• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webly to tackle debt dilemma

Wehby to tackle debt dilemma
    published: Monday | September 17, 2007

Athaliah Reynolds, Staff Reporter

Prime Minister Bruce Golding congratulates Don Wehby (right), Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and Public Service, after he took the Oath of Office and Oath of Allegiance. - Rudolph Brown/Chief Photographer

TAKING A two-year leave from his job as deputy head of GraceKennedy Limited and CEO of GK Investments, Donald Wehby Jr. hopes to bring fresh new strategies to managing the country's struggling economy.

Speaking with The Gleaner after the swearing-in ceremony of members of the new Cabinet at King's House last Friday, Senator Wehby, who will serve as Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and Public Service, said that his first task would be tackling Jamaica's dept problem.

With a solid background in finance, the Stanford University graduate said it was critically important to get the country's economy in line.
    "That is my day-one job. That is extremely important if we are going to have growth in our country," he said.

Wehby argued that the national debt at this time was extremely high and he wanted to work to create a strategy to bring the numbers down.
    Citing his extensive and successful tenure in finance and accounting, Wehby explained that it was never his plan to enter politics.

"I've always seen myself as a private-sector person," he said. He, however, explained that he was prompted to make a career change with the hope of effecting some change and growth in his country.

"A lot of us sit on the veranda and complain," he told The Gleaner. "But I have decided to make an active decision to get off the veranda and go out and do something about it."

athaliah.reynolds@gleanerjm
    Last edited by Karl; September 17, 2007, 04:20 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Instead of trying fi talk bout 3 people a do Davis job we need to get an explanation from Davis how the debt is climbing the dollar is devaluing and no economic growth.

If it take 3 or even ten people to turn it around it will be damn worth it.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Instead of trying fi talk bout 3 people a do Davis job we need to get an explanation from Davis how the debt is climbing the dollar is devaluing and no economic growth.

If it take 3 or even ten people to turn it around it will be damn worth it.
      ... but Omar had some success wid the MOU! hehehe.

There was a song, "Too many women" someone need to change the tune to "too many comics!"
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Heh heh! Yes, he wants to get off his uptown veranda and do something. Good for him!

Some of us need to get off our Internets and do something. What HL say? Facta non verba?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agreed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X