Today's money - Power 106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's money - Power 106

...with Ronnie Thwaites - Moderator, and a list of high power panalists discuss - (my title) How do you get the economy going?

Official topic: "Economic challenges and problems facing Jamaica and new JLP government" (Hope I got that right!)

Interesting!

Snap-shot: I think the main point was "bring money in"/tek weh wi (outside of the island entities) money and tek hit ome" = investments and 'whatever'. Point being earn more than we have to spend....and, that will drive the economy.

Any other person sees it that way?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

dem just realise?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      dem just realise?
      Thought Maudib and others here claimed I was taking foolishness when I mentioned -

1. Our private sector has always been lousy. No help in creating meaningful inflows of foreign exchange excepting in the tourist industry. Private sector is a drag - making profits mainly from papering over inefficiencies by increasing mark-ups.

2. The PNP had nowhere to go except increasing spending on social programs, physical infrastructure and increasing size of government to relieve social pressures - e.g. the numbers leaving and graduating from our education insitutions have to be absorbed or we face - an explosion of social unrest.

The JLP also has nowhere else to go.

3. The matter of encouraging investments - e.g. the massive inflows of investment in the hotels and the spin-off local investments and or opportunities created as direct result to aid in absorbtion of potential workers...was under the PNP the way to go and still is a must under the JLP!

4. Turning to loans - local and in the international marketplace & seeking grants, etc...even as there is the realisation that the balance of payments and debt burden situation worsens...was a must under the PNP and still is under the JLP.

When the 'klansmanship' was at its heights all the above was 'shouted down as nonsense'...the PNP was giving away the country to the investors...and, borrowing its way into driving the country into poverty and we were worse off than 18 years ago! Well the JLP has, like a dog running at a car, caught 'it'...let us see what the JLP will consider their reality and what they will do?

Said it already - There is no other place to go except down the same road the PNP was leading us. Encourage external investors to come it - spin-off growth of local investments...improve local services and infrastructure...increase social programs (and it follows that the size of government -civil and quasi-government - shall increase)

...remittances - inflows of goods and cash, migration of our people will and shall remain as additional pressure relieving valves!

Hopefully over time inflows of investments will allow for local private sector to awaken and somehow start producing some set of produces and or supply some set of services that external world markets desire in sufficient quantities that the inflows outstrip the outflows when added to our current earnings from sources outside of the island.

The JLP comes in with no magic wand - a lot of persons are going to be quickly disillusioned!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

And their leader does not have market sensibilities about him.

Yay!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          And their leader does not have market sensibilities about him.

Yay!
          ...I can only say the JLP was pushing the line that the PNP was doing -zilch...

...excepting in the debate where, I think I heard Bruce in the one-liner say something about 'the PNP doing some things that the JLP shall continue'...or, some such thing!

Comment

We shall see how much they continue. Last night, Pearnel Charles was taking credit for some construction workers getting contracts in British Columbia, saying it was a policy of this govt. or some such thing!

heh heh! A suh di govt. yah a move fass?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Thought Maudib and others here claimed I was taking foolishness when I mentioned -

1. Our private sector has always been lousy. No help in creating meaningful inflows of foreign exchange excepting in the tourist industry. Private sector is a drag - making profits mainly from papering over inefficiencies by increasing mark-ups.

2. The PNP had nowhere to go except increasing spending on social programs, physical infrastructure and increasing size of government to relieve social pressures - e.g. the numbers leaving and graduating from our education insitutions have to be absorbed or we face - an explosion of social unrest.

The JLP also has nowhere else to go.

3. The matter of encouraging investments - e.g. the massive inflows of investment in the hotels and the spin-off local investments and or opportunities created as direct result to aid in absorbtion of potential workers...was under the PNP the way to go and still is a must under the JLP!

4. Turning to loans - local and in the international marketplace & seeking grants, etc...even as there is the realisation that the balance of payments and debt burden situation worsens...was a must under the PNP and still is under the JLP.

When the 'klansmanship' was at its heights all the above was 'shouted down as nonsense'...the PNP was giving away the country to the investors...and, borrowing its way into driving the country into poverty and we were worse off than 18 years ago! Well the JLP has, like a dog running at a car, caught 'it'...let us see what the JLP will consider their reality and what they will do?

Said it already - There is no other place to go except down the same road the PNP was leading us. Encourage external investors to come it - spin-off growth of local investments...improve local services and infrastructure...increase social programs (and it follows that the size of government -civil and quasi-government - shall increase)

...remittances - inflows of goods and cash, migration of our people will and shall remain as additional pressure relieving valves!

Hopefully over time inflows of investments will allow for local private sector to awaken and somehow start producing some set of produces and or supply some set of services that external world markets desire in sufficient quantities that the inflows outstrip the outflows when added to our current earnings from sources outside of the island.

The JLP comes in with no magic wand - a lot of persons are going to be quickly disillusioned!
              Is it possible to be more dissillusioned ? I figure the PNP had taken that to the limit...

18 years and this is what we are left with ?

And dem have di heart fi run fi election ?

Heh, heh.. any serious country (pick any in the region) dem would have to just run.. run fi dem life.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                Is it possible to be more dissillusioned ? I figure the PNP had taken that to the limit...

18 years and this is what we are left with ?

And dem have di heart fi run fi election ?

Heh, heh.. any serious country (pick any in the region) dem would have to just run.. run fi dem life.
                I hope that does not apply to the JLP at the end of the 5 years...or, that may mean you would have no alternate party to elect to govern?

Comment

Working...
                X