RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this deserve a new thread? - Costly Cabinet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this deserve a new thread? - Costly Cabinet!

Costly Cabinet! Salary bill for new executive about $15 million
    published: Sunday | September 16, 2007

Tyrone Reid, Enterprise Reporter

Golding, Simpson Miller and Patterson

While not being the largest in the country's history, Prime Minister Bruce Golding's Cabinet might be the most expensive ever, as it will cost the country close to $66 million per annum to cover the basic salaries of the 18 members.

Prime Minister Golding yesterday named 11 state ministers and two parliamentary secretaries. This compares to the 12-member second-tier leaders appointed by Prime Ministers Patterson and Simpson Miller during their tenures.

Golding's naming of his second-tier leaders will push the annual salary bill of the political directorate to over $100 million. The $66 million for Cabinet members does not include all the allowances payable to them, which can run close to $700,000 per year for some ministers.

Meanwhile, Don Wehby, former senior executive at GraceKenndey Limited, who has been named minister Without portfolio in the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, will receive his full salary as a minister from government. However, GraceKennedy will pay Wehby the difference between his ministerial salary and what he previously obtained from the business conglomerate. This has been disclosed by Douglas Orane, chairman Douglas Orane, Chairman and CEO of GraceKennedy Limited, who told The Sunday Gleaner that Wehby has been granted two years leave of absence in response to government's request for him to join the Cabinet.

Orane said Wehby resigned on Thursday from the boards of the parent company and its subsidiaries, eping with the provisions of Ministry Paper No.19/2002 which sets out the conduct of ministers.

One feature that Golding's Cabinet has that Simpson Miller, and Patterson's last Cabinet did not have is the position of Deputy Prime Minister, which attracts a higher salary level than that of a Cabinet Minister.

However, the nation's eighth Prime Minister defended the size of his Cabinet during the swearing in ceremony on Friday. Golding argued that the issue of size is relative and that some of our Caribbean neighbours with smaller populations have larger Cabinets.

"Guyana, which has a smaller population than we do, has 23 members of its Cabinet; Trinidad has 24 members in the Cabinet. And, it would have been good, it would have been politically correct to try to look at a number that would satisfy the concerns of big government," argued Golding. "An 18-member Cabinet does not necessarily signify big government."

Golding, who also noted that he was "mindful of the enormous expectations that exist about the government" that he leads, reasoned that the size of the Cabinet is a means to an end.

"Therefore in my judgement there was need for me to ensure that there was adequate policy direction in order to ensure that the government would focus on the variety of tasks that we need to fulfil in order to make real, make good on the mandate that we have received," he explained.

Notwithstanding, Golding's Cabinet will cost the country approximately $15 million dollars per annum more than the previous Cabinet, which was headed by the country's seventh Prime Minister, Portia Simpson Miller. The country's first female head of government slashed her Cabinet by three to 14 ministers. Former Prime Minister, P.J. Patterson, her predecessor had 17 members in his Cabinet. There has not been an increase in the salaries payable to parliamentarians and the political directorate since October 2002.

P.J.'s last Cabinet (17)
    Prime Minister (1)$4,706,344
    Finance Minister (1) $3,813,092
    Ministers (15) $52,959,615
    Cabinet total $61,479,051

Portia's Cabinet (14)
    Finance Minister (1) $3,813,092
    Ministers (12)$42,367,692
    Cabinet total $50,887,128

Bruce's Cabinet (18)
    Deputy PM (1)$4,118,493
    Minister of Finance (1)$3,813,092
    Cabinet Ministers (15) $52,959,615
    Cabinet total $65,597,544
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Do not see a problem with this type of monkey money. As said (sorry gamma) consistently it is the salary/output relationship that is important.

Let me repeat what I once said on this forum - when there was discussion of the salary being paid to my good friend *Gavin Chen: I would prefer to pay each cabinet minister and each consultant $1,000,000,000.00 each and have the citizens' having minimum wage of $10,000,000.00 rather than paying cabinet ministers and consultants $1,000,000.00 each and the vast majority 'sucking salt'!

Objections to salaries of these our servants is 'penny wise and pound foolish exercise'. One reason excellent...well qualified persons will gravitate towards 'jobs' is attractive financial rewards. Just maybe...if the positions of cabinet members, MPs and consultants were very attractive we would have qualified...well qualified and extremely competent persons 'lining up'/'climbing over each other' for these positions and all of us, including the poorest of the poor would be the better for it?

Aside: I am of the opinion that part of the noise being made about salaries being too high has a strong dose of 'red eye'! Wonder how many thinking selves highly qualified to carry out the 'job'...being among those those making the noise would...having no other comparable option, turn away from such a salary

*Gavin's salary and perks, if I remember correctly, was upwards of $9,000,000.00 per annum.
    Last edited by Karl; September 16, 2007, 07:32 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

At tyhe end of the day if the performance is there the size of the cabinet will be a non-issue. If with an expanded cabinet they are not able to achieve superior performance then they will and should be called on it.

