'Remove Wehby, Grace conflict'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what guarantee will be acceptable?

omar left us with a trillion dollar debt and THIS is main topic of discussion?!! mi god!!!

krill or tuna? if yuh get enough krill it might provide the nutrients of one small tuna!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Cult!
      Betta cult dan MONROE (luvup dat spelling). LoL

Comment

Is this the financial wizard we've been waiting for? What guarantee is there that he will take us to the promised land?
        All yuh need is some MILK and RUM to get to the promised land, and probably a bakkle of honey on the side
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

That's in NY. Don't know about it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the word is "battle"! ask pepsi.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem if he resigns and gets a special salary from the govt. Maybe not as much as what GK would pay him, but pump it up to some decenter amount. I know some might have a problem with this.

Yes, it sets a bad precedent and might open up a big old can of worms.

Don't mind me, just thinking out loud.
              Mosiah, I for one would disagree with him getting any special salary and furthermore, the PNP and all their sympathizers would all have an issue with it.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

At this point, it seems like he has resigned but will still get his salary from GK. That might be the problem.
                This is rather boring.

All Grace has to do is arrange a lump sum payment that is disbursed over time...

Net effect.. same thing.

The Govt cannot afford Don Webby.. face facts suh Grace haffi pay him one way or the other and dem can call it their contribution to Jamaica.

But unnuh have fun.. I just hope Bruce keep his eye on the target and does not allow himself to be affected by these weapons of mass distraction.

Comment

Seems like the conflict is not detachable. He should resign.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Resign from where ?

Comment

According to the Jamaica Gleaner, (not certain if unuh consider it an arm of the JLP),

However, chairman and chief executive officer of GraceKennedy, Douglas Orane, told The Gleaner in a recent interview that Wehby resigned last Thursday from the boards of the parent company and its subsidiaries.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

one of them. or both!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

one of them. or both!
                          I thought he has already resigned from Grace in keeping with the provisions of Ministry Paper No.19/2002, which sets out the conduct of ministers.

Is confused unnuh confused or what ?

Mek mi watch dis poppy show.. and people wonder why the country cannot move forward..

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                            'Remove Wehby, Grace conflict'
                            published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

WEHBY
                            President of the Jamaica Chamber Of Commerce, Mark Myers, wants the Government to remove the apparent conflict of interest as it relates to the Cabinet appointment of Don Wehby, a former executive of GraceKennedy Limited.

A difficult position

But, Omar Azan, president of the Jamaica Manufacturers Association has a different view on the matter.
                            "I look at it as GraceKennedy being a good corporate citizen and paying for part (of his salary)...,"he explained.

Mr. Azan said that he knows that Mr. Wehby is a man of integrity, but said there is a conflict of interest as he will be privy to information especially in the banking sector, which would be helpful to him if he were to go back to his company. "Knowing Don, I don't think he would use it. I don't think he is a man who would ruin his integrity for that," he said.
                            What a big joke!

Let's face facts - Don is assured of a job at GK after his stint as Government Minister is over. He is a GK man. GK is a great place to work. Hell I have not worked with/for GK since 1988...and, if I am called to do something on GK's behalf I would do it in a heartbeat...and, many in GK from the person who owns most of the shares in GK...to Directors to... persons in top management...to middle managers...to others know I would. It is hard not to continue being a GK man even after years of leaving GK. Damn good company!

Don is being paid by GK (Even if it is a part of his salary and or 'perks'). That falls right in with private sector entity funding - giving politicians 'gifts'. (Don becomes a JLP operative immediately if not before he accepted his appointment.)

Questions: Is it a good thing for private sector entities to be paying off employees of government and or government ministers - (additional salary and or 'perks' - people go to jail for that in many countries including the USA) - even if the entire government executive including the PM agrees to the paying off and does not hide that fact but declares it to all Jamaica and the World?

OK! OK! I have said it until you are 'sick of it' -
                            In Jamaica there is only one degree of separation
                            - so:

1. Does the risk of Don using state sensitive information outweigh the possible good he can do for the country?

2. Does this 'new precedent' of legalising "payola" - paying off politicians walking the corruption fineline...by-the-way from a government that promises to be tough on corruption, not to legalise or 'look the other way on corruption' while pushing it in our faces - hold terrible future consequencies for the country?

mi jus a hask!

Aside: I cracked up reading this -

Mr. Azan said that he knows that Mr. Wehby is a man of integrity, but said there is a conflict of interest as he will be privy to information especially in the banking sector, which would be helpful to him if he were to go back to his company.

"Knowing Don, I don't think he would use it. I don't think he is a man who would ruin his integrity for that," he said.
                            Anyone here has family? Anyone here loves family...never mind self? GK is family!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

so...after all of that...should he resign? yes or no.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No one has ever questioned his integrity as far as I know Willi, even Omar Davies made a point to say he has every confidence in Webhy's abilities but all the people I hear who are opposing are asking, is to remove any conflict that may arise...that's all, so when people talk bout bitterness and smoke screen them deh pon dem own.
                                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                                Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                                X