• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce's political own-goal

Bruce's political own-goal
    published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

Vernon Daley

Bruce Golding has attempted to put the ball through the nation's legs but I'm afraid he has only succeeded in scoring a political own-goal.

Last week, the Prime Minister sought to defend his decision to appoint an 18-member Cabinet after some persons raised concerns about the size of the executive. In responding to the issue, this is what Golding said during the ceremony to swear in the ministers: "If you look at Guyana, which has a much smaller population than we do, Guyana has 23 members of its Cabinet. In the case of Trinidad, (there are) 24 members in the Cabinet and it would have been good, it would have been politically correct to try to look at the number that would satisfy the concerns of big government. An 18-member Cabinet does not necessarily signify big govern-ment."

That, perhaps, would have been a good response if the criticisms were about size and nothing more. However, the core of the issue is not size per se but the commitment of the Prime Minister to follow through on his word.

Just before he was sworn in as Prime Minister, Golding left the very clear impression that he would not be venturing the way of a big Cabinet but would instead focus on putting a lean team together to steer Government.
    In fact, he was quoted in a Sunday Gleaner story on September 9 as saying:
    Areas of focus
    "The Cabinet has to be moderate in size. One thing you will appreciate is that the Constitution prescribes a minimum. The Constitution says that the Cabinet shall consist of the Prime Minister and not less than 11 ministers.

"There are particular areas of focus and emphasis that Jamaica has to countenance. The present Cabinet is 14. We intend to be disciplined. It's part of what will be consuming my attention over the weekend".

If Golding considers an 18-member Cabinet moderate in size, then I can't begin to contemplate his idea of an extravagant Cabinet. In comparing Cabinets here over the years, this one ranks among the more bloated of the lot.

The Prime Minister cannot escape the criticism that he has said one thing and done quite the opposite. This is not a good sign.

What we have to applaud is not what people say but what they do. Since election night, Golding has said all the right things. His victory speech was excellent, his inauguration speech was brilliant, and all the rest of his public pronouncements have been just what the doctor ordered for a nation fractured by political discord. However, it is in his first real action that he has fallen down.

The Trinidad election
    So soon as one election is over, another one is on the horizon. The people of Trinidad and Tobago are set to go to the polls in weeks, possibly by the end of next month. Last week, President George Maxwell Richards issued an election writ to the Elections and Boundaries Commission declaring September 18-27 as the period for electoral registration.

As I wrote in this column earlier this year, the split in the traditional Indian vote between the two opposition parties will clear a path for the Patrick Manning-led People's National Movement to hold onto state power. I see no reason to change that prediction.

The Opposition United National Congress went into destruction mode after the last election and has since struggled to regain its footing following bitter leadership squabbles. The mess led to political leader Winston Dookeran walking away to form his own party - the Congress of the People.

Surely, these two parties must see they are staring down the dark barrel of electoral defeat. Is it too late for a political rapprochement?

Vernon Daley is a journalist. Send comments to vernon.daley@gmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

"The Prime Minister cannot escape the criticism that he has said one thing and done quite the opposite. This is not a good sign."

This breddah must be a dutty Comrade, how him fi come tell so much lie pon Uncle Bruce? Bout the man a flip flop....let it go comrade let it go...unnu done lose already.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      "The Prime Minister cannot escape the criticism that he has said one thing and done quite the opposite. This is not a good sign."

This breddah must be a dutty Comrade, how him fi come tell so much lie pon Uncle Bruce? Bout the man a flip flop....let it go comrade let it go...unnu done lose already.
      Karl is correck about one thing. We the people tun pallitishans into idiots, by creating political heat even when dem right.

Parliament is SUPREME and is the boss of Cabinet...not the other way around. Do you show the next door neighbour your report card before you show your parents????

And yes, this sort of thing is done to BOTH parties, sometimes deservedly, sometimes not. Such is life.

Comment

Well In the debate Bruce said Joshua
        flip flopped so why can't he. This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Wait till JA go an record to be the first country to declare bankruptcy

Comment

I could just imagine what you would have
          said if the PNP made it a manifesto to shortened their cabinet and did the opposite. It would not sit nicely with you, but I guess you are also not biased to any one party also.

Comment

nice to see you can laugh in the face of a trillion dollar debt.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

See, that is the point, which Bruce (and Lazie and others) missed. It's not so much the size of the cabinet but the broken promise and hypocrisy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                See, that is the point, which Bruce (and Lazie and others) missed. It's not so much the size of the cabinet but the broken promise and hypocrisy.
                This argument of broken promise is as comical as the comics that insist on singing it. Steps in strategic management are
                1. People
                2. Strategy
                3. Implementation
                4. Evaluation
                5. Change.
                What the hell is wrong with changing? Broken promises would be if they didn't implement the tutition free commitment this school term. The reality is all a unuh was expecting them to break that commitment and were ready to attack, but because that didn't happen unuh a get upset about the size of the cabinet? Unuh need fi get serious.

The new gov't has alot of work to do and the PM sees the need to implement an 18 man cabinet. Wait until dem fail nuh? The man dem aim to implement policies so the economy can grow at MUCH higher rate ... what if it works?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Love the good things he does and hate the bad!
                  Bruce is guilty!!

I remember once I was speaking highly of a former ST.GC player, and a(indeed special) poster mistook my star player for another he did not think highly of, and as usual he voiced his opinion. I snapped.DE poster neva even pay mi nuh mind.Looking back, I regret my response, however tame...., and he never held it against me, Big up Courtney for being the bigger man.

Blessed

Comment

Lazie, for me, it's not the biggest thing. But Bruce clearly doesn't understand what he did when he promised free tuition and refunding parents. He was reckless in his action.

Anyway, these are all small matters for me. I shall remain vigilant for the bigger issues.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this how yuh treat SMALL matters? mi mumma!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

And how am I treating them? Yuh see mi set up nuh roadblock?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sarry i figget that you had that in you too....mah bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Lazie, for me, it's not the biggest thing. But Bruce clearly doesn't understand what he did when he promised free tuition and refunding parents. He was reckless in his action.

Anyway, these are all small matters for me. I shall remain vigilant for the bigger issues.
                            By all means be vigilant on bigger issues. One of these days when unuh stop the useless bickering about Webhy's transparent and ABOVE THE BOARD appointment, please explain to us how his action was reckless.

I can recall a prophet predicting chaos on the first day of school. When school a open mek mi know.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, one of these fine days, take a trip to Jamaica (NO<, NOT VIA YOUR INTERNET!) and go to a school, any school.

The government is yet to make payments to anyone and some are now in arrears because of this. The evidence of that will hit you in the face (and in the nostrils).

They were reckless!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X