X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could you, Mr Peralto?

How could you, Mr Peralto?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) may very well have a point in law supporting its position to block the counting now of two ballot boxes in the South East St Mary constituency.

But even while we understand the suspicion that would have accompanied news of the existence of these two boxes, especially because the information emanated from the JLP's political opponents, the fact is that the Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) has come forward and accepted responsibility for the error.
    In fact, not only did the EOJ admit that it erred, the office has apologised. This, we believe, should provide Mr Tarn Peralto, the JLP candidate affected by the problem, and his lawyers, with enough comfort and confidence to support the counting of the votes in the boxes.

According to the EOJ, the boxes, which contain votes cast by election day workers and members of the security forces, were returned, among 282 boxes, to its 43 Duke Street office on August 28, the day both sets of people voted.
    "The two boxes in question," the EOJ said, "arrived without the keys to open them and while waiting for a tool to cut the locks we proceeded to count other boxes. We did not complete counting the remaining boxes until after 2:00 am and inadvertently stored these uncounted boxes with the counted boxes."

The EOJ was at pains to point out that two members each of the People's National Party and the JLP observed the receiving, opening, sorting and counting of all ballots from election day workers, police and soldiers, and that before the early morning end of the count, they were "all of the view that all boxes were opened, sorted and counted".

We have no reason to doubt the explanation advanced by the EOJ as to why the boxes were not counted. And given the EOJ's demonstrated commitment to ensuring the integrity of the electoral process over the past 20 years, we don't believe that it would do anything to tarnish the reputation for fairness that it has worked so hard to achieve.

By obtaining a court injunction blocking the counting of the ballots in the two boxes, Mr Peralto and his lawyers are painting an unkind image of the JLP in relation to the party's respect for the electoral process.

For the suggestion is that Mr Peralto is more concerned about his personal fortunes than about the democratic process and the integrity of the election machinery.

Unless he knows something that the rest of us don't, Mr Peralto might still find that he enjoys the majority of the votes in these two ill-fated boxes. We are left to wonder what does he really fear?

That aside, one possible way of amicably resolving the matter is by accommodating a recasting of the ballots by election day workers and members of the security forces in that constituency.
    The court will no doubt treat this matter with the urgency it deserves, and we expect that its ruling will be respected by both parties.

Whatever the decision, it is important that the outcome of the vote reflects the will of the majority.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

So I guess OBSERVER is now OBJECTIVE?????

Cant have it both ways Sickko!!!

I personally agree with them, IFF the chain of custody is verified.

I also understand the position of Peralto. Is Douglas people them discovere the error, so he is naturally skeptical. Bird in the hand and all that...

Also, why should the JLP be denied their obfuscation, what with the PNP insisting on trying to unseat elected opponents thru the courts system based on craftily applied technicalities?? What good for the goose...

At the end of the day, I hope that NATURAL justice prevails. I hope that all legal votes are counted and that all elected members are allowed to serve accordinf to the expressed will of the people (even if it means reruns and renunciations).

Comment

willi that is a very important point.....pnp has been using gamesmanship throughout this particular issue...they made the decision not to do anything about it until after the election, a strategic move on their part to serve their purpose, but well within their rights to do.

so now peralto exercises something that is within his rights and foul?

pnp is very good at applying the old maxim of best defence.....keeps the spotlight off them. and then they back it up with "but 2 wrongs don't make a right".

if the government is not careful, the "distraction" tactic will cause them to lose sight of what they have to do. it's seedy but i am yet to see an ackee tree bear breadfruit.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not sure if I stated it here before or elsewhere but NOT EVERYONE at the Observer is a labourite or not every one cant see anything but green.

I do know for a fact that a few of the senior people who write Editorials are not labourites and are objective people as well.

Once again..freedom of the press belongs to those who own one...
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Even Hitler must have been someone's favourite uncle.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This was an editorial, I assume you realize that.

Comment

Gleaner editorial rips into Portia....

EDITORIAL - Move beyond the politics of destabilisation
              published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

Sunday's speech by the President of the People's National Party (PNP), Mrs. Portia Simpson Miller, at the PNP party conference struck a bellicose note, spurning the olive branch held out by Prime Minister B uce Golding.

Even when points of significance were being made, the tone was warlike. Jamaica needs a strong and viable Opposition. But responsible criticism can never be confused with the kind of demagogy displayed on Sunday. It was an outrageous performance with alarming implications for Jamaica and the PNP.