As a side note, i heard that when they asked Omar what he thought about the new financial team he jokingly said something like "Three ministers needed to replace me? I am flattered!"
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        At tyhe end of the day if the performance is there the size of the cabinet will be a non-issue. If with an expanded cabinet they are not able to achieve superior performance then they will and should be called on it.

As a side note, i heard that when they asked Omar what he thought about the new financial team he jokingly said something like "Three ministers needed to replace me? I am flattered!"
        Omar's math is wrong.

its One and a half, as he never had the Public Service, though I think he had Planning, so maybe its more like 2 replacing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Agreed! The only way it should be - level/quality of performance!

Comment

PNP balks at JLP choice of Wehby

The Opposition People’s National Party (PNP)) is raising strong objections to the appointment of Don Wehby, GraceKennedy’s chief operating officer, in charge its Financial Services Division, to the Cabinet.

Former Finance and Planning Minister, Dr Omar Davies, said even if Minister Wehby is not given responsibility for policies relating to financial management of the country, he will have access to sensitive information. The Finance Ministry has access to all information on all financial institutions in the country.

Dr. Davies argued that the fact that Minister Wehby has not given up responsibility for GraceKennedy’s financial entities, and with the entities collectively forming a major player in the financial market, his appointment was unacceptable to the opposition.

Dr. Davies cited as “unacceptable”, the decision by GraceKennedy to pay Minister Wehby’s salary, adding that this was not a football coach or other public official, but a minister of government in the finance ministry.

“We are not going to accept this arrangement and I find it strange that the professional bodies in the private sector have not come out against it,” Davies said yesterday.

The former minister said he was amazed that Prime Minister Golding could seek to foster such an arrangement.

“I am looking forward to the details of Minister Wehby’s assignment for a clearer picture of his responsibilities,” Dr. Davies said.

The former minister, who was in charge of the country’s finance and planning portfolios for 14 years, described as “novel”, other assignments in the ministry. He said the appointment of three ministers was “unprecedented”, noting that this was taking place while Prime Minister Golding had taken the planning portfolio under his wings.

Dr. Davies said while he understood the appointment of Dwight Nelson to deal with public sector wages, he was interested in the reporting functions, since all three were full ministers.
            Audley Shaw was appointed Minister of Finance and Wehby and Nelson, ministers without portfolio in the finance ministry.

‘Immediate challenges’
            Commenting on “immediate challenges” facing the government, Dr. Davies said apart from accommodating the raft of election promises, the billion-dollar losses facing the state-run bus company Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) and the Sugar Company of Jamaica had to be dealt with. Negotiating a new Memorandum of Understanding with public sector workers would also have to start now, he noted.

Dr. Davies challenged the government to honour its election promise to make $150 million available to each Member of Parliament, saying, “It is not possible within a fiscal budget”.
            According to Davies, the quicker the government admits that this was just an election gimmick, the better it will be for them.

He sounded a warning that the opposition was not going to allow the government to get away with its wish list to the voters, and that he was not about to betray his constituents by walking away.

“I’m staying here to defend the people full speed ahead!” Dr. Davies declared
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Arrogant Omar
              published: Sunday | September 16, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

In the election debates, Mr. Audley Shaw, in his genial way, accused Dr. Omar Davies of "arrogance". Since then, Prime Minister Golding has, no doubt after careful consideration and sound advice, decided that he needed to appoint three Cabinet ministers to take Dr. Davies' place. In addition, he took the portfolio of planning under his own responsibility. It would seem, therefore, that Dr. Davies might have had something to be arrogant about.

What I am intrigued about, however, is the underlying concept and powerful symbolism to be detected in these appointments. First, we have the respected father figure, Mr. Dwight Nelson. Then, we have the politically immaculate son of the private sector, Mr. Don Wehby. And finally, Mr. Shaw himself, in the uncharacteristic but most welcome role of the one who is known to exist, but who is never seen or heard.

So, let us now all join hands and sing:

'Of three in one and one in three Our narrow minds might doubting be:

Till Nelson, Shaw and Wehby sit

To tame our fiscal deficit'

This has been described as a "master stroke" by Kevin O'Brien Chang, but there are other views.

I am, etc.,

DAVID COORE

info@pnpjamaica.com

2 Elmwood Close

Kingston 8
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Coore looks set to lose his consultancy money.

All like him needs to give youngsters a chance. Him heng on too long a drink milk.

Comment

Hmm....private sector paying Government Minister in Finance Ministry? Sound slike a no-no. Please let me hear the spin on this one. Why not offer him a consultancy?

Comment

You mean one of the founding fathers of our consitition?

Comment

I agree it is not proper, especially when the company who pays him is heavily invested in the financial sector itself.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The arrangement is inappropriate.

On another note, I think they need someone who is stronger than Wehby (I am not a big believer in him) to support Audley.

Comment

More like 4 persons. You have 3 in the finance ministry and planning and development is Bruce.

Flattering statement by the new prime minister.

Meanwhile, how does Audley Shaw stand it? It is clear that everyone sees him as a figurehead in the finance ministry. Why does Bruce insist on giving out important jobs to people who cyaan hangle di wuk?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Kevin O'Brien Chang -

What a dunce!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't think Coore is worrying about consultancy money. What you think, Exile?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X