotmail.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X