• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another side of Phillip Phinn

Another side of Phillip Phinn
    Michael Burke
    Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thirty-three years ago in April 1974, I met a relatively quiet schoolboy by the name of Phillip Phinn. I had applied and was later accepted to do a course in theology at St Michael's Roman Catholic Seminary (now St Michael's Theological College). In an age when they were not called homework centres, such facilities were set up by churches of all denominations.

The then seminary rector, Father Donald Reece (since 1981 the Roman Catholic Bishop of Antigua) allowed some of the youngsters in the general vicinity to do their homework there. Phillip Phinn, at the time a Roman Catholic who attended church in Gordon Town, was one of them. Coming from humble beginnings, Phinn lived at Sugar Loaf, about two miles above Gordon Town, St Andrew, at the foot of the Blue Mountains.

In Jamaica, we respect people who go from rags to riches by their own hard work, although I never saw Phinn in rags. That he built a church which has a considerable following is not something to scoff at. That he is an influence in people's lives in persuading them to live by Christian principles is most creditable. It is ingratitude with regard to his contribution to Jamaica, along with cruelty, that he is now being mocked and jeered because his prophecies about former prime minister Portia Simpson Miller did not materialise.

I have very strong views against ministers of religion who speak of prophecy to favour any political party. I also do not believe that Phinn should have allowed himself, by his own account, to be so mesmerised by one of Portia's hugs so as to make a mockery of prophecy. But he should not be the subject of so much ridicule. He is married with children, I believe. What about the effect this is having on his family? We will face a judgement that is for all of us, including cartoonists.

I recall that Phinn attended St Andrew Technical High School. He awoke very early every school morning, walked about two miles down to Gordon Town, where he took a JOS bus to downtown Kingston and perhaps walked from there to STATHS on Spanish Town Road. One day he went to the seminary (next door United Theological College at Mona) with bumps on his face and hands.

After telling Father Reece, he told me that stones were heard on the roof of his humble house at Sugar Loaf. Apparently all members of his family living at his house had been similarly afflicted. I accompanied Father Reece to Phinn's house at Sugar Loaf to pray for all the members of his family and to remove whatever evil spirits, if any, that had befallen his family. Also accompanying Father Reece were Martin Murray (now deceased), Lawrence Marquis and James Wals, (then a university student, now principal of Brown's Town Community College in St Ann). Days later the bumps disappeared.

This is why I find the allegations about Phinn criticising the Roman Catholic Church unbelievable, especially as the prayers of a Roman Catholic priest rid him and his family of evil spirits. However, I have no proof that he ever did so. While at STATHS Phinn was persuaded to join the Inter-School Christian Fellowship (ISCF). Phinn asked the opinion of two Roman Catholic priests. One priest was against Phinn joining the ISCF because in those days that organisation was hostile to Roman Catholics.

The other priest did not see anything wrong with his joining ISCF because ecumenism was the buzzword of the day. Today, both priests now serve the Roman Catholic Church as bishops in two different places in the Caribbean. Phinn joined the ISCF and it was the beginning of his drift from the Roman Catholic Church. He began criticising ministers of religion who had degrees in theology. Indeed, he had disdain for university degrees. I have heard that he now introduces himself as Dr Phillip Phinn.

While it is true that "pride cometh before the destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18), Phinn is not the only one who needs to be reminded of that. As a teenager, Phillip Phinn literally took St Paul's exhortation to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). In mid-1975, there was a Roman Catholic youth rally in May Pen, Clarendon. As a seminarian, I was instructed to attend by taking a bus to May Pen and to invite Phillip Phinn to go with me.

In response to my invitation, he told me that he would have to pray first. The following day Phillip told me that God had given him permission and he went with me on a bus to May Pen. One day Phillip told me that he had had a dream that he was to go to Jamaica Theological Seminary. He learnt that such a school existed, although not a Roman Catholic institution.

I have been told that upon leaving school, Phinn was employed at the Bank of Jamaica. About 20 years ago I saw him after many years. By that time he was married and had started his own church. I have not seen him since. I hope Phillip Phinn can offer up the mocking and jeering as a way of identifying with the crucified Jesus Christ and I do hope he lives this one down.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

phinn mek him bed...."prophecy" not materialising made a mockery of more than just himself....not sorry for him.....wasn't sorry for jimmy swaggert, jim bakker or none of them who believe they are "closer to god"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma, have you read Pastor Phinn's CV? Are you aware of the work he has done at the UN?

hehehe. Sorry ... I couldn't say it with a straight face. I guess with training ....
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X