• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The diary of a Jamaican-born US citizen

The diary of a Jamaican-born US citizen
    published: Wednesday | September 12, 2007

The Editor, Sir:
    I was born in Kingston, Jamaica, at the University Hospital, the first of four children. By thetime I was nine, my parents 'got through' to migrate to New York, NY.

I remember them asking us if we wanted to see snow. We were all excited about seeing it for the first time. After we came here and experienced winter, and subsequently snow, we said to our parents "okay we are ready to go back now". That's when we found out that there was no going back. We were told that life would be better here. We wondered 'for who'?
    In Jamaicawe had a big back and front yard and trees to climb. Our toes never got so cold that they burned when they were warming back up. Don't forget we also had a nice big apartment filled with relatives to try and run around in.

I decided as a teenager that I would move back to JA once I finished college. Well, by the time I finished college, I was a divorced, single mom making $30,000 a year teaching kindergarten. Time to move back now, right? Wrong! I had no money, student loans to pay back, and only very distant relatives with whom I could not live. Many of them wouldn't even know me if my parents weren't standing next to me.

So I moved to Florida where at least the pace is slower and there is no real winter. I found out the hard way that the cost of living in Fort Lauderdale is almost identical to NYC, but the pay was only half of what you would make in NYC doing the same job. After they outsourced my job to people in India, I decided that I could get a higher paying job in NYC and moved back. Six months after moving back, I got a job paying just $4000 more per year than what I was making in Florida. Now one might think that you can easily live on your own while raising a child on $30,000 (I came back to the same salary two years later) is easy, but I struggle to make ends meet every month.

Bed of roses
    After 27 years of living in the U.S. and going through the school system, I have no money saved and own no property. What I do have is bad credit and student loans to repay. You might think that my story happens to 1 out of 10 people, but sadly, the statistics are more like 7 out of 10. All those who might think that life is a bed of roses here and money is easy to come by, please think twice about packing up and moving here especially with children.

If you have a good job in JA and own your home, send your kids here to school or just come here to stay with a family member, work and go back home. Don't take for granted your beautiful beaches where you can de-stress, and the fruit you can pick off the trees so you never have to go hungry. Consider the concrete jungle, fast-paced life, and winter that we have here waiting for you.

I am, etc.,
    Stuck in America nmundy30@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Tilla; September 13, 2007, 12:09 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

The Editor, Sir:
    I was born in Kingston, Jamaica, at the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]University [COLOR=black! important]Hospital[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], the first of four children. By thetime I was nine, my parents 'got through' to migrate to [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]New [COLOR=black! important]York[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], NY.
    I remember them asking us if we wanted to see snow. We were all excited about seeing it for the first time. After we came here and experienced winter, and subsequently snow, we said to our parents "okay we are ready to go back now". That's when we found out that there was no going back. We were told that life would be better here. We wondered 'for who'?
    In [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR], we had a big back and front yard and trees to climb. Our toes never got so cold that they burned when they were warming back up. Don't forget we also had a nice big [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]apartment[/COLOR][/COLOR] filled with relatives to try and run around in.
    I decided as a teenager that I would move back to JA once I finished college. Well, by the time I finished college, I was a divorced, single mom making $30,000 a year teaching kindergarten. Time to move back now, right? Wrong! I had no money, student loans to pay back, and only very distant relatives with whom I could not live. Many of them wouldn't even know me if my parents weren't standing next to me.
    So I moved to Florida where at least the pace is slower and there is no real winter. I found out the hard way that the cost of living in Fort Lauderdale is almost identical to NYC, but the pay was only half of what you would make in NYC doing the same job. After they outsourced my job to people in India, I decided that I could get a higher paying job in NYC and moved back. Six months after moving back, I got a job paying just $4000 more per year than what I was making in Florida. Now one might think that you can easily live on your own while raising a child on $30,000 (I came back to the same salary two years later) is easy, but I struggle to make ends meet every month.
    Bed of roses
    After 27 years of living in the U.S. and going through the school system, I have no money saved and own no property. What I do have is bad credit and student loans to repay. You might think that my story happens to 1 out of 10 people, but sadly, the statistics are more like 7 out of 10. All those who might think that life is a bed of roses here and money is easy to come by, please think twice about packing up and moving here especially with children.
    If you have a good job in JA and own your home, send your kids here to school or just come here to stay with a family member, work and go back home. Don't take for granted your beautiful beaches where you can de-stress, and the fruit you can pick off the trees so you never have to go hungry. Consider the concrete jungle, fast-paced life, and winter that we have here waiting for you.
    I am, etc.,
    Heh, heh.. HA ! HA ! HAAAA!!

