Munro College student gets 10 distinctions, two credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munro College student gets 10 distinctions, two credits

Better by the dozen - Munro College student gets 10 distinctions, two credits in CSEC exams
    published: Tuesday | September 11, 2007

Denise Reid, Gleaner Writer

Ricardo Palmer

WESTERN BUREAU:
    Chalking up his tally of Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) subjects, Munro College student, Ricardo Palmer, gets a score of one dozen; with 10 distinctions and two credits no less!

At 11, Ricardo, then a student at Howard Cooke Primary, won the 2001-02 Gleaner-Children's Own Spelling Bee Parish Championship and then went on to place third in the island. Ricardo says his "moment of realisation" came when he was placed first in his class at age seven. "I realised I had a special ability then," he said, adding that with encouragement from his parents, he committed himself to always be successful.

Among top three
    Since then, he has been among the top three students in his classes throughout school, except the ninth grade, where, in addition to the regular curriculum, Ricardo scored two distinctions in the challenging areas of information technology and social studies.

Ricardo believes his Christian values have contributed to his success. "I have a very strong belief in God, and ask Him to lead the way. God must be at the forefront of everything," he said.

His faith no doubt gave him the confidence to pursue 10 subjects in the 11th grade, two of which he undertook in November of last year. He admits that it was challenging, as "sometimes the volume of work to be covered seemed discouraging".

Palmer states that God, his ambition, and encouragement from friends and family are among the things that inspire him. In addition, a key to his success is continuous self-evaluation. He said he constantly meditates and reflects. Headley Palmer, Ricardo's father, said: "His mother and I are very proud of his achievements." He said they expected their son to do well because "he sets a precedent for himself which he adheres to, so we were confident that he would do well". He also said that Ricardo has had excellent teachers who helped to cement his success.
    Last edited by Karl; September 11, 2007, 02:03 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

That city on the hill cannot be hid!!

Well done Munroe and Mo yuh deserve to feel proud.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Wow......Awesome! - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
        That city on the hill cannot be hid!!

Well done Munroe and Mo yuh deserve to feel proud.

There is no "e" in Munro!

Not sure if I am really that proud. I posted it just to kinda show off and get some school rivalry going. The fact is I have always said that results like this is for the family. While he is getting 12 CXCs, 75% of people like him are getting zilch. That is of greater concern to me than feeling proud about this.

Yes, it sounds a little pretentious and all that, but that's how I feel.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes mo... mi kno seh a show off yuh a show off... but its all good... mi luv fi see it tuh... we all can take pride in a jamaican's success...

causen seh wi a jamaicans!
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

There is no "e" in Munro!

Not sure if I am really that proud. I posted it just to kinda show off and get some school rivalry going. The fact is I have always said that results like this is for the family. While he is getting 12 CXCs, 75% of people like him are getting zilch. That is of greater concern to me than feeling proud about this.

Yes, it sounds a little pretentious and all that, but that's how I feel.
            Lawks, now yuh see why mi couldn't go a Munro (even if mi was a male), cause mi a spell it like mi girlfriend surname, and not like the ACADEMIC institution that it is
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
            X