Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For gamma: Golding's monumental task

Golding's monumental task

As I get older, I am realising that I am developing a soft spot that is only getting bigger each year. There was a time when the most heinous of occurrences would fail to get even the slightest emotional reaction out of me but now, all that has changed.

On Tuesday, while watching the swearing-in ceremony of our eighth Prime Minister, I was overcome with emotion. I am still trying to put my finger on why, though. I'm not sure if it's from a sense of relief, or if it was from Prime Minister Golding's inspirational address about creating wealth as opposed to alleviating poverty; about working together as a people as opposed to killing each other; and, about stifling corruption while giving the ordinary man a sense that he too can achieve great things through hard work in a society that will enable him as opposed to frustrating him.
    These were indeed grand words, delivered with the kind of skill we last saw when Michael Manley walked the land as the iconic prime minister he was.

As Golding spoke, I watched as the visiting leaders from across the Caribbean nodded in approval as he expressed his vision about the way forward for CARICOM, feeling a sense of pride that here was a man, who at least has the first part of Leadership 101 down pat - the ability to motivate and to inspire. (Right at this minute I am thinking about Portia's rant about "Don't draw me tongue" and a sense of relief washes over me.)

But that was the easy part. He now has to go out and fulfil those promises, or at least half of them, and there are many sceptics, myself included, who, while moved by Prime Minister Golding's words, now await the results of his actions. Because the bottom line is, we've heard stuff like this before.

There have been seven leaders before Prime Minister Golding, all of whom had their way of getting the people behind them. Sir Alexander Bustamante could inspire a nation with his conviction, and Norman Manley was a superior intellect. Michael Manley was 'fundamentally' the great orator, Shearer exuded quiet authority, and Seaga was the so-called financial wizard. Patterson was the schemer and Portia, well, Portia was Portia, let's leave it at that. Sangster was not in office long enough to leave an indelible mark on the country's history save for the fact that he died after being in office for a little under two months. But for all the different qualities that these leaders brought, their collective efforts have resulted in the Jamaica we have today - rampant crime, a sluggish economy and a frustrated people.

So, Prime Minister Golding's task is monumental and as he so rightly said, the task ahead is not for the Government alone. We all have to do our part. However, it is up to our new Prime Minister to continue to lead with the same level of inspiration that was evident in his speech on Tuesday, and with a little luck, things just might start to look a little brighter for most of us, not just some of us.

P.S. Congratulations to Asafa Powell for lowering his own world record in Rieti, Italy, on Sunday. It's just a pity that he did not have it in him to accomplish that great feat two weeks earlier in Osaka.

Send comments to shearer39@gmail.com or anansiweb.blogspot.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

yes? i have narrowed it down to cultism....i cannot have a reasoned discussion with you on these matters as you are the antithesis of objectivity.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It's time Jamaica become cognisant of the fact that Donald Sangster was more than "our shortest serving prime minister".

In fact, Sangster ran the govt. since independence as Bustamante was 78 years old and quite incapacitated.

So this nonsense about Sangster not leaving and indelible mark on our history - rot! Time he is given his due. He arguably presided over the country's most progressive period.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

same way him argue about Tappa.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

that is more objective!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hehehehehehe

Mi agree.

Comment

I wish he survived longer and I would have liked to see Vivian Blake win the PNP presidency. He was the heir apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                It's time Jamaica become cognisant of the fact that Donald Sangster was more than "our shortest serving prime minister".

In fact, Sangster ran the govt. since independence as Bustamante was 78 years old and quite incapacitated.

So this nonsense about Sangster not leaving and indelible mark on our history - rot! Time he is given his due. He arguably presided over the country's most progressive period.
                Neva kno yuh did born den?

...but, yuh karreck dat im run tings fi a good time before im did get PM before im name!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"There have been seven leaders before Prime Minister Golding, all of whom had their way of getting the people behind them. Sir Alexander Bustamante could inspire a nation with his conviction, and Norman Manley was a superior intellect" This is how Jamaica history gets fart up, Norman Manley was never a Prime Minister.

Who is this Guy writing this story?

Comment

Did he say Norman Manley was a prime minister?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I often wonder where Jamaica would be today if Blake had become PNP president. Most likely much better off.

I will say this for Michael Manley, from '72 to about 75 he implemented a lot of changes that should have been made the first year of independence. Just about everything after that was a total disaster and Jamaica is worse off for it.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Exactly he was very careful with his words. And NW Manley was indeed one of our better leaders if not the best.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Working...
                          X