• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips promises to be vocal in Opposition

Phillips promises to be vocal in Opposition
    published: Monday | September 24, 2007

Earl Moxam, Senior Gleaner Writer

Phillips
    He may have lost his high-profile Cabinet position in the last government, but Dr. Peter Phillips, the former Minister of National Security, is serving notice that he will remain vocal on many of the issues that concern the Jamaican public.
    In confirmation of that resolve, Dr. Phillips has already issued an urgent call for the new Government not to abandon the centralised public [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]transportation[/COLOR][/COLOR] system which he introduced for the Corporate Area.
    While acknowledging that the state-operated Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) needed to cut its losses, he stressed that the country could not afford to return to the ramshackle "one man one bus" operation which preceded it.
    The centralised [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]bus [COLOR=orange! important]service[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] was important, "not only in economic terms, but in social terms, as well", he emphasised, in an interview with The Gleaner.
    The new administration will have to "develop the political will to ensure that the company survives," he said.
    Mike Henry, the new [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Transport[/COLOR][/COLOR] Minister, has said he would be taking steps to cut the company's losses and make it more financially viable.
    While not indicating which portfolio he will assume in the still-to-be-named Shadow Cabinet, Dr. Phillips gave strong indications that national security was still a matter of great interest to him.
    "It remains, to my mind, one of the most significant challenges that the country has to face and it is something that I would be prepared to make a contribution to."
    He reiterated, however, that he will not stick to the narrow confines of the defined portfolio, but instead will explore the many other social-policy issues which cover such matters as education, employment, urban renewal, and housing - all of which have an impact on crime control or the lack thereof.
    Dr. Phillips, a vice-president of the People's National Party, narrowly lost to Portia Simpson Miller in his bid to win the party's presidency last year.
    In the wake of the party's loss in the subsequent general election, he told The Gleaner that he had no plan to make another attempt at the party leadership at this time. Instead, he stressed the importance of party unity.
    The political scientist has not entirely ruled out that option in the longer term, however, responding with a cryptic "sufficient to the day", when pressed on the matter.
    In the meantime, Dr. Phillips has made clear his intention to remain relevant to the electorate and the membership of the party.
    A period in Opposition would not only permit time to "reflect and do research", he said, "but to express views more widely about issues".
    Prior to his tenures in the ministries of National Security and Transport and Works, Dr. Phillips served as Minister of Health.
    Reflecting on his time at the Health Ministry, he highlighted the Drugs for the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Elderly[/COLOR][/COLOR] Programme and the redevelopment of several major hospitals as among his major accomplishments there. He also praised John Junor, his successor at the Health Ministry, for the establishment of the National Health Fund, an initiative which he said grew out of his earlier exploration of the possibility of setting up a national [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]health-insurance[/COLOR][/COLOR] scheme.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

him fulla ideas now...good!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

When did he say he was full of ideas?

He said he was now able to do some research into some of our social issues.

He is standing firm beside the need for a public transportation system and I am with him on that. We cannot go back to those days where people became hooligans just to get to move about the country.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        When did he say he was full of ideas?

He said he was now able to do some research into some of our social issues.

He is standing firm beside the need for a public transportation system and I am with him on that. We cannot go back to those days where people became hooligans just to get to move about the country.
        The minister didn't say he was going to abandon the JUTC, but take steps to make it more profitable.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sorry if I implied that. I know he didn't say that. Just watching and waiting to see what changes the minister will make. Yes, I'm sure the JUTC can cut costs, but most public transit systems have to be subsidised. We may need to continue that while cutting costs.

Air Jamaica now...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

being minister prevented him from doing this even though it would seem that kind of research might have been helpful to him considering his portfolio...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So in other words him did run out of ideas while in office.

Well his cabinet should have cut the loss of JUTC, only now the JLP in office him see the need? If they had accomplished half of what he is talking about Bruce Golding would have to go back to NDM.

I sincerly hope him can come up with some of the solutions and we need him to be vocal in opposition but he is simply saying he FAILED.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

is this a question?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

MO 1.2 billion a year drain is too much , that can give us free education and have a little change left.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    So in other words him did run out of ideas while in office.
                    How does one imply the other? Lost me there, sass, but I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Well his cabinet should have cut the loss of JUTC, only now the JLP in office him see the need? If they had accomplished half of what he is talking about Bruce Golding would have to go back to NDM.
                    What nonsense, sass?! The govt. and the JUTC have always "seen the need" to cut costs in the system and have tried various things to that end. Because they haven't worked fully means that they did nothing about it? Be careful how yuh talk because it will take a miracle for any govt. to cut those costs!

I sincerly hope him can come up with some of the solutions and we need him to be vocal in opposition but he is simply saying he FAILED.
                    Your take on the matter.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What are you talking about? Air J or JUTC?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

JUTC. A dat mi read inna the paper yesterday.

Comment

If it takes a billion dollars a year to run the JUTC and that is after everything is tried to make it a trimmer outfit, then that is what we will have to find to run it. We cannot go back to the "system" we had in place before.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"seen the need" the problem was they didn't take steps to address it. While I support a bus system it can't continue bleeding the budget that way.

Well the fact is he needs new ideas and therefore there is the need for researching, He didn't stop the murder rate from growing. I think Phillips is a decent minister but in some cases the results he got were marginal not great, you can put that down to the environment that he is working in, but is that good enough, no not for me.

Comment

Well then we need more economic growth fi support it and free education then?

Comment

Working...
                              X