WHOEEEEEE !!

Karl, Jawge an di whole a unnuh.. come back to Jamaica ! We have beaches and fruits on trees !!!

HEE HEEE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

The Editor, Sir:
      I was born in Kingston, Jamaica, at the [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]University [COLOR=black! important]Hospital[/color][/color][/color], the first of four children. By thetime I was nine, my parents 'got through' to migrate to [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]New [COLOR=black! important]York[/color][/color][/color], NY.
      In [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]Jamaica[/color][/color], we had a big back and front yard and trees to climb. Our toes never got so cold that they burned when they were warming back up. Don't forget we also had a nice big [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]apartment[/color][/color] filled with relatives to try and run around in.
      Bed of roses
      I am, etc.,

So why does she think she's stuck in America. There are many flights a day to Jamaica, when last I checked. ..And whose fault is it that after 27 years she has no money saved, and owns nothing.

Can't feel sorry for her. She needs to get off her ARSE and get a second job or upgrade her skill level. Others have done it, so can she.

People don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

I was just about to post this and decided to check first, thanks Mosiah. Since I am on vacation I have time to go visiting with other Jamaicans and Black Americans and I find this to be the norm.

Yes there are some who own their own homes, re-mortgaged and fixed them up to have a decent place to live but I also found many living from hand to mouth.

Are they all stupid, lazy and dont want to go find second jobs or to upgrade themselves, some have degrees and have upgraded themselves but still bills are very difficult to meet.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          I was just about to post this and decided to check first, thanks Mosiah. Since I am on vacation I have time to go visiting with other Jamaicans and Black Americans and I find this to be the norm.

Yes there are some who own their own homes, re-mortgaged and fixed them up to have a decent place to live but I also found many living from hand to mouth.

Are they all stupid, lazy and dont want to go find second jobs or to upgrade themselves, some have degrees and have upgraded themselves but still bills are very difficult to meet.
          Do you know what the minimum wage is in America ?

Comment

There is hardship in every society and place. But sometimes people have "fi tighten them belt" (as Michael Manley) use to say and work through them situation.

No hands out nuh exist so she will have to look at the situation hard and long and find a way forward. Mi know the struggles - I've been through it & it can be conquered with reasonable long-term plans and goal setting.

Bottom line: Poverty is not a crime, but it is something to get out of as soon as you can
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

if yuh live above yuh means (which is EASY to do in america) then hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck will be your existence!

even many persons with a decent place cannot budget to buy an extra ice cream cone each month.....such is their debt obligation ...car, insurance, mortgage, homeowners association dues, WORSE if den have children (more insurance), clothes, shoes....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

das it right there.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

One has to know how often to eat out, vs. buying the grocery and cooking at home. Some days yuh brown bag yuh lunch and keep things balanced.

Now and again you have to treat yourself yes, nothing wrong wid that, as long as it's not going overboard.
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                    Heh, heh.. HA ! HA ! HAAAA!!

WHOEEEEEE !!

Karl, Jawge an di whole a unnuh.. come back to Jamaica ! We have beaches and fruits on trees !!!

HEE HEEE !!
                    Thought you said there were no jobs? Brucie create enough fi all at home without jobs and all-a-wi who live outside of the island?

Brucie good bad!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      if yuh live above yuh means (which is EASY to do in america) then hand to mouth and paycheck to paycheck will be your existence!

even many persons with a decent place cannot budget to buy an extra ice cream cone each month.....such is their debt obligation ...car, insurance, mortgage, homeowners association dues, WORSE if den have children (more insurance), clothes, shoes....
                      Dis sound lacka man who a hen-joy im pickney dem but nuh waan nex man fi ave pickney?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

just say no to crack karl....why have children if you cannot afford them? so you can send them to beg?

children are a serious responsibility...they didn't ask to be here so bringing them into a life of strife and misery does them a disservice!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                          Thought you said there were no jobs? Brucie create enough fi all at home without jobs and all-a-wi who live outside of the island?

Brucie good bad!
                          Do you do hard drugs ?

Comment

mi youth waa wear nike maxes, straight outta di white boxes, pay the water, light, mad bills, gimmie 4 no 5 advils, when mi remeber the high taxes, bus fair raise prices, pressure come down like 9 oxes, mi get mad affi rises gloces!-The Greatest Lyricist of all time, Vybez kartel!
                            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

heroine is the "IN" thing these days
                              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X