I think this is a record we would not want-Bruce having to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this is a record we would not want-Bruce having to

concede victory if - Harry Douglas is declared the winner in that seat were the DOE has suddenly found 2 boxes...and, the challenges in the courts have an outcome favouring the PNP...Could posssibly be a gain of 3 seats by the PNP and loss of 3 seats by the JLP -
    Possible result - JLP = 30; PNP = 30!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Well, as of 6PM this evening Bruce is PM. Then he has the option to call another election.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Well, as of 6PM this evening Bruce is PM. Then he has the option to call another election.
      Yuh watching the clock eagerly, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Yuh watching the clock eagerly, huh?
        Cyaan say me a lyad now eh? I thought you left for the ceremony.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I am going to watch it on the Internet.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post

Gamma: If the possibility outlined above came to pass ....would his swearing-in still be valid?

Haven't a clue!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I don't see it wouldn't be valid.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the gg swears in the person who in his opinion has control of the house ... at 30 - 30 with the possibility of the speaker coming from the elected mps (not like to happen in this scenario)...any card could play.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Gamma: If the possibility outlined above came to pass ....would his swearing-in still be valid?

Haven't a clue!
                  Your ONLY dream is to see the incompetent PNP still govern the country. How yuh sleep a night time?

Comment

Haven't a clue!
                    Same as if people crossed the aisle. It would just bring down the Govt and fresh elections would be called.

It is unlikely that courts could award seats to losers. Likely outcome would be bi-elections in those cases.

I still maintain that these consitutional challenges are cynical self serving IMMORAL acts. These examples of political gamesmanship would have be OK IF they did not side passivley by and WATCH the law being broken. This is not the kind of behaviour that I expect from people seeking seats in the legislature.

I imagine that we will have even MORE distractions now, instead of concentrationg on how to move Jamaica forward. There is still the issue of declarations of those prospective MPs who have contracts with the GOJ. I am sure that the JLP as soon as they take over the reins will be scouring the records to see who they can disqualify.

In the best interests of Jamaica, what should be done is to make efforts to tighten up the screening of prospective candidates for both issues, rather than seeking cynical legal redress. We can be fairly certain that BOTH parties have had MPs in the past who have been in violation of both provisions. A little maturity is needed or we will always be in a state of "bangarang".

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      the gg swears in the person who in his opinion has control of the house ... at 30 - 30 with the possibility of the speaker coming from the elected mps (not like to happen in this scenario)...any card could play.....
                      Well three things - i) Harry Douglas may just be declared winner. He was so declared at the end of the preliminary count...when I think all the boxes included the 'lost boxes' were counted. Apparently on the declaration at the end of supposedly full re-count his opponent was declared the winner.

Harry even came on NNN yesterday declaring...in his usual full of fun way joking with the commentators...that he was certain he had won. So, again, he may have won.

ii) I expect any challenging of those persons being questioned as having foreign citizenship will take a long time before being resolved.

I am not certain if those persons challenged can take their places in the HOUSE. If they cannot take their seats...it could present a problem if the opposition PNP were not of a conciliatory mindset. ..but, could such persons take their seats and therefore participate fully in the various deliberations and actions?

Mi nuh kno the position if that hold!

iii) Bruce being PM may not be a problem if we end up with a 30 -30. There could be a sharing of the role - JLP rules for 2 years and 6 mounths...PNP for 2 years and 6 months and as Gamma says the Speaker is deliberately chosen from the party in opposition i.e. that action agreed to by both the JLP and PNP. It would all depend on mindset...

...if there could be no - compromise by the parties - NEW ELECTIONS?
                      What would the PNP do - new leader before such an election?

...anyway, the entire above is a big - "IF"...
                      Let's see what happens in Harry's seat - counting nuh dun yet! ...and, if the challenges in court are allowed to go forward or they are withdrawn (Yes, that can happen) ...and, if they do go forward, what results!

Gamma?
                      Last edited by Karl; September 11, 2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

speaker is not chosen from the opposition...they may....as yuh seh...unnuh start campaigning already.

i believe if a new election were to be called, the pnp would lose heavily...people are slowly getting tired of the retain power by any means necessary approach together with all the "gridlock" argument.....pnp runs the risk (as did portia) of losing popularity because of their behaviour.

i would like the country to get on with it now...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well three things - i) Harry Douglas may just be declared winner. He was so declared at the end of the preliminary count...when I think all the boxes included the 'lost boxes' were counted. Apparently on the declaration at the end of supposedly full re-count his opponent was declared the winner.

Harry even came on NNN yesterday declaring...in his usual full of fun way joking with the commentators...that he was certain he had won. So, again, he may have won.

ii) I expect any challenging of those persons being questioned as having foreign citizenship will take a long time before being resolved.

I am not certain if those persons challenged can tak there place in the HOUSE. If they cannot take their seats...it could present a problem if the opposition PNP were not of a concillaratory mindset. ..but, could such persons take their seats and therefore participate fully in the various deliberations and actions?

Mi nuh kno the position if that hold!

iii) Bruce being PM may not be a problem if we end up with a 30 -30. There could be a sharing of the role - JLP rules for 2 years and 6 mounths...PNP for 2 years and 6 months and as Gamma says the Speaker is chosen from the party in opposition. It would all depend on mindset...

...if there could be no - compromise by the parties - NEW ELECTIONS?
                          What would the PNP do - new leader before such an election?

...anyway, the entire above is a big - "IF"...
                          Let's see what happens in Harry's seat - counting nuh dun yet! ...and, if the challenges in court are allowed to go forward or they are withdrawn (Yes, that can happen) ...and, if they do go forward, what results!

Gamma?
                          Until the courts sez otherwise...all the elected MPS WILL be sworn in. They may be declared ineligible afterwards...the law is the law.

I also heard that Ian Hayles may have renounced too late, in that he applied but was nott granted the renouncement by the Federal courts BEFORE nomination day, so he too may be ineligible.

Comment

speaker is not chosen from the opposition...they may....as yuh seh...unnuh start campaigning already.

i believe if a new election were to be called, the pnp would lose heavily...people are slowly getting tired of the retain power by any means necessary approach together with all the "gridlock" argument.....pnp runs the risk (as did portia) of losing popularity because of their behaviour.

i would like the country to get on with it now...
                            I agree, I think they run a huge risk of a big defeat. Better to concentrate on doing a good job in Opposition and hoping that JLP messes up.

People are fed up with the politicking and will be vengeful at the polls.

Comment

If there is to be new elections - The PNP would be fools to be the one's demanding it. The approach would ahve to be a civil - sitting and watching the JLP.

The tone inside and out side of parliament would have to be staking out Bruce's victory speech type utternaces and explaning of any PNP moves framed in the context of 'compromise'. Tek weh Bruce nice-nice position.

Wage a campaign with that as 'upfront theme'...and, deal only with - if the elections is an early one - the perception that the JLP does not know how to deal with the situation they have inherited...and the PNP had everything in place to continue running the country...plans in the works ...ongoing and past good works...nice and easy -soothing sounds...positive sounds...we know where we are going/we know what it is that must be done to not put more hardships on the people. That is the only way to go - and, Portia must have all the big guns coming out this time! UNITED FRONT!

...but, elections or no that is how it must be - a PNP smooth & soothing...wise and ready...with past actions, current projects...and new projects clearly outlined. Wid luv innah wi art!
                              Last edited by Karl; September 11, 2007, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X