Exodus! - People's National Party (PNP) officials vacate St

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus! - People's National Party (PNP) officials vacate St

Exodus! - People's National Party (PNP) officials vacate State-owned homes; hand over SUVs
    published: Friday | September 21, 2007

Tyrone Reid, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Enterprise[/COLOR][/COLOR] Reporter

'To the best of my knowledge, ministers and state ministers, who occupied state residences would have already moved out or would have been well down the wicket in that regard' - PICKERSGILL
    After nearly two decades of political supremacy, former Cabinet ministers, junior ministers, advisers and other 'genetically' connected officials of the People's National Party (PNP) have almost completed a mass exodus from Government into the political wilderness where there are no perks.
    Executive offices at the various ministries have been swabbed clean and the new ministers have since taken up residence. Meanwhile, many officials, who occupied State-owned houses, have already vacated the premises to make room for members of the new administration, while others are making the final arrangements to do the same. Not only do many of them have to return the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]sports [COLOR=orange! important]utility [/COLOR][COLOR=orange! important]vehicles[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] (SUVs) and other posh cars assigned to them, the former ministers must also hand in the Advance cards with which they purchased petrol, some of which had tabs of up to $33,000 a month.
    Protocol
    In keeping with protocol, all government boards are expected to resign en bloc. However, as the mass movement continues, a high-ranking source in the PNP lamented that there needs to be a code of conduct that governs this transition of power to avoid unnecessary embarrassments.
    "There have been embarrassments in the past for both political parties people coming and rushing you to move out and sending for motor vehicle keys. (Imagine a) man come to you and say 'hand over the keys', like you are some criminal," the source revealed.
    "You should not leave like any thief in the night. You should be given two weeks to a month to leave," the source suggested.
    Necessary arrangements
    The impeccable source reasoned that this time is needed to allow public officials to make the necessary arrangements to demit office and return the relevant perks. "I know for a fact that some ministers did not buy (other vehicles), they depended on what was provided."
    However, Robert Pickersgill, chairman of the PNP, told The Gleaner that the exodus was almost complete. "To the best of my knowledge, ministers and state ministers, who occupied state residences would have already moved out or would have been well down the wicket in that regard."
    He added: "Speaking for myself, I have already moved out and returned the keys to the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]SUV[/COLOR][/COLOR] in tip-top shape. I am sufficiently proud not to have anybody ask me to move (out)."
    The former Minister of Housing, Water, [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Transport[/COLOR][/COLOR] and Works revealed that while he did not vacate his office before the elections, he did so in time to accommodate the new Minister.
    Harry Douglas, former State Minister in the Ministry of Local Government and Environment, told The Gleaner yesterday that he exited his office two weeks before the election. Mr. Douglas made it clear that he did not occupy a State-owned house, because he was forewarned about the hassles and inconveniences that could come. "I did not live in a [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]government [COLOR=orange! important]house[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] because there are no guarantees," he explained.
    In addition, Mr. Douglas also pointed out that he has returned the keys to the SUV he was assigned during his tenure as Junior Minister under the Portia Simpson-Miller led administration.
    Public officials can seek to purchase the vehicles or houses that they occupied. While, it was not ascertained how many of the officials will be going this route, Mr. Douglas made it clear that he is not among them. "I turned that (vehicle) in a couple days after the election, I did not want any arguments so I returned the vehicle," he explained.
    Robert Bryan, former chairman of the scandal-plagued National Solid Waste Management Authority told our news team that he tendered his resignation earlier this week by way of a letter to Prime Minister Bruce Golding. He also said that the other board members were expected to do the same, as that was the consensus at the last board meeting.
    At the same time, Penelope Goldsmith, Company Secretary at the Fiscal Services Limited (FSL), pointed out that members of FSL's board have written and signed their resignation letters. However, she was unable to say if the letters have reached the hands of the Minister, who has portfolio responsibility for the government-owned information technology company.
    Some of the organisations whose boards should have resigned by now

Air Jamaica
    Universal Access Fund
    CHASE Fund
    Jamaica Tourist Board
    Bank of Jamaica
    National Housing Development Corporation
    National Housing Trust
    Urban Development Corporation
    National Solid Waste Management Authority
    Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica
    Fiscal Services Limited
    Jamaica Trade and Invest (JAMPRO)
    HEART/NTA
    Port Authority of Jamaica
    National Health Fund
    National Irrigation Commission
    Planning Institute of Jamaica
    Coffee Industry Board Health Corporation of Jamaica

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

why yuh need 2 weeks to a month to leave? Once election date is set, start packing as the result could swing any way.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

$33,000 for gas. To Mobay and back everyday?

Comment

We need a better system...

What should happen is board memebers are appointed for only a specific term and once the tem is up then whoever governs appoints their person.

It's better to transition that way than just terminating everyone and start fresh again, u need some level continuance.

As for the housing that works fine, u live in it for your time and when tings change u move out immeadiatly. They all know and are aware who will win and who will lose. It's no tief in de night business cause u never own it in de first place.

Comment

Agree wid yuh.

At my company, anytime we hear bout massive layoffs, some folks start gathering them little personal stuff together, so that if the chips fall that way, man just grab him bundle and evacuate the scene.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

That would create big problems in a society where so many of those appointees are political activists and not just professionals with policies that are in line with the govt of the day.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not all boards need to be political. Having said that for sm companies need to reflect the culture of Govt. Certainly for others, true professionals should be appointed - or without be named - representative of _____. etc.

Comment

the people them a HEART can stay
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yo joking right?
                  Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                  Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

This may be a silly question but why are they given houses and SUV's in the first place?

Comment

Bet you say if it was the other way around Lazie would be asking for up to three months to move...his reasons would be that after living in one place for so long, it is not easy to jump up and move in two weeks time.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

why not? it come with the territary.
                        When people are appointed to political post they should expect to move if their party lose or if they are no longer needed.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                          Bet you say if it was the other way around Lazie would be asking for up to three months to move...his reasons would be that after living in one place for so long, it is not easy to jump up and move in two weeks time.

Alright Prophet Phinn.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Nobaddy will answer but you ask the most pertinent question!!

Comment

c'mon ssasin, be realistic..2 wks is adequate...mi sure di incumbent neva did a live a rd side
                              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X