• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Remove Wehby, Grace conflict'

'Remove Wehby, Grace conflict'
    published: Tuesday | September 18, 2007

WEHBY
    President of the Jamaica Chamber Of Commerce, Mark Myers, wants the Government to remove the apparent conflict of interest as it relates to the Cabinet appointment of Don Wehby, a former executive of GraceKennedy Limited.

"Whatever steps that need to be taken to make it as clear as possible to ensure that there is no conflict of interest, those steps should be taken so as to make sure that any of Mr. Wehby's action could not be misconstrued," said Mr. Myers yesterday when asked by The Gleaner to comment on the matter.

Mr. Wehby was last week appointed by the Bruce Golding administration as Minister Without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and Public Service.

Resigned
    Since then Mr. Wehby has resigned from the boards of GraceKennedy and its subsidiaries in keeping with the provisions of Ministry Paper No.19/2002, which sets out the conduct of ministers.

Mr. Wehby will receive his full salary as a minister from government.

However, GraceKennedy will pay Wehby the difference between his ministerial salary and what he previously obtained from the business conglomerate.

This has, however, drawn criticisms from the Opposition People's National Party, which has argued that there is a conflict of interest with Wehby's appointment to Government and his continued affiliation with GraceKennedy.

The Chamber of Commerce yesterday echoed the Opposition's concern.

"Remove the conflict by putting him on the public pay roll since he is in fact doing a public job," said Myers.

He, however, pointed out that he has no reason to question the integrity of Mr. Wehby, and pointed out that it is very difficult for one to divorce his/herself from their connections.

A difficult position
    "It is kind of a difficult position to ask one person to be totally independent of anything unless you are going to end up with a person who has very little experience or little drive to get thingsdone on a personal level," Myers said.

But, Omar Azan, president of the Jamaica Manufacturers Association has a different view on the matter.
    "I look at it as GraceKennedy being a good corporate citizen and paying for part (of his salary)...,"he explained.

Mr. Azan said that he knows that Mr. Wehby is a man of integrity, but said there is a conflict of interest as he will be privy to information especially in the banking sector, which would be helpful to him if he were to go back to his company. "Knowing Don, I don't think he would use it. I don't think he is a man who would ruin his integrity for that," he said.

Last edited by Karl; September 18, 2007, 12:01 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

regardless of whether he is a man of integrity or not, such a conflict should not exist. He should cease all connections to Grace. If they want Grace to pay him still simply give him an exit cash bonus or stock bonus. That way he will still get the compensation he would have received from Grace under the current arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      regardless of whether he is a man of integrity or not, such a conflict should not exist. He should cease all connections to Grace. If they want Grace to pay him still simply give him an exit cash bonus or stock bonus. That way he will still get the compensation he would have received from Grace under the current arrangement.
      This is a great hullabaloo over nothing. It is a pointless distraction thrown out by the PNP to attempt to mitigate what is by most accounts an inspired move by the Prime Minister. This thinking and action throws into sharp relief the dull and unimaginative ponderings that characterized the previous administration, specifically Omar Davis and the finance ministry. I am not sure what this supposed conflict of interest is. What is the gentleman going to do? Create a policy that will enable Grace’s financial services to thrive to the exclusion of all other financial services in Jamaica? I think not! In any case there are mechanisms existing to monitor the conduct of the Minister if the political will exists to use them. Engineering some fictitious or imagined ‘cutting of all ties’ with Grace Kennedy will do nothing.

Comment

sounds like a conflict that is capable of being resolved and therefore should be resolved.

btw where were all these vigilant voices during vin lawrence's tenure as...god? exactly how many conflict of interest situations there were?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Does the fact that the JCC also have a problem with it mean anything to you? Are you capable of disagreeing with anything at all done by the JLP and Orette?

I can just imagine if the PNP had done this.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Simple! And he can still bring back secrets to Grace when he returns. But for now, NO GRACE SALARY!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

can you?! vin lawrence!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

And if there was one, tell me again why we should continue with the foolishness?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ah....very good question...the old bait and switch! it has to do with credibility.

one quick question would you welcome OJ simpson (and stand shoulder to shoulder) in a picket line protesting against adams in the kraal and braeton trials?

Comment

Huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

answer the question...just answer the question...yes or no.

Comment

I would not welcome him, but I wouldn't run him either.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you what is funny...danhai williams give a similar (albeit to a different question) answer under oath.

thanks.

btw...why wouldn't you welcome him?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Does the fact that the JCC also have a problem with it mean anything to you? Are you capable of disagreeing with anything at all done by the JLP and Orette?

I can just imagine if the PNP had done this.
                            I had no problem when Douglas Orane was made an independent senator. I had no problem when the finance and other ministries commissioned reports from competent private sector committees (like the Orane report or the matalon report). I saw no conflict of interest, real or imagined. What I had a problem with, was that they wouldn't implement any of the substantive recommendations of any of these reports so blinkered was their thinking. You would be wrong, if you think that I would have had a problem if Omar recruited someone of the caliber of a Patrick Hilton or if Phillip Paulwell recruited someone of the caliber of a Patrick Casserley to drive policy direction in there respective ministries. Bill Clarke always used to call for such thinking.

This whole thing is a red-herring tossed out by sour-puss Omar Davis because it exposes the inadequacy of critical thinking and the insufficiency of posotive action that mired the finance ministry under his stewardship.

Comment

So the JCC not mekking sense then?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X