Transport Minister signals major changes to Air J and JUTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport Minister signals major changes to Air J and JUTC

Transport Minister Mike Henry has signalled that major changes are coming to Air Jamaica and the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) which have for years been a drain on the country's coffers.

Speaking with RJR News, Mr. Henry said it will not be business as usual at the two entities.

As it concerns, the national airline, the Transport Minister says he will be taking a second look at the controversial sale of the London route.

He hinted that there will also be changes to Air Jamaica's operational structure.

"As the Prime Minister has asked them to put some things on hold until we have had a look at what they are doing with the present situation. As you know I have need to know what is the real position with regards to the sale of the London slots which has devalued Jamaica's marketability," said Mr. Henry.

"I am going to look at that closely and then move to the immediate models put forward by the Prime Minister because we have to look at how Air Jamaica can reduce its strain on the Budget,"

He says a new Board for the airline will be appointed soon.

Regarding the JUTC, Mr. Henry says the state-run bus company cannot be allowed to continue racking up huge financial losses.

"I think one needs to look at that and see how one can put in place proper approaches. A board that can really put in place measures to drive the savings that are required by better planning, better administration,"

And Mr. Henry who also holds the Works Portfolio has issued a strong warning to non-performing road contractors that shoddy work will no longer be tolerated.

Mr. Henry told RJR News that he will be turning the spotlight on one road repair company which has been cited for failing to fulfil the requirements of a contract.

"We will also be looking at non-performing companies in terms of contracts for roadwork, etc. there is one that I am very concerned about where 60 per cent of the time is gone on the contract but only 25 to 30 per cent of the work is done. So one would need explanation of these and see how we can move them in the roght direction and analyse any other areas of slippage that relates to performance that one has to address," he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X