RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PJ's consultants (check these 3 letters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PJ's consultants (check these 3 letters)

published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

The Editor, Sir:
    Your Sunday report on the cost of Mr. Golding's Cabinet is welcome, but incomplete. It compares the Patterson Cabinet of 17 with the present Cabinet of 18 and the relevant costs - $61.47 million (2003-2004) as against today's $65.59 million. However, there is a serious omission. You forgot to remind your readers that in addition to his 17-man Cabinet, Mr. Patterson's administration also had 144 consultants costing $326 million per annum. At Jamaica House alone, there were 18 with a total salary of more than $33 million annually.
    If Mr. Golding replaces semi-visible consultants with ministers who can be seen and held accountable, that should be an improvement in governance and administrative transparency, not to mention the considerable saving in public expenditure. Of course, we do not know what will happen in the future and I quite understand the anxiety that attends the sudden change after 18 years of a certain style; but it is "early days" yet, and rushing to judgement even before the new Cabinet has had a chance to meet is, in a phrase, "too previous".
    I am, etc.,
    KEN JONES alllerdyce@hotmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Singing a different tune

published: Wednesday | September 19, 2007

The Editor, Sir:
    In Ken Jones' letter on your front page today (Tuesday), he effectively defended the 18-member new cabinet - one of the largest Cabinets in our political history. Honestly, I can't believe this is the same man who has been writing criticising the Cabinet of the former government as being too large.
    The following quotation is taken from an article written in The Gleaner by Ken Jones on Friday, November 29, 2002. "Do we need so many ministers and junior ministers to formulate policies and a programme already laid down in printed manifesto? In short, are they providing value for money or just jobs for the boys? We probably need only half of those we are now hiring to administer our public affairs; and we should quickly downsize, before they begin to ask for severance pay".
    That was Ken Jones' view then. Now he sings a different tune. Same country, but different political party in charge. Now I know that I must treat his writings as plain partisan political diatribe, not to be treated seriously. This country is suffering from having too many men who love to say one thing and do something different. I warn my friends against such two-timers. They must not be trusted.
    I am, etc.,
    LAMBERT BROWN llabpoyh@yahoo.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

More on oversized Cabinets

published: Thursday | September 20, 2007

The Editor, Sir:
      Mr. Lambert Brown can read but he appears to be having difficulty understanding what he reads. Nor does he seem able to discuss issues without resorting to vile insinuations, impertinence and irrelevancies.
      He tells the truth when he says that I have always inveighed against oversized Cabinets, but he prevaricates by saying that I am expressing support for Mr. Golding's 18-person executive.
      My letter sought only to remind the public that in addition to Mr. Patterson's 17, there were 18 consultants at Jamaica House; and I added that if Mr. Golding avoided these costly consultants it would be an improvement in governance and the cost of it.
      Nowhere, absolutely nowhere in my correspondence, did I seek to justify or support the size of the present Cabinet. What I wrote in 2002, which is correctly cited by Mr. Brown, were questions: "Do we need so many ministers and junior ministers?" "Are they providing value for money or just jobs for the boys?" I still have those questions in mind when I look at Mr. Golding's Cabinet members, but I am not so foolish as to rush to judgement within 24 hours of their appointment.
      Should the intemperate Mr. Brown slowly review my letter, syllable by syllable, he might on the third reading get it right and see that his accusations are totally false; but then again, there's none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
      Also, if he can take time from his present role as a proselyte of the PNP, he might recall that just last year February he told a JLP Area One council meeting held at Shortwood Teachers' College, "Like the majority of Jamaicans, I am tired of a government that has grown tired". One is left to wonder what the followers of this weary leader of the University and Allied Workers Union may be thinking about the stability of his political posture.
      I am, etc.,
      KEN JONES alllerdyce@hotmail.com

Comment

no mention of the consultants? hmmm

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

was lambert brown a consultant? anyone knows?

gi di guvvament at least 100 days nuh? den we can see if they have achieved anything.... ah bwoy.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lazie...at last! Giving both sides of a story...good posts. Don't kno wth e history or background of the letter writers...but Jones could have done better without the insults and character assasination....is this typical of JLP apologists and supporters?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              Lazie...at last! Giving both sides of a story...good posts. Don't kno wth e history or background of the letter writers...but Jones could have done better without the insults and character assasination....is this typical of JLP apologists and supporters?
              ... lets see ... I defend what is right .. the klan simply defend the other side. Anyone that have a problem with that .... well.

Suh, Ken Jones is scolded as if Lambert Brown is innocent in all this? Re-read and see who threw the first insult.

Comment

Without reading the rest of the responses in this thread let me just state that this letter is idiotic. How can we compare apples to oranges? (They actually can be compared, but that's for another time.) The JLP has not yet employed its consultants which it most definitely will have.

Waste of time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  ... lets see ... I defend what is right ..

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did you see "at last!" in the sentence? Don't go patting yourself on the back...this is the once in a blue moon ocasion...hope the 'trend' continues.

Comment

It is more than insults being hurdled by those in the media that want to align themselves with powerful politicians from specific parties. Large government isn't only costly, there is always a question of cronyism.
                      Why having more ministers doesn't equate to having more consultants?
                      Ken needs to bury his head in some hole for a few days.

Blessed

Blessed

Comment

innerestin'.....

Comment

Mi wonder if I can get one a dem jobs and get a free benz wid Jamaica gov't plates fi profile round the country.
                          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                          X