• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A green government?

A green government?
    published: Wednesday | September 12, 2007

Peter Espeut, Contributor

There was no intention, I believe, to link the Jamaica Labour Party with when they chose green as their colour. They are, therefore, not to be confused with in Europe and elsewhere, often referred to as 'The Greens'. The environmental record of the JLP government of the 1960s and 1980s was less than enviable, and I am sure they wish to put those days far behind them and to begin again.

Their last two Environment Shadow Ministers have been unworthy, to put it mildly. Men of quality though they may be, neither opened his mouth even once to address an environmental issue, even though myriad opportunities abounded. The environmental movement would be right to look upon this new JLP government with extreme scepticism.

Their 2007 manifesto promised very little in the environmental sphere; in fact, it showed me that the JLP - like the PNP - does not understand the meaning of the word "sustainable"; their chapter heading "Sustainable Environment" borders on environmental illiteracy. The PNP government knew little and cared less about ecological matters. We await to see whether the JLP will change the course of the previous government on these matters.

Natural resource management
    The JLP manifesto shows clear recognition that there is a problem now with natural resource management, for it pledges to "Establish a stand-alone National Environmental Authority with statutory powers to protect the environment". Surely the JLP must know that we already have this in the NRCA/NEPA, so they must mean something else.

The real problem is that the environment portfolio is always combined with other portfolios to produce a ministry riddled with conflicts of interest. The way we have pursued housing, health and tourism (to name a few portfolios together with which the environment has been lumped over the last decade) is environmentally destructive, and Ministers of the Environment with these other agendas to pursue, have found themselves making invidious compromises. The manifesto must mean there will be a stand-alone Ministry of the Environment, which would not be conflicted with any other agenda. If this new JLP government did this, they would become a real Green Party!

I notice that the Cabinet proposed in The Sunday Gleaner, September 9 combined the environment portfolio with agriculture. This would be a new and different conflict from those pursued in the past by the PNP. The agriculture (fisheries) section of the JLP manifesto contains this welcome pledge: "Implementation of an environmental programme to stop the of our sea water and the use of dynamite and chemicals to reap fish and reverse the damage being done to our fish nurseries and coral reefs".

Sea water pollution
    It is well known that the major source of sea water pollution which damages our coral reefs is agricultural runoff, containing fertilizers and other agricultural chemicals. Over the years much of the destruction of our natural forests has been for the purpose of agriculture. A marriage of agriculture and the environment will create new and different and profound conflicts of interest within that ministry.

Let us see whether the JLP is a party which keeps its promises. Let us have a stand-alone ministry! I hope the JLP is going to start its term on the right environmental foot!

Persons are appointed to the Banana Board and the Coffee Industry Board who have expertise (and interest) in bananas and coffee; it was not the policy of the PNP to appoint persons to the NRCA Board with expertise (and interest) in the natural environment. We watch with great interestto see whether this new JLP government will change that course.

The creation and sustenance of protected areas is not specifically mentioned in the JLP manifesto, which is a glaring omission. Maybe they will argue that it is implied, because they clearly pledge to: "Protect Jamaica's wildlife especially its endemic species"; and globally the major strategy to do so is to create and sustain protected areas. The new government's policy with regard to existing and protected areas will be watched carefully.

Now we shall see if the JLP is really green!

Peter Espeut is a sociologist and is executive director of an environment and development NGO.
    Last edited by Karl; September 13, 2007, 10:02 AM.

Peter better be careful. He might have to "take it back".

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Peter better be careful. He might have to "take it back".
      "We await to see whether the JLP will change the course of the previous government on these matters."

Take a page out of Espeut book.

Comment

I have already said that. Yuh can't read? I said I will wait and see! How much time mi fi repeat it?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can we have a discussion about this without the finger pointing and the US vs.THEM?
          Maudib and Mosiah - what are your respective positions regarding environmental issues in Jamaica?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
            Can we have a discussion about this without the finger pointing and the US vs.THEM?
            Maudib and Mosiah - what are your respective positions regarding environmental issues in Jamaica?
            Jamaica should develop a 'Green Technology' strategy.. lots of opportunities there that will benefit Jamaica with its energy concerns and lost of greenfield opportunity given requirements of housing and inscreased industrial capacity

Comment

Working...
            X