Mrs. Simpson Miller is not the first Jamaican Prime Minister to suffer defeat at the polls and is unlikely to be the last. Some claim, in her defence, that one should make allowance for the heady atmosphere prevailing in a party rally. If it was a matter of isolated incidents, such an excuse could perhaps be countenanced.

But, on more than one occasion, the Simpson Miller-led PNP has taken positions which have had destabilising effects on the Jamaican society.

There was the manner of the declaration of the state of emergency in the aftermath of Hurricane Dean.

Then there were the botched attempts to postpone the general election beyond the date recommended by the Electoral Commission.

On September 3, immediately after her loss, Mrs. Simpson Miller rather than conceding as is the norm, behaved in a truculent manner, sulking in front of the cameras. A clear pattern is emerging which the PNP and Jamaica will have to address.

The contrast of the narrowly partisan PNP position with the statesman-like posture of our new Prime Minister could not be starker. Mr. Golding is reaching out to all Jamaicans, irrespective of their political loyalties, and inviting them to join him in a new project of good governance. This is not only good for Jamaica, it is also good politics.

He must continue to go for the moderate middle ground without whose support no political party is viable in Jamaica. We urge the Prime Minister to redouble his efforts on this course and not to respond in kind to hysterical noises offstage. This was the same moderate strategy adopted by the late Michael Manley after his landslide loss in 1980 and which brought him back to power in 1989. Extremism must be isolated.

Instead of heeding the lessons of the past, the PNP seems bent on repeating history. In the past, saner counsel has managed to pull them back from the brink. The country expects responsible persons in the PNP to take a firm stand against a politics of destruction which puts Jamaica last. It is sad to see this distortion of the ideals of a major Jamaican political institution. Norman Manley must be turning in his grave.

Regrettably, Mrs Simpson Miller and some closest to her are behaving as if Jamaica belongs to their party exclusively. It does not. Every general election, no matter how lopsided the seat count or how wide the popular vote, has always indicated significant support for the losing party. The statements from the PNP's leadership, to date do not suggest that they recognise significant dissatisfaction with its performance to cause its political opponents to make deep inroads in the past two general elections in areas where it once held overwhelming majorities. We suggest, respectfully, that the party leader and her close associates allow themselves some time to rest, in which they can clear their heads and then assume their role in Parliament with greater responsibility than they seem inclined to do at present.

Last edited by Karl; September 18, 2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Twas that bad, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  So I guess OBSERVER is now OBJECTIVE?????

Cant have it both ways Sickko!!!

I personally agree with them, IFF the chain of custody is verified.

I also understand the position of Peralto. Is Douglas people them discovere the error, so he is naturally skeptical. Bird in the hand and all that...

Also, why should the JLP be denied their obfuscation, what with the PNP insisting on trying to unseat elected opponents thru the courts system based on craftily applied technicalities?? What good for the goose...

At the end of the day, I hope that NATURAL justice prevails. I hope that all legal votes are counted and that all elected members are allowed to serve accordinf to the expressed will of the people (even if it means reruns and renunciations).
                  I do not think the re-casting of votes suggested by the Observer would be a possibility. I amy be wrong...but, having a little 'mini-election' looks like a laughing matter...may just be the Observer 'forming the fool'?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The Gleaner needs to give it up!

The State of Emergency was necessary. The proof of the pudding is in that eating!

The calling of the Elections so soon after the hurricane is proving even up until now that persons where disenfranchised. The PM made a mistake to accept the EOJ offer/recommendation. Perhaps, the PNP would ahve lost more seats...but, it would have been better for our democracy.

The tone of voice of the PM on the night after it was clear the JLP had won was unfortunate even as she was correct in her not conceding immediately.

Her words at the PNP conference were to fire up her troops. She did that!

The Gleaner's continued war on Portia is a nonsense position/silly throwing of tantrum!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Agreed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No it's not a Tantrum it's being
                        true to the cause. When a slave had the courage to rebel and leave the plantation, when caught was done? Public humiliation to set an example (most times the other slave would mock and jeer). This is now the 21st century; hence the means of high tech but the goal is the same.

BTW what was the medium to anounce to the masters that a slave ran away (let's just go to 1834) Karl yuh haffi wake up, shake off sleep and slumber.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          I do not think the re-casting of votes suggested by the Observer would be a possibility. I amy be wrong...but, having a little 'mini-election' looks like a laughing matter...may just be the Observer 'forming the fool'?
                          I was talking about by-election.

Comment

Working...
                